Buur Heybe Ancients

Nah, highly unlikely E-M293 is from pastoralist Red Sea Cushites, not (South) HOA hunter-gatherers like the Buur Heybe HGs. See this quote on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_E-Z827#E-V1515 (V15V15 is the ancestral version of M293).

I personally think they will have paternal haplogroup E-V16/E-M281, which was detected in our honorable @Geeljire Sandheer.

Apollo, I thought in an earlier thread in response to a Somali Kenyan with E-M293 results from 23AndMe, you were responding that it was south cushitic?

I am confused now by this pastoralist Red Sea Cushites reference for the same E-M293.

ANY UPDATES?
DNA extraction failed bar one which was unfortunately too low coverage to get any meaningful data.

On the flip side, the remains were 24,000bp which is very old. Hopefully there will be more excavations in the future at the site which I believe is currently controlled by Al-Shaydaan hopefully not for much longer.

DNA extraction failed bar one which was unfortunately too low coverage to get any meaningful data.

On the flip side, the remains were 24,000bp which is very old. Hopefully there will be more excavations in the future at the site which I believe is currently controlled by Al-Shaydaan hopefully not for much longer.

If they're actually dated to ~24000bp, I think that would make it the oldest known cemetery in Africa? I've seen the Grotte des Pigeons (Taforalt) cave in Morrocco (Iberomaurusians) referred to as the oldest and the oldest evidence of burials there are ~23000BP.

Last edited:

Damn. I really appreciate the update, sxb.

One sample?

That's tragic, been waiting for this one.

Trending