Colin Powell Dead at 84

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
As someone that is an avid follower of public policy, it is a big loss. I read his biography and a lot about his time in public life.

Probably one of the only Republicans that I ever respected.

The Iraq war was one of his biggest failures but would have been worse had he not been Sec of State.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I never really believed that he supported the Iraq war and like many people in my field believe that was the reason why he was forced out in 2004.

It is well known that George W Bush was an incompetent president, having Cheney and Rumsfeld as well as their advisors essentially run point on anything important.

He was against the early Gulf Wars and the Yugoslavia interventions as well as the Somalia intervention because he didn't believe that American soldiers were "toy soldiers to be moved around on some global game board".

He actually resigned as Joint Chief of Staff because Clinton's administration didn't listen to his opinions regarding Somalia. Right after he resigned, the events of Black Hawk Down happened.

Therefore, I find it hard to believe that he backed the Iraq war when he was against more "morally justifiable" conflicts such as Desert Storm.

I never really believed that he supported the Iraq war and like many people in my field believe that was the reason why he was forced out in 2004.

It is well known that George W Bush was an incompetent president, having Cheney and Rumsfeld as well as their advisors essentially run point on anything important.

He was against the early Gulf Wars and the Yugoslavia interventions as well as the Somalia intervention because he didn't believe that American soldiers were "toy soldiers to be moved around on some global game board".

Therefore, I find it hard to believe that he backed the Iraq war when he was against more "morally justifiable" conflicts such as Desert Storm.
Dude endorsed Obama In both of his terms. He was even arguing for restraint in camp David when they were discussing the Iraq invasion. The Iraq war was popular in both the Republicans and Democrats. Hillary and Biden In fact voted for the war. He was a Republican economically but was never a coon.

"Bill Clinton Is still 'D---Ing Bimbos" is my only recent memory of this guy, which gave me a little chuckle at the time.

Last edited:
Round 6 Dancing GIF by Justin

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP

He actually resigned as Joint Chief of Staff because Clinton's administration didn't listen to his opinions regarding Somalia. Right after he resigned, the events of Black Hawk Down happened.

He had a great career

Trending