Are most of somalis mixed with levantine?

5% or less Bantu heritage would be difficult to notice from the phenotype. A white man who is 5% subsaharan african would still look white, the same applied to a somali. I think 20% or more Bantu admixture could be noticable from the phenotype, but anything less than that would still fit in the average Somali phenotype
That logic does not work, i showed up 74.5% somali but i look typical somali. I would say if you are about 30% foreign ancestory it should be noticeable.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Some Degoodis? Share those receipts. I'd love to get in contact with the many Degodias in general yall seem to come across that I havent and that has some of you speaking out of turn on qabils you know little about.

I would have 0 issue with bantu ancestry because I'm not anti-black which has some of you trying to pass the buck in a way you wouldnt had it been any other ancestry particularly Arab but we as Degodias are almost entirely surrounded by Somalis and the Boranas we have come to neighbor in our most recent history. We also don't have a history of close contact with bantu groups or slaveholding heritage. Let me know.
Nigga, relax. I don't have anything against Bantu ancestry or Degoodi folks. I just know that Apollo is partly trolling to exaggerate differences between northerners and southerners due to qabiil or more likely trolling which he's admitted to doing before.

It's also just that I have seen samples from their regions in Kenya that have minor Bantu. Like 1-3%. And was told they were probably Degoodi. Look up "Somali Kenyan Ayodo samples". There's two subsets among them. One subset is identical to Northern and Koonfur Somalis and has no Bantu (probably the Daroods and such from there as others have pointed out) whereas another subset has significant extra Mota-related ancestry (Omotic type admixture seemingly from mixing with Borana Oromos whom they cline towards in clusters) and minor Bantu. People reached out to me when I shared these results and pointed out they were probably Degoodi. And when I saw some of these guys online I did notice they sometimes look a little different which made sense.

Relax, walaal. I've got nothing against anyone.

My understanding of Levantine migration theory: Some folks migrated from the Horn to the Levant. Several thousands years later, they remigrated back.

The reasons for their original and U-turn migrations were never explained.

What I think of this theory: It makes no sense why folks leave a land of plenty back then and go through the dreaded desert to reach the Levant. And why would their descendants traveled through that extremely difficult terrain again? I saw no convincing rational of why people need to travel that road again twice.

My understanding of Levantine migration theory: Some folks migrated from the Horn to the Levant. Several thousands years later, they remigrated back.

What I think of this theory: It makes no sense why folks leave a land of plenty back then and go through the dreaded desert to reach the Levant. And why would their descendants traveled through that extremely difficult terrain again? I saw no convincing rational of why people need to travel that road again twice.
Maybe they were expelled by other advanced groups that evolved in the Caucascoid mountains., as the Natufians could not axpand into Euro Asia. As the first wave of human out of Africa migration had already established itself.

Last edited:
Levantine related ancestry =/= Levantine ancestry

The y-dna of the pastoral neolithic is overwhelmingly native Egyptian, neolithic levantines are just the best available samples right now.

CanoGeel

"Show respect to all people, but grovel to none"
What do you base that on?

The Gumuz are 90% proto-Nilotic and they don't look that different to the 80% proto-Nilotic Dinka-Nuer; in fact the Dinka are taller and slimmer.

Here's a Gumuz lady and a child

View attachment 213496
War Bani Shungul-Gumuz Ha Lii Geeyo, Wa ku Tuugaa
Schitts Creek Love GIF by CBC

Jumping On My Way GIF by Lil Dicky

Karaboga

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep

You should look up the green Sahara period. It coincides with the back migration of our ancestors to the horn of the Africa. It seems they occupied much of sudan and migrated south when the desert started to expand.

Nigga, relax. I don't have anything against Bantu ancestry or Degoodi folks. I just know that Apollo is partly trolling to exaggerate differences between northerners and southerners due to qabiil or more likely trolling which he's admitted to doing before.

It's also just that I have seen samples from their regions in Kenya that have minor Bantu. Like 1-3%. And was told they were probably Degoodi. Look up "Somali Kenyan Ayodo samples". There's two subsets among them. One subset is identical to Northern and Koonfur Somalis and has no Bantu (probably the Daroods and such from there as others have pointed out) whereas another subset has significant extra Mota-related ancestry (Omotic type admixture seemingly from mixing with Borana Oromos whom they cline towards in clusters) and minor Bantu. People reached out to me when I shared these results and pointed out they were probably Degoodi. And when I saw some of these guys online I did notice they sometimes look a little different which made sense.

Relax, walaal. I've got nothing against anyone.
Yeah no. This isnt a question of having an issue with Degodia but more of a problem of speaking out of your futos. You were told the ones with said admixture were Degoodi and the ones without were Darood. By who? because that sounds like 0 evidence, pure speculation and qabil propaganda. Your study doesnt even support that claim? If we're speculating you can speculate on your kin who border the bantu and enslaved them.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Yeah no. This isnt a question of having an issue with Degodia but more of a problem of speaking out of your futos. You were told the ones with said admixture were Degoodi and the ones without were Darood. By who? because that sounds like 0 evidence, pure speculation and qabil propaganda. Your study doesnt even support that claim? If we're speculating you can speculate on your kin who border the bantu and enslaved them.
*Hugs you, holds you tight, ruffles your maw and looks deep into your angry brown eyes*

I am not your enemy, niyahow. All khat munchers are my people, the Degoodi included. I 100% admit that it's pure speculation but it made sense to me at the time for the following reasons:

1) Reer Degoodi have lived in that area much longer than the other tribes who are relatively recent northern migrants so that means more time to mix with Borana Oromos and Bantus

2) I'd heard about intermarriages with Boranas at least from some folks who knew of them seemingly well online and I had no reason to believe had some qabiilist agenda

3) I did some googling many, many years ago when there wasn't as much material out there on degodia folks back then and noticed the few rural saaxiibs I saw did look a little "off" like a slightly higher incidence of kinky hair and some more "madow" facial features but this was just 1 or 2 people, the ones I see nowadays don't look that way to me.

I meant no offense and am not at all a qabiilist, niyahow. Much love and apologies. Also, for what it's worth even that subset of Kenyan samples who seem Borana admixed and minor (1-3%) Bantu admixed still seem very, very close to other Somalis. The differences are negligible on a base level.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Levantine related ancestry =/= Levantine ancestry

The y-dna of the pastoral neolithic is overwhelmingly native Egyptian, neolithic levantines are just the best available samples right now.
One way or another there is definitely actual "Levantine" and "Anatolian" ancestry in Horners and ancient Sudanese people, walaal. Forget just looking at auDNA and Y-DNA, it's fairly apparent from mtDNA. My own N1a has been found en masse in Neolithic Anatolia (epipaleolithic too, I believe) and even all across Neolithic Europe from Anatolian Farmers colonizing the place. K1a, N1a, I, R0a, R0, U3a, U9a... I think it's pretty undeniable that these would have been markers that came straight from the Middle-East with Anatolian/Dzudzuana type ancestry and aren't some very, very ancient north-african hold out or back-migration like M1a might be.

*Hugs you, holds you tight, ruffles your maw and looks deep into your angry brown eyes*

I am not your enemy, niyahow. All khat munchers are my people, the Degoodi included. I 100% admit that it's pure speculation but it made sense to me at the time for the following reasons:

1) Reer Degoodi have lived in that area much longer than the other tribes who are relatively recent northern migrants so that means more time to mix with Borana Oromos and Bantus

2) I'd heard about intermarriages with Boranas at least from some folks who knew of them seemingly well online and I had no reason to believe had some qabiilist agenda

3) I did some googling many, many years ago when there wasn't as much material out there on degodia folks back then and noticed the few rural saaxiibs I saw did look a little "off" like a slightly higher incidence of kinky hair and some more "madow" facial features but this was just 1 or 2 people, the ones I see nowadays don't look that way to me.

I meant no offense and am not at all a qabiilist, niyahow. Much love and apologies. Also, for what it's worth even that subset of Kenyan samples who seem Borana admixed and minor (1-3%) Bantu admixed still seem very, very close to other Somalis. The differences are negligible on a base level.
Degodia expanded fairly recently in the scheme of things into Wajir as both the Ajuran (who were one the earliest people in the area due to being expelled from what was Somali territory at the time) and the Ogaden will tell you so that's not exactly true just an FYI. Somalis also can range in looks ex. musa bihi vs Qor Qoor. I also don't know of intermarriage with the Borana in my lineage but the nfd is the outskirts of Somali territory and even if you haven't mixed you could possibly marry into a lineage that has. Somalis intermarry and qabils don't exist in a vacuum else we wouldnt be Somali would we? Nonetheless I accept your apology.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Degodia do not look different. These are some popular Degoodi tiktokers

Wallahi, Somalis are something. The high genetic homogeneity I've noticed across a wide region is staggering. Even the IBD sharing. I'm mostly a saaxiib from the northeast yet I have distant relations all over Somaliweyn on 23andme. From Jabuuti to Harar to even NFD and all over Koonfur and it's not at all Daroods but people from all of the qabiils.

And I'm not irregular. From over a decade ago when DNA testing first caught on we began noticing this high IBD sharing in the Somali community across wide areas and also very high homogeneity in terms of basal ancestral components and makeup. We are, in many ways, a quintessential ethnic group genetically. Gold standard, I would say. Very sad when you realize how divided and tribalistic we are.

One way or another there is definitely actual "Levantine" and "Anatolian" ancestry in Horners and ancient Sudanese people, walaal. Forget just looking at auDNA and Y-DNA, it's fairly apparent from mtDNA. My own N1a has been found en masse in Neolithic Anatolia (epipaleolithic too, I believe) and even all across Neolithic Europe from Anatolian Farmers colonizing the place. K1a, N1a, I, R0a, R0, U3a, U9a... I think it's pretty undeniable that these would have been markers that came straight from the Middle-East with Anatolian/Dzudzuana type ancestry and aren't some very, very ancient north-african hold out or back-migration like M1a might be.
Yes we definietly have actual Levantine/Anatolian ancestry I'm just saying the migration into the horn occured from egypt so neolithic Egyptian/Sudanese DNA will paint a better picture.
But my main point is that some of this ancestry will be native to Africa, the bottleneck that characterises Eurasian ancestry is consistently dated to pre OOA, meaning it occured inside Africa.

"The second scenario that stems from the presence of a non-African component in Morocco at least 15kya is a more radical one, and it reflects back on what we may call, genetically, Africa. Putting together genetic evidence for a Northern exit OoA (Pagani et al. 2015) with the archaeological and palaeoclimatic evidence for a drastic reduction of human presence along the lower Nile Valley from MSI4 (60-70kya) until 25kya (Vermeersch et al., 1990; Van Peer, 2004; Vermeersch& Van Neer, 2015), one may postulate that the progressive drying out of the North-East African region from 70kya triggered a population fragmentation in the area....

Such a scenario would imply the following: i) a potential cause for the genetic bottleneck that characterizes all non-African group was the progressive increase of aridity of the Nile corridor, rather than the expansion out of Africa of a few wanderers during environmentally permissive conditions; ii) such a bottleneck did not take place at the gateways of Africa but, rather, within Africa (along the Nile basin), and iii) as a consequence of the MIS4 arid period, all subsequent coastal North African populations should be considered “non-Africans” from a genetic viewpoint or, in other words, they should be expected to share the same 70kya genetic bottleneck signature that characterizes all contemporary non-Africans" - What is Africa? A human perspective Luca Pagani

I'm sure you understand the implications of this, Eurasians/Non-Africans came into existence from a genetic standpoint, inside North East Africa. Which makes sense when certain East Africans like Dinkas and Mota show Eurasian ancestry without showing neanderthal, or at least, not enough to account for how much Eurasian they show. I think this native North African ancestry will account for a large amount of "Levantine" ancestry present in the Horn of Africa.

Wallahi, Somalis are something. The high genetic homogeneity I've noticed across a wide region is staggering. Even the IBD sharing. I'm mostly a saaxiib from the northeast yet I have distant relations all over Somaliweyn on 23andme. From Jabuuti to Harar to even NFD and all over Koonfur and it's not at all Daroods but people from all of the qabiils.

And I'm not irregular. From over a decade ago when DNA testing first caught on we began noticing this high IBD sharing in the Somali community across wide areas and also very high homogeneity in terms of basal ancestral components and makeup. We are, in many ways, a quintessential ethnic group genetically. Gold standard, I would say. Very sad when you realize how divided and tribalistic we are.
:ohlord: the last sentence hit hard. Made a nigga cry inside

What's your opinion on T-haplo prominence in Somalis?

Arma

GRAND Wizard of MJ SIXIIR
VIP
@reer @Apollo @Som @Shimbiris

What you guys are discussing about konfuurians, are somewhat correct.

My dad is MJ from Kismayo and my mum is Degodi from Wajir in Kenya......I wonder which one of my parents the 2% Southeast African comes from.....

Screenshot_20211008-165522_23andMe.jpg

Screenshot_20211008-165739_23andMe.jpg

Screenshot_20211008-165804_23andMe.jpg

Arma

GRAND Wizard of MJ SIXIIR
VIP
Also, great thread guys. Love these sort of threads....extremely informative and interesting...Great work.

Trending