De-arabization of Somali culture and somalia

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
It was written by a Somali? I thought it was an Arab/Ottoman observer. Do we know anything about the author?

Apparently @Shimbiris said it was a Yemeni. My bad.

Regardless, Arabic was the academic language of Somalis until independence.

The fact that diaspora do not speak it today is a testament to stronger Somali culture as opposed to the claim by OP.

Calmone20

Formerly CalmOne
Arabs have better music than Somalis, I hate to say it :manny:

Somali written in Arabic script looks better than Somali written in Latin script! We need to bring back Arabic script Somali

We need to copy what they have that is good and add a Somali twist to it.
You think Shakira's yodelling is better music ?

somalis are insular and should be. fock the world.

imagine if we werent part of the arab league. thousands of xalimos working as maids for 3 decades. khaliji diaspora would have the same status as xabashis. in the civil war the arab league was quite hands off. the arab league is nowhere near as destructive to us than the african union. dont forget arabnimo access to education.
What are you talking about Somali women do work as maids aka modern day slavery in the gulf region! Did u hear the story about the Somali women who were being abused in Saudi Arabia by their employers? They ended up being repatriated. Those animals don't care about our humanity. They're our enemy.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
What are you talking about Somali women do work as maids aka modern day slavery in the gulf region! Did u hear the story about the Somali women who were being abused in Saudi Arabia by their employers? They ended up being repatriated. Those animals don't care about our humanity. They're our enemy.

That was a small minority that got sent by Hasan Sheikh Mohamud in a deal with the Saudis less than 6 years ago.

The Saudis paid the Somali government $50 million (according to rumours) for them to hire somali maids.

The Arab world and Somalis got extremely pissed at the deal because from the Arab perspective, if Somalis were fair game then they were fair game, and Somalis were angry because they knew what was going to happen to these ladies.

Alx, I think the women got repatriated and the deal abolished because of backlash.

Somali culture needs to stop mimicking Arabs. We are not Arabs. Arabs thing low of us,which is ridiculous since we are better than them in every way. Arabs gave bought nothing but trouble to Somalia.
Lol if you wanna practice original somali pagan ,topless reer baadiyo mooryaans praying to snakes & dancing naked go back 1400 years ago

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
If we are gonna talk about impact on the Somali language, living in the diaspora is slowly killing Somali. Way more Somalis live outside of Somalia's 1960 borders than inside it, which will inevitably have an impact on informal Somali.

I have seen actual habaryars and adeers in Melbourne mix Greek into their terms (approx 10-20% of Melbourne is Greek). My hooyo unironically calls kebabs/shawarma "souvlaki".

Also the main imam in Melbourne (who is Somali) sometimes goes on Italian-language radio to do interviews in Italian. The Italian population in Melbourne is around 5% and the Somalis used to live in public housing near Little Italy, now whenever I go its not uncommon for someone to ask if I speak Italian because of the older generations of Somalis that used to live there.

:kanyehmm:

That was a small minority that got sent by Hasan Sheikh Mohamud in a deal with the Saudis less than 6 years ago.

The Saudis paid the Somali government $50 million (according to rumours) for them to hire somali maids.

The Arab world and Somalis got extremely pissed at the deal because from the Arab perspective, if Somalis were fair game then they were fair game, and Somalis were angry because they knew what was going to happen to these ladies.

Alx, I think the women got repatriated and the deal abolished because of backlash.
Still doesn't make me like them, they're racist assholes with declining IQ

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Still doesn't make me like them, they're racist assholes with declining IQ

I am not here to convince you to like anybody.

My point is that by painting a whole group of 400 million people with the same brush, we are continuing the negative cycle of prejudice.

Maybe it would be valid if they were democratic countries, because at least then the people chose their governments. Until that happens, I will not hate any MENA person because of their dictatorial governments and their prejudiced people, god knows how many prejudiced Somalis there are.

I am not here to convince you to like anybody.

My point is that by painting a whole group of 400 million people with the same brush, we are continuing the negative cycle of prejudice.

Maybe it would be valid if they were democratic countries, because at least then the people chose their governments. Until that happens, I will not hate any MENA person because of their dictatorial governments and their prejudiced people, god knows how many prejudiced Somalis there are.
Doesn't matter arabta hala waso, Somalis do the same to madows ,but for ayrabs they find excuses for their behaviour 🤦🏾‍♂️

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Doesn't matter arabta hala waso, Somalis do the same to madows ,but for ayrabs they find excuses for their behaviour 🤦🏾‍♂️

I have always called out Somalis that do the same to madoows on this site. It is abhorrent.

I have been called all sorts for having this view, laakin racism doesn't level the score, it just makes us stoop down to their level.

Last edited:
I have always called out Somalis that do the same to madoows on this site. It is abhorrent.

I have been called all sorts for having this view, laakin racism doesn't level the score, it just makes us stoop down to their level.
As long as the prejudice is equally disturbated then idc 😂

Xoxoxo

VIP
If we are gonna talk about impact on the Somali language, living in the diaspora is slowly killing Somali. Way more Somalis live outside of Somalia's 1960 borders than inside it, which will inevitably have an impact on informal Somali.

I have seen actual habaryars and adeers in Melbourne mix Greek into their terms (approx 10-20% of Melbourne is Greek). My hooyo unironically calls kebabs/shawarma "souvlaki".

Also the main imam in Melbourne (who is Somali) sometimes goes on Italian-language radio to do interviews in Italian. The Italian population in Melbourne is around 5% and the Somalis used to live in public housing near Little Italy, now whenever I go its not uncommon for someone to ask if I speak Italian because of the older generations of Somalis that used to live there.

:kanyehmm:
Isn’t that common? I work at a supermarket and this old Italian man talked to me in Italian and I politely told him I can’t speak the language which made him surprised. He told me many of his old Somali friends could speak Italian. We aren’t just as intelligent or well educated as our grandparents

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
These kinda threads usually have hidden meaning of "F Arabs, they brought us Islam".

Anyways modern day Arab nations are just tools of the West.

One thing I wish we could get rid of is the jilbaab and niqaab it’s the most ugliest thing. Even Arabs don’t wear it as much as Somalis and it’s there clothes 🙄

Wallahi, this place is obsessed with Arabs. Stop embarrassing us with your Arab fetish.
💯 walaahi, they dont even speak their own language, all of them dream in english and they’re ranting about arabs everyday😂

im starting to think that some are murtads and are using arabs as a smokescreen for their agenda.

Trending

Latest posts