Are Half-Somalis considered as "Somalis"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
half somali grils are heart eyes emoji Alisha-Boe.jpg

SuldaanGuled

Rag waa shaah dumarna waa sheeko.
Lineage is only traced through the father this is a preference given to men by Allah. Even though we're all children of adam iyo hawa Allah specifically refers to us as children of adam and never children of Hawa. This is why we carry our fathers name and not our mothers name, the only time children take the name of their mother is when zina occurs. Also skin tone has no bearing on a persons lineage.

It doesn't matter whether the person can speak somali or not etc as long as the father is somali they're considered to be somali. I don't consider anyone whose father is somali and mother is non-somali to be "half-somali" doing so amounts to denying their rightful lineage. Tbh i never use the term half-somali it's either you're somali or non somali.

YoungFarah

:)
VIP
This is a question that has been surrounding the Somali community in the diaspora. Are Half-Somalis (Mom or Dad is Somali) considered Somali within our community? I was watching these Somali YouTubers, which included @LarryThePuntite :salute:and it further confirmed my argument. Somalis don't really accept half-Somalis.

I understand "b-b-b-b-but az long az da father have da qabiil, da children are Somali" but let's be honest, even if half-Somalis do carry a "qabiil", Somalis don't accept Half-Somalis :comeon:
If they claim Somali they are Somali in my eyes

half somali grils are heart eyes emoji View attachment 21710

Half-Somali women are very beautiful.

Lineage is only traced through the father this is a preference given to men by Allah. Even though we're all children of adam iyo hawa Allah specifically refers to us as children of adam and never children of Hawa. This is why we carry our fathers name and not our mothers name, the only time children take the name of their mother is when zina occurs. Also skin tone has no bearing on a persons lineage.

It doesn't matter whether the person can speak somali or not etc as long as the father is somali they're considered to be somali. I don't consider anyone whose father is somali and mother is non-somali to be "half-somali" doing so amounts to denying their rightful lineage. Tbh i never use the term half-somali it's either you're somali or non somali.

Ok I understand that, but let's say there's this Half-Somali guy/girl who's mom is Somali but his dad is ajnabi, and this half-Somali considers himself/herself Somali, learns the language, etc. is he still not "Somali" due to him/her not having a qabiil?

Whose last name do you take? Ain't nobody calling you Hebel heblaayo. It's always Hebel Hebel.
meaning if the father is somali, that kid is as somali as the rest of us. If the mother is somali, that child has nothing to do with us.
I'd personally slap them out of it if I saw a nigga whose father isn't somali who is claiming us.

Whose last name do you take? Ain't nobody calling you Hebel heblaayo. It's always Hebel Hebel.
meaning if the father is somali, that kid is as somali as the rest of us. If the mother is somali, that child has nothing to do with us.
I'd personally slap them out of it if I saw a nigga whose father isn't somali who is claiming us.

:dead1::deadmanny::deadrose:

Ok, but what if the half-Somali guy/girl claims Somali and his dad isn't Somali, he knows the language, follows Somali cultural norms etc. Is he still not a Somali to you? Cause half-Somalis with non-Somali fathers are always claiming to be Somali.

Somali is an ethnicity, you can't be one unless you're 100% Somali. Just like how mixed people are not considered white (but they can be black because blackness is a social identity).

:dead1::deadmanny::deadrose:

Ok bro, but what if the half-Somali guy/girl claims Somali and his dad isn't Somali, he knows the language, follows Somali cultural norms etc. Is he still not a Somali to you? Cause half-Somalis with non-Somali fathers are always claiming "Somalis".
Let's put it this way, if he moved to somalia and killed someone or stole something important? who'd pay the mak? and don't say his mother's qabiil.:mjlol:
no qabiil=not somali.
simple as that man. u can claim to be somali all u want if u ain't going back to banu hashim, or samaale, u ain't somali.:manny:

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
This is a question that has been surrounding the Somali community in the diaspora. Are Half-Somalis (Mom or Dad is Somali) considered Somali within our community? I was watching these Somali YouTubers, which included @LarryThePuntite :salute:and it further confirmed my argument. Somalis don't really accept half-Somalis.

I understand "b-b-b-b-but az long az da father have da qabiil, da children are Somali" but let's be honest, even if half-Somalis do carry a "qabiil", Somalis don't accept Half-Somalis :comeon:
We do accept half Somalis if the father is present in the child's life, is a strong influence, and is Somali.

I had a friend as a child who was half Somali half Black. She claimed Somali her father was Somali but the problem was the father was a dead beat and was never in her life so we never knew her qabiil or paternal side of her family. Sad case because she loved her Somali heritage but she couldn't be Somali.

Let's put it this way, if he moved to somalia and killed someone or stole something important? who'd pay the mak? and don't say his mother's qabiil.:mjlol:
no qabiil=not somali.
simple as that man. u can claim to be somali all u want if u ain't going back to banu hashim, or samaale, u ain't somali.:manny:

I agree with that, when they go back home, it's going to be tough for them especially since Somalia isn't "Law of the Land" rather it's "What's your Qabiil".

But let's be honest, Somalis don't rock with Half-Somali whether your mom or dad is Somali. They still will look at you sideways.

So for you it doesn't have to do with qabiil? This is a sentiment alot of Somalis have.

And they're probably right, it's still a basic unit of society back home of course.

But to me personally, and I say this as a person who will have mixed children, qabil has and will be utterly unimportant to my life.

We do accept half Somalis if the father is present in the child's life, is a strong influence, and is Somali.

I had a friend as a child who was half Somali half Black. She claimed Somali her father was Somali but the problem was the father was a dead beat and was never in her life so we never knew her qabiil or paternal side of her family. Sad case because she loved her Somali heritage but she couldn't be Somali.

Was she alienated due to her being Half-Black and Half-Somali by your Somali community?

What is she mixed with? That's the most Somali looking half-breed I've ever seen.

She's half Norwegian.

For some reason half Scandinavian Somalis look really Somali, it's the only time the cushitic genes take over :icon lol: Maya Jama's half Swedish and she pretty much looks full Somali.

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
Was she alienated due to her being Half-Black and Half-Somali by your Somali community?
She wasn't accepted by the Somali community because she never went to dugsi, most people did not know she was Somali, and her father wasn't in her life. My best guess is he was one of those gangster Somalis who leave their families and nobody pays attention to. If he were any normal Somali man all the harbaryars would gossip about it and the girl would be the talk of the town.

She wasn't accepted by the Somali community because she never went to dugsi, most people did not know she was Somali, and her father wasn't in her life. My best guess is he was one of those gangster Somalis who leave their families and nobody pays attention to. If he were any normal Somali man all the harbaryars would gossip about it and the girl would be the talk of the town.

I feel bad for her.

SuldaanGuled

Rag waa shaah dumarna waa sheeko.
Half-Somali women are very beautiful.

Ok I understand that, but let's say there's this Half-Somali guy/girl who's mom is Somali but his dad is ajnabi, and this half-Somali considers himself/herself Somali, learns the language, etc. is he still not "Somali" due to him/her not having a qabiil?

Correct as what determines the lineage is the father not him/her. There's actually a hadith of the prophet (SAW) where he states that anyone who calls himself after other than their father knowingly is guilty of kufr. That's why in islam it's haram to attribute yourself to people whom you don't belong to.

I know it's strict laakin these rules are there for a reason. Even though i've said that wisdom is needed when dealing with such people as they might not know or understand the seriousness of this issue. People are on different levels of emaan so you've to deal with them accordingly, if it's unavoidable then it's our duty to inform them in a manner that doesn't lead to more harm, best thing to do is have a chat with them privately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending