Buur Heybe Ancients

For many years the only prehistoric human skeletal evidence from Somalia was the highly fragmentary remains of at least two individuals recovered during World War II by workmen digging a trench at the Rifle Range Site, Buur Hakaba (Clark I954:251). The 1983 and 1985 excavations at Gogoshiis Qabe have now yielded 12 complete human burials from the Holocene deposits, bones of three of which have been ~4C dated to the early Holocene (Brandt in prep.). One individual dating to 6900 + 350 bp (Beta-7474) on the organic fraction and 5210 + 90 bp on apatite (Beta-7473) was buried on his stomach, with at least thirteen comptete sets of lesser kudu horn cores, still attached to the frontiers, placed directly over the body. A man and a woman dating to 5225 _+ 280 bp (UCLA-2705C) on the organic fraction were buried side by side and a pile of stones placed directly over them. Preliminary morphological analysis of these and the other skeletons (L. A. Schepartz pets. comm.; Brand t and Schepartz in prep.) indicates the presence ofa regionalIy distinct population at this time, aithough affinities with the late Pleistocene/early Holocene Sudanese and Kenya Rift Valley populations are suggested.

Some more information I found about the site.

In the 1980s, an excavation was done at the Buur Heybe which yielded multiple specimens and two full skeletons.

Photos of the excavation.

I emailed the man who conducted the excavation out of curiosity of what happened to the samples and if DNA could be extracted from them.

Turns out the Riech lab at Harvard have the specimens so hopefully we can get some ancient DNA from the sites which should be ready if all goes well in October.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Interesting stuff! Kept us updated!

I don’t know much about Somali tribes and the genetic makeup but I know on ancestry.com many Somalis get almost half South African hunter gathers on ancestry.com results. Is this where Somalis are getting it from?

Interesting stuff! Kept us updated!

I don’t know much about Somali tribes and the genetic makeup but I know on ancestry.com many Somalis get almost half South African hunter-gathers on ancestry.com results. Is this where Somalis are getting it from?

The Ancestry.com results are all wrong because it doesn't have an East African region and forces the use of wrong population.

The Hunter-gatherers in Somalia seems to be a unique population but distantly related to Hunter-gatherers in Kenya and Tanzania.

In my opinion, I don't think we have ancestry from them or from a related group but have ancestry from hunter-gatherers that lived near the Sudan/Eritrea border area.

As for how much, It could all be wrong and we have 0 and just mixed with a few of them leaving no genetic impact.

Though I think we do have some and the figure could be as high as 20% but we shall see when we get ancient DNA samples from this site and from Sudan.

land owner

Welcome to the yaab zone
VIP
The Ancestry.com results are all wrong because it doesn't have an East African region and forces the use of wrong population.

The Hunter-gatherers in Somalia seems to be a unique population but distantly related to Hunter-gatherers in Kenya and Tanzania.

In my opinion, I don't think we have ancestry from them or from a related group but have ancestry from hunter-gatherers that lived near the Sudan/Eritrea border area.

As for how much, It could all be wrong and we have 0 and just mixed with a few of them leaving no genetic impact.

Though I think we do have some and the figure could be as high as 20% but we shall see when we get ancient DNA samples from this site and from Sudan.
Around 10-12% of our mtdna comes from a paleo Somali HG population that inhabited Somalia, @Apollo can expound more into it I got this info from him

upload_2019-9-28_21-24-2.png

Here are some dates of the skeleton remains found with their lab IDs as well.

Trending

Latest posts