JackieBurkhart

The years don't matter, the life in those years do
Ana Blarab. Checkmate.

:fittytousand:

Ew.

200.gif

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
The whole origin of it is intertwined with slavery and racism. Being part of the same 'race' doesn't mean anything. We're closer to North Africans genetically than West Africans, yet we don't share the same race as North Africans. Calling yourself black or Arab is silly, and you'll realize once you do your research.

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree.

I don’t view blackness as something that is inferior. I look at the best qualities of the black race and don’t allow their tragic history to define them for me. For the longest time, white people controlled the narrative on what blackness meant. I can be nuanced enough to know that madows deserve respect after all they’ve endured and done for the human race.

The problem is it’s glaring they don’t identify with us as their kin unless it’s convenient. There will always be this distance between us. This unspoken message that we are not the same.

And I would be lying to you if I said I see a reflection of myself and my people in them. I don’t.

We live in the white man’s land so we go by his rules. In this land, I’m black. It benefits me.

In the past I was what you guys would call a blm xalimo. I used to believe we were indistinguishable from other madows 😂 but I dropped that bs when I came across some damning empirical findings. And no, I’m not talking about whatever bullshit the “I no black” trolls go on about. I came across an unusual unsolved Somali Jane Doe case in Washington state and it had made me re-think my stance on this. At the time, I wasn’t aware forensics followed a different protocol when ID’ing our remains. It was eye opening and broke the illusion that blackness was monolithic.

I’m pursuing something in health so I have to keep it real and understand that in order for me to provide the best quality care, we require different approaches in healthcare because of our physiological differences.

Last edited:

Mr. Nur

Aspiring Somali CEO 🇸🇴
not really. the reason somalis identify as black here and as Somali in africa has nothing to do with the white man. In Africa, identifying as black makes no sense because, well, everyone is black. So you have to be more specific. So, if you are in kenya, you'd identify as somali. But if you are in Somalia, then everyone is Somali so identifying as somali makes no sense. in this case, you have to identify as your qabil, and so on. But if you are in the west, identifying as black is enough of a description to separate you from a white or asian for example.

It seems like you are not listening, Walalo. I never said that Somalis should identify within qabil, and I do not support or associate with this divisive bullcrap practice. The use of qabil identity in Somalia is not a solution to the issue of Black identity. Instead, the use of the term "Black" in the West is a way for Black people to assert their identity and distinguish themselves from other racial groups and accept their white-men trap. Somalis prefer and identify as the word "African" rather than the white-man label word "Black." It is important to acknowledge the complexity of Somali identity, which includes Islamic and cosmopolitan elements. As a result, you should know the importance to move beyond divisive identity politics and embrace a more inclusive and diverse understanding of Somali identity rather than qabil, arab, and the black identities.

This is the most real talk I can bring to the table and re-correct you walal.

Last edited:

Xoxoxo

VIP
Can y’all shut the f*ck up about this? It’s really getting tiresome having these discussions every other day.

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
Can y’all shut the f*ck up about this? It’s really getting tiresome having these discussions every other day.

Unfortunately the entire globe is obsessed with race, no matter the race they are.

I wasn’t going to entertain this thread and sincerely reply but I did so so that everyone gets an idea of where I stand. I don’t believe I will be posting in a thread like this again though lol.

JackieBurkhart

Unfortunately the entire globe is obsessed with race, no matter the race they are.

I wasn’t going to entertain this thread and sincerely reply but I did so so that everyone gets an idea of where I stand. I don’t believe I will be posting in a thread like this again though lol.

I just hate that we can't identify as just Somalis. No need to label us as something we aren't.

Mr. Nur

Aspiring Somali CEO 🇸🇴
I just hate that we can't identify as just Somalis. No need to label us as something we aren't.

@JackieBurkhart

I couldn't agree more with you in those short sentences. I think you conveyed what I and you wanted to say in just one sentence, and I also think you ended the conversation awesomely. It's important to communicate effectively and concisely, and you did that very well. #Bravo

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?

I think the root of issue is people in the west aren’t used to the chauvinistic in-group preference we display.

Btw you guys have to remember that because we are visibly muslim, the attention on us is intensified for this reason alone. That’s why they don’t care about the “I no black” Habeshas but amplify Somalis.

Both black people in the new world and African gaals back home are heavily islamophobic. I don’t know why they are so islamophobic but they just are and it’s not talked about enough. And it’s weird when you realize how ridiculous their islamophobia is because the ancestors of the enslaved black people in the new world that revolted before Haiti’s revolution were always the muslims. Kuwa kale were too docile to revolt.

They need to be checked for their islamophobia.

Last edited:

JackieBurkhart

I think the root of issue is people in the west aren’t used to the chauvinistic in-group preference we display.

Btw you guys have to remember that because we are visibly muslim, the attention on us is intensified for this reason. That’s why they don’t care about the “I no black” Habeshas but amplify Somalis.

Both black people in the new world and African gaals back home are heavily islamophobic. I don’t know why they are so islamophobic but they just are and it’s not talked about enough. And it’s weird when you realize how ridiculous their islamophobia is because the ancestors of the enslaved black people in the new world that revolted before Haiti’s revolution were always the muslims. Kuwa kale were too docile to revolt.

They need to be checked for their islamophobia.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I am whatever benefits me, if there’s black scholarships I will apply for it, if there was an Arab scholarship I’ll take it
i’m trans racial
But the only label I believe in is somali

im very opportunistic when it comes to this.
transracial to my core

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

but the only one i believe in is somali. i let people assume one way or another as long as its beneficial to me i wont fight it.

1686270249780.png

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Low iq 1 on 1

In the diaspora, Somalis identify themselves as black. Why? due to white power. but in Africa, people generally do not specify and identify with being black. Somalis reject the "black" label and instead identify as Somali for various reasons, including the fact that they have a unique culture, language, and history that sets them apart from other African groups sxb. At the end of the day were all one but takin the white-men name is some serious loss of identity sxb.
Being Somali and being black aren't mutually exclusive though, I'm saying racially we're black but ultimately it doesn't matter because being Somali is more important and meaningful than a racial category made up by a European man a couple centuries ago.

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
Being Somali and being black aren't mutually exclusive though, I'm saying racially we're black but ultimately it doesn't matter because being Somali is more important and meaningful than a racial category made up by a European man a couple centuries ago.
Race doesn’t exist in any meaningful way unless you’re focusing on health outcomes or how you’re racialized and perceived under their societies.

That’s why identifying as black doesn’t bother me. It doesn’t mean you’re losing your identity you’re just going along with the system. We still know who we are. Just do whatever makes your life easier.

You hate being identified with madows same way I hate being identified as dhegacas, thats our common ground that I can see. Difference is I don't go extreme to the side i ally the most like you do. You aren't alike to the people you attach yourself to as you would wish you were. You're not apart of the team, you wish you were but aren't. It is what it is tho keep jumping on their ship truth is they'll throw you off
dheego caas worship some of these monkeys have is insane wth yemini troops used to burn our villages during the 70s and now these faraxs a generation later kiss the ground they walk on allah help these people subhanallah

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
I reflected on this, under another thread, a while ago, and shall just repost it.

--------------------------
This was actually rather informative, with the following conclusion being had: We shall split Somalis into three categories:

a) Dabarre, which more identifies with black culture, and
b) Carsaanyo, which more aligns with Arab, or Asian cultures,
c) Milan, which floats between the said two.

And as this is common amongst peoples of mixed heritage, this is expected, therefore those who favour the black heritage, as in Dabarre, could embrace black culture to their heart's content. Those, who prefer the other half, as in Carsaanyo, could choose to identify with other cultures viz Arab, or Asian culture. As for the third category, as in Milan, it could float either way.

I shall let social study boffins better debate, research, and articulate as best they see fit.

Neither group, Dabarre nor Carsaanyo, should thrust its wishes upon the other, nor does one 'cabaad', 'weyrax', or 'kor u kaleeti' to have its desires imposed upon the other.

In other words, be, and let be.
I’m convinced you’re AI

Trending