Ancestralbrew YouTube channel made a video on somali dna

On average, which clan/tribe has the highest amount of Arabian dna?
I dont know to your answer, but if i guess, i would say gadabgursi and dir in Djibouti (issa), they are the most northern Somalis. But i was educated by someone that there are more gadabgursi in Ethiopia than SL and Djibouti combined, but i sample them as the most Northwest clans.

I dont know to your answer, but if i guess, i would say gadabgursi and dir in Djibouti (issa), they are the most northern Somalis. But i was educated by someone that there are more gadabgursi in Ethiopia than SL and Djibouti combined, but i sample them as the most Northwest clans.
Makes sense. Djibouti’s Yemenis are the third largest ethnic group & the country is a stones throw away from Arabia. So naturally, they would have elevated amount of Arabian ancestry.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I beg to differ. Those with more introgression are one of two things. (1) More Ethio admixed or (2) recent dhegocase admixed (maternally), which doesn't make you 'Arab.' It does make you divergent. I will give you an example.

@NidarNidar has a Jarso grandmother or great-grandmother. He also has more of that admixture than me. I have no non-Somali elements, as nearly all my great-grandmothers are Gadabuursi. Distance calculators say he's genetically the closest to me on here. It is no surprise as two of my grandmothers are Xeebjire. However, our inputs slightly vary for that reason. I cluster more with Somali Somalia despite having family mostly from Somali Ethiopia. I would say that I'm a type of 'Reer Galbeed.' That is in no way unique.

I beg to differ. Those with more introgression are one of two things. (1) More Ethio admixed or (2) recent dhegocase admixed (maternally), which doesn't make you 'Arab.' It does make you divergent. I will give you an example.

@NidarNidar has a Jarso grandmother or great-grandmother. He also has more of that admixture than me. I have no non-Somali elements, as nearly all my great-grandmothers are Gadabuursi. Distance calculators say he's genetically the closest to me on here. It is no surprise as two of my grandmothers are Xeebjire. However, our inputs slightly vary for that reason. I cluster more with Somali Somalia despite having family mostly from Somali Ethiopia. I would say that I'm a type of 'Reer Galbeed.' That is in no way unique.
That's why I always cluster Gadabuursi with Somali Somalia sample (specifically north west group 'Reer Galbeed') instead of Somali Ethiopia sample (who are slightly more SSA). Like you said to me before, the K5 Ethiopia region is massive land bordering Djibouti, North west Somalia, Centeral somalia and north Kenya. There is question mark on who these somali Ethiopia sample and somali kenya sample belong to (what qabil, which group/regions of K5/NFD?).

@NidarNidar , his maternal grandmother could be the reason for the slightly more Arabian shifted compare to average somali:somalia sample. Other than his extra Arabian, his close match to you (possiblely because of sharing the same clan from grandmother side xeebjire). But here is where we differ, there are some reer wooqoyi galbeed and reer wooqoyi bari sample who I'm assuming are pure somali that came with same results as NidarNidar and there are others that came with average somali:Somalia result ( in illustrative and Vahaduo). Its all confusing, don't get me wrong i am following the results and i actually have no agenda, likewise to your sacad muuse link, my half Siblings are maternally samaroon, my maternal grandfather, his mother is Gadabuursi, I have a soft spot for Gadabuursi.

NidarNidar

Punisher

My Maternal and Paternal grandmothers are both Xeebjire, but on my maternal side, my great-grandfather's mother was Issa.

My father's family are notorious for marrying within Xeebjires only.

It's between 38 to 45 percent. If its above 45% than its a sign of a recent admixed either from Ethio-semitic side or Arabian side.
Between 14th/15th century, we had a sizable Yemeni migration into Zeila, which had an effect on the local population.

I believe mine is around 44%

Between 14th/15th century, we had a sizable Yemeni migration into Zeila, which had an effect on the local population.

I believe mine is around 44%
Very possible, like zeila is in the Awdal region, I have asked a knowledgeable elder in my community, he said that before zaila, yemanis were conquering the islands such as sacadin, ceebad islands in the west and socotra at the east.

Very possible, like zeila is in the Awdal region, I have asked a knowledgeable elder in my community, he said that before zaila, yemanis were conquering the islands such as sacadin, ceebad islands in the west and socotra at the east.
In 880 AD, the Habeshas/Axumites sent an expeditionary force to Socotra & managed to conquer the island. Although, the Arabs managed to renconquer it after a local poet sent a plea for help to the Omanis.

NidarNidar

Punisher
North Somalis/ Galbeed are definitely mixed with something, not all of them but a lot of them look strange.
That is because we didn't mix with slaves :denzelnigga:

Northern Somalis look the same as Southern Somalis. A small amount of extra Arabian DNA won’t radically change the appearance of the average Northerner.
The whole northern region had various traders and merchants from all over the world, for at least the last few thousand years, contributing to local knowledge and importing foreign cuisine.

Keep in mind after the failure of Futuḥ al-Ḥabash, the region was strongly influenced by the Ottomans.

The beginning might be misleading but i found it a good content.
Lmao the sheer amount of misinformation. Somalis are hardly diverse. If you look at any PCA, Somalis cluster very tightly and generally have same West Eurasian/SSA ratio north to south. The only group that are "different" are Kenyan Somalis who have slightly elevated levels of SSA due to mixing with Borana Oromos who have Omotic admixture. Speaking of which, Somalis most certainly don't have any Omotic DNA, let alone 15% of it, we are genetically the purest group in the HOA and have next to no Semitic/Omotic ancestry which defines other Horner groups.

Lmao the sheer amount of misinformation. Somalis are hardly diverse. If you look at any PCA, Somalis cluster very tightly and generally have same West Eurasian/SSA ratio north to south. The only group that are "different" are Kenyan Somalis who have slightly elevated levels of SSA due to mixing with Borana Oromos who have Omotic admixture. Speaking of which, Somalis most certainly don't have any Omotic DNA, let alone 15% of it, we are genetically the purest group in the HOA and have next to no Semitic/Omotic ancestry which defines other Horner groups.
I agree as well, the producer is very misinformed. That's why I said other than the beginning part which is misleading, the content was good. Somali Somalia cluster together and are homogeneous group unlike Oromo who are very diverse when it comes to Eurasian:SSA mix.