Ancestralbrew YouTube channel made a video on somali dna

I know Somali + Arabian mixes & others who are half Egyptian in real life & they don’t look like that African looking Amoudi fella.

You’ve lost the plot, mate.
I’ve seen a half Somalilander half Yemeni in Berbera chilling with his Yemeni adeers. Nigga was one of those dark Tamil looking Somalis while his uncles are stereotypical Yemenis.I have my own relatives (2nd cousins) who are half Yemeni and they are also not distinguishable from Somalis. Most Horner-Yemeni mixes look dark because Yemenis are dark and one of the most curly haired of Arabia

Phenotype ≠genetics or else negroid looking Somalis would be genetically different than caucasoid looking Somalis.Stop being naive

I really can't say much about their genetics make up but it's fascinating to see that there were baluchi tribes by this very same name. According to aydarus it's pronounced حمرانيون so we'll have to see if the arabic alphabetical literation of amrani includ a "ح". It not completely improbable for baluchis to have been in the eastern coast of africa.

There were a huge wave of baluchis that came alongside the omanis as mercenaries to east africa and i remember reading of some of them also came to the somali coast. I don't know if they had an earlier presence, i'm sure they did in some degree but also i can't see an impactful presence unless they also went by the name of shirazi who were very prominent on both the somali coast and the swahili coast.

What we like to call reer barawe in your example حمراني or also known as bidda speaks a branch of swahili related to that of bajuni and lamu archipelago languages called northern swahili. It's the northern most extend of the swahili language and the proto north swahili was surprisingly very influenced by af somali. That being said their background is very diverse and they easily incorporate foreigners into their confederation so it's hard for me to pin point an exact location for their origin aside from their language which originates from lamu.

In other words our eurasian component clouds the true percentage of their somali admixture? Interesting.
The issue with these groups is that they certainly had a changing form of identification. What identity dominated 100 years ago between the various composites and who dominated that identification might not be the thing of today due to socio-cultural changes and the influence of various homogenizing movements and the influence of the various other coastal groups. For example, the South Asian and Swahili influence which are significant is neglected for an Arabian influence. You can say these changes come with tribalistic consequences that do not account for changes across time and the extent of complex ancestry.

No, the South Arabian DNA they have elevates the Ethiopian & Eritrean when they have no such DNA. It's just Somali + South Arabian.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
How did the Geri pressure you yo start farming? That’s interesting! 🤔
The Gadabuursi were late adopters of farming. It was the state that resulted in this pressure to shift from nomadism to farming. Bear in mind, not all Gadabuursis are farmers. There are still non-farmers among them.

And there's people from other yemeni banadiri tribes that are just like that , especially if they were from the families that moved to Yemen during civil war which was the case for alot of yemeni banadiris like camuudi, ba fadhal, ashraaf ba calawi and many others
Ba’Alawi have a long history in the Somali Horn.They were mentioned in the Futuh Al Habasha which means they once had a presence in Somaliland/Somali region of Ethiopia.Not sure what happened and why they migrated to the Banadir

Ba’Alawi have a long history in the Somali Horn.They were mentioned in the Futuh Al Habasha which means they once had a presence in Somaliland/Somali region of Ethiopia.Not sure what happened and why they migrated to the Banadir
Which ba alawi clans were mentioned in futuh al habasha? Don't think they're same as the ba alawi clans in banaadir coast and swahili coast.

The ones in Banaadir coast are Ashraaf An-Nadhiiri, Ashraaf Ba Sakutah, Ashraaf Aal As-Saqqaaf, Ashraaf Mahdali and Ashraaf Museela , each of them have their own migration story, Ashraaf An-Nadhiiri's migration is mentioned in Bughyatul aamaal

Which ba alawi clans were mentioned in futuh al habasha? Don't think they're same as the ba alawi clans in banaadir coast and swahili coast.

The ones in Banaadir coast are Ashraaf An-Nadhiiri, Ashraaf Ba Sakutah, Ashraaf Aal As-Saqqaaf, Ashraaf Mahdali and Ashraaf Museela , each of them have their own migration story, Ashraaf An-Nadhiiri's migration is mentioned in Bughyatul aamaal
I think the Ba Alawi clans mentioned in futuh al habash are not directly related to the Ba Alawi clans in the Banaadir Coast or the Swahili Coast. The Ba Alawi referred in the futuh al habash specifically in the conquest of Abyssinia is basically in connection with the Adal Sultanate.

There are two distinct Ba Alawi, the first Ba Alawi clans mentioned in futuh al-habasha were part of the Adal Sultanate and played a role in the conflicts with Abyssinia. The Ba Alawi in the Banaadir Coast and the Swahili Coast are more commonly associated with the Indian Ocean trade networks and Islamic communities in those regions, and their history and affiliations might be different from those mentioned in the context of the Abyssinian-Adal war.

In my opinion the Ba Alawi is a prominent Arab lineage, and their presence extends beyond the Arabian Peninsula. They live in the Arabian Peninsula, across the red sea and East Africa, places like Massawa and Zanzibar

I think the Ba Alawi clans mentioned in futuh al habash are not directly related to the Ba Alawi clans in the Banaadir Coast or the Swahili Coast. The Ba Alawi referred in the futuh al habash specifically in the conquest of Abyssinia is basically in connection with the Adal Sultanate.

There are two distinct Ba Alawi, the first Ba Alawi clans mentioned in futuh al-habasha were part of the Adal Sultanate and played a role in the conflicts with Abyssinia. The Ba Alawi in the Banaadir Coast and the Swahili Coast are more commonly associated with the Indian Ocean trade networks and Islamic communities in those regions, and their history and affiliations might be different from those mentioned in the context of the Abyssinian-Adal war.

In my opinion the Ba Alawi is a prominent Arab lineage, and their presence extends beyond the Arabian Peninsula. They live in the Arabian Peninsula, across the red sea and East Africa, places like Massawa and Zanzibar
Hadhrami are the only ones that fit that description.

Hadhrami are the only ones that fit that description.
I agree, Hadhrami are the only group that fit the description, they came to the horn of africa and coastal East Africa as early as 12th to 15th century. But there are other groups that also fit the description like, qahatanis, Benu Amer, Benu Hashimi, Rashaida and etc

I agree, Hadhrami are the only group that fit the description, they came to the horn of africa and coastal East Africa as early as 12th to 15th century. But there are other groups that also fit the description like, qahatanis, Benu Amer, Benu Hashimi, Rashaida and etc

Hadhrami have produced governors, presidents, ministers, mufti’s, poets etc in places like Singapore, Malaysia, Hydrabat, Indonesia, Comoros etc. They also had huge numbers in Harar. Rashaida are small Bedouin tribe on the African Red Sea coast that fled tribal civil war in the Hejaz. Qathanis is a broad term I believe. Not sure about the other two but Amer could be the once mixed with the Beja known as Banu Amer.

Last edited:
Hadhrami have produced governors, presidents, ministers, mufti’s, poets etc in places like Singapore, Malaysia, Hydrabat, Indonesia, Comoros etc. They also had huge numbers in Harar. Rashaida are small Bedouin tribe on the African Red Sea coast that fled tribal civil war in the Hejaz. Qathanis is a broad term I believe. Not sure about the other two but Amer could be the once mixed with the Beja known as Banu Amer.
Yes you are right Benu Amer have mixed with Beja groups, Qahathanis is broad but it's specific to yemanis that are not Adnanis. Rashaida escaped from tribal civil wars but i read somewhere there are other groups like hashimit that came to Banadir in late 18th to 19th century compared to Hashimite that come to Adal in 12 to 15th century. Similar to the two distinct groups of Ba Alawi (bandiri and Adal).

Trending

Latest posts