Are Half-Somalis considered as "Somalis"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not with the "As long as the father is somali" crew. If youre not full somali, you're not somali in my eyes. Somali is an ethnicity, half whites, half Asians etc can't claim it. You either are or are not. There's no 50% somali.

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
I feel bad for her.
I do too. Her mom was a loser who had a new boyfriend every week. No wonder she yearned for her Somali culture. Last I heard of her she isn't going to college and she travels 6 hours every weekend to visit her black boyfriend in college who is probably sleeping with other women.

Correct as what determines the lineage is the father not him/her. There's actually a hadith of the prophet (SAW) where he states that anyone who calls himself after other than their father knowingly is guilty of kufr. That's why in islam it's haram to attribute yourself to people whom you don't belong to.

I know it's strict laakin these rules are there for a reason. Even though i've said that wisdom is needed when dealing with such people as they might not know or understand the seriousness of this issue. People are on different levels of emaan so you've to deal with them accordingly, if it's unavoidable then it's our duty to inform them in a manner that doesn't lead to more harm, best thing to do is have a chat with them privately.

Wow, I didn't know that hadith, very interesting, but I do agree lineage comes from the father.

I do too. Her mom was a loser who had a new boyfriend every week. No wonder she yearned for her Somali culture. Last I heard of her she isn't going to college and she travels 6 hours every weekend to visit her black boyfriend in college who is probably sleeping with other women.

Every women needs a father figure in her life. I blame her father more than her mother. A mother can only do so much.

She's half Norwegian.

For some reason half Scandinavian Somalis look really Somali, it's the only time the cushitic genes take over :icon lol: Maya Jama's half Swedish and she pretty much looks full Somali.
If I didn't know I'd think she's at least 75% Somali, only her hair texture looks very Euro.

I'm not with the "As long as the father is somali" crew. If youre not full somali, you're not somali in my eyes. Somali is an ethnicity, half whites, half Asians etc can't claim it. You either are or are not. There's no 50% somali.

This is what I was trying to discuss. Not all Somalis really consider "Half-Somalis" as Somali. This is divided across the Somali community. Some consider them Somali, and some don't.

In our culture, Somalinimo is passed down through the father. @SuldaanGuled cited an interesting hadith that says lineage is only passed down through the father which is correct. There's no such thing as a "pure" Somali, somewhere down the line you'll have an ajnabi in your bloodline.

Last edited:
@LarryThePuntite Hey. I am now a fan. I like how you manege to include investing in to every little to thing you say. It seems like you know your shit. Can you do an AMA on personal financing?

Also you mentioned the stocks for Somalis is low right now and it's a good time to invest...how will i be able to do that?:cosbyhmm:

SuldaanGuled

Rag waa shaah dumarna waa sheeko.
Wow, I didn't know that hadith, very interesting, but I do agree lineage comes from the father.

It's not that well known tbh, unfortunately a lot of muslims these days have a problem with it as they see it to be wrong that only the father can pass the lineage this is true esp for those living in qurbaha. There's a number of aspects associated with lineage like inheritance, marriage etc that's why it's important to safeguard one's lineage.

It's not that well known tbh, unfortunately a lot of muslims these days have a problem with it as they see it to be wrong that only the father can pass the lineage this is true esp for those living in qurbaha. There's a number of aspects associated with lineage like inheritance, marriage etc that's why it's important to safeguard one's lineage.

I agree a lineage protects you, especially back in Somalia.

As long as they speak Somali and understand Somali culture I consider them Somali (this is usually when the mom is Somali).

Although half Somalis are Somali too

SuldaanGuled

Rag waa shaah dumarna waa sheeko.
In our culture, Somalinimo is passed down through the father. @SuldaanGuled cited a hadith that says lineage is only passed down through the father which is correct. There's no such thing as a "pure" Somali, somewhere down the line you'll have an ajnabi in your bloodline.

Exactly even the forefather of all somali clans descended from some other ethnic background just like the arabs & jews who descended from the 2 sons of ibrahim (AS).

But Somalis don't really considered them as "one of us". Some responses in this thread have confirmed that sentiment.

I know I just mean personally not technically because I have half italian cousins and they speak Somali and are closer to their Somali side so I don't look at them any different.

Someone who happens to have a Somali dad and wasn't raised around Somalis and doesn't know anything about Somali culture and language it's hard for me to look at as a Somali even if they technically have a qabil.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
This is a question that has been surrounding the Somali community in the diaspora. Are Half-Somalis (Mom or Dad is Somali) considered Somali within our community? I was watching these Somali YouTubers, which included @LarryThePuntite :salute:and it further confirmed my argument. Somalis don't really accept half-Somalis.

I understand "b-b-b-b-but az long az da father have da qabiil, da children are Somali" but let's be honest, even if half-Somalis do carry a "qabiil", Somalis don't accept Half-Somalis :comeon:

Light skin privilege

:mjlol:

Sjws should be gassed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts