A history of the Juba-Tana Darod

Hmm I’ve heard afran qallo are somewhat related to Somalis, is that true?

yes they are the ones who live in the east, where they border somalis.
they are the ones that, somalis say assimilated, some of the somalis such as the dir and others.
of course some somalis also exaggerate in regards to how many they've assimilated lol.

yes they are the ones who live in the east, where they border somalis.
they are the ones that, somalis say assimilated, some of the somalis such as the dir and others.
of course some somalis also exaggerate in regards to how many they've assimilated lol.
Hmm I thought Somalis believed those Oromo clans were originally dir clans that got assimilated by oromos. Do they speak Af somali or afaan Oromo ? Do Somalis make up the majority in babile? (Sorry for all these random questions lol)

Hmm I thought Somalis believed those Oromo clans were originally dir clans that got assimilated by oromos. Do they speak Af somali or afaan Oromo ? Do Somalis make up the majority in babile? (Sorry for all these random questions lol)

no they are not originally somali because we can trace their ancestry back to bareentu.
but they did assimilate some somalis. not sure how many. we used to have an afran qallo bro here on somalispot, very knowledgeable, but not active anymore i guess.
babile is disputed land between us, it's where the babile oromo and karanle section mainly of the hawiye, interact, marry, etc.
from what we oromos know, and believe, oromo are the majority there.

''One group in particular, the Hawiyya in Baabbile, who take their name from one of the largest and most powerful Somali pastoralist clans, appears to be a fusion of a faction of hawiyya somalis and babile oromos who settled together in the area over a century ago.''

no they are not originally somali because we can trace their ancestry back to bareentu.
but they did assimilate some somalis. not sure how many. we used to have an afran qallo bro here on somalispot, very knowledgeable, but not active anymore i guess.
babile is disputed land between us, it's where the babile oromo and karanle section mainly of the hawiye, interact, marry, etc.
from what we oromos know, and believe, oromo are the majority there.

''One group in particular, the Hawiyya in Baabbile, who take their name from one of the largest and most powerful Somali pastoralist clans, appears to be a fusion of a faction of hawiyya somalis and babile oromos who settled together in the area over a century ago.''
Thanks for all these answers sxb :) final couple of questions: do you believe Gurgura dir are originally Oromo? Are there any disputed regions between Oromo and Amhara or Afar? Do you believe Ethiopia will fracture because of ethnic/religious tensions, if not what do you think the future for Ethiopia will be like?

Having displaced the Wardei from the Juba region by 1820, the Ogaden were not
content to settle down but continued their southward expansion since the loot from the Wardei was an appetizing reason to continue their raids.

The Ogaden migration towards the Tana in the 1 860s and 1870s, was one of struggle to wrestle control of the land from the Wardei .The Ogaden were firmly estahlished along the banks of the Tana River by the 1870' s, having virtually conquered and suhordinated the Galla to Somali domination.

According to Turnbull the attack of 1865 by the Ogaden Somali when the Wardei were weakened by plague was so unexpected and so violent that the Wardei were utterly broken by it.

Scattered through the fighting was, hundreds were killed; those who survived either fled to neighhouring tribes or became serfs to the Ogaden clans: Mohamed Zubeir, the Tolemuggeh, or the Magabul. Many were sold as slaves in the markets of Lamu, and Zanzibar.

Had it not been for the arrival of Imperial British East African Company rule in 1885, the Wardei would have ceased to exist as a community with a separate cultural and political identity."

Jubaland and Its Inhabitants by F.Elliot

Thanks for all these answers sxb :) final couple of questions: do you believe Gurgura dir are originally Oromo? Are there any disputed regions between Oromo and Amhara or Afar? Do you believe Ethiopia will fracture because of ethnic/religious tensions, if not what do you think the future for Ethiopia will be like?

I do believe gurgura are originally Somali/DIR, based on my brief research.
But since they mostly, or a lot of them, speak afaan oromo, and marry from among our women, and we from theirs; we consider them as being very close to us. some even say they are oromo due to this.

yes there are land disputes or conflicting territorial claims between oromos and amaras. between amaras and afars. between oromos and afars but not to the point where violence breaks out.
this is one major reason why I do not support ethiopia's breaking up nor do i think any state seceding, is a good idea.
i do not think ethiopia will break apart, but i think some hard times are ahead, before things improve.
oromos are getting stronger and we will fight to maintain the country while keeping the amhara elitist system in check so they never get power again.

check us out:

I do believe gurgura are originally Somali/DIR, based on my brief research.
But since they mostly, or a lot of them, speak afaan oromo, and marry from among our women, and we from theirs; we consider them as being very close to us. some even say they are oromo due to this.

yes there are land disputes or conflicting territorial claims between oromos and amaras. between amaras and afars. between oromos and afars but not to the point where violence breaks out.
this is one major reason why I do not support ethiopia's breaking up nor do i think any state seceding, is a good idea.
i do not think ethiopia will break apart, but i think some hard times are ahead, before things improve.
oromos are getting stronger and we will fight to maintain the country while keeping the amhara elitist system in check so they never get power again.

check us out:

Thanks for your answers man

Dharbash

🧊
MARQUESS OF SSC
Nice. I see isaaq as allies against some ogadeni extremists. but i also like the fair minded ogadenis/daroods.
but overall i love Somalis.

major oromo clans are:
Maccaa, Arsi, Tuulama, Afran Qallo which is the 4 sons of Qallo [Ala, Babile, Jaarso, Noole] we even have a sub clan called hawiya and samaale :) sound familiar?

there's also karrayyu, wallo, libaan, and others.
Very interesting
I also found the Samaale you were talking about as well as the hawiye name looking clan and what looks similar to a Kablalah (Darood clan)
upload_2020-1-4_21-53-4.jpeg

Hawiyya subgroup falls under the Babille which then falls under the Barentu Oromo
upload_2020-1-4_21-53-20.jpeg

This Kabalah one falls under Guji Oromo who then fall under Komboo who is 1 of the sons of Ormo a sub group of the Oromo that live mostly in southern Oromia
upload_2020-1-4_21-59-14.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oromo_subgroups_and_clans

It’s interesting how this similarity of names came about.

Nice. I see isaaq as allies against some ogadeni extremists. but i also like the fair minded ogadenis/daroods.
but overall i love Somalis.

major oromo clans are:
Maccaa, Arsi, Tuulama, Afran Qallo which is the 4 sons of Qallo [Ala, Babile, Jaarso, Noole] we even have a sub clan called hawiya and samaale :) sound familiar?

there's also karrayyu, wallo, libaan, and others.

you guys haveassimilated a lot of Somalis

you guys haveassimilated a lot of Somalis

Almost all Ogaden or Absamr clans have some of their lineages living with the Oromo .

Similarly,Geri ,Gurre ,Gurgure ,Hawiye and Marehan have some of their clans absorbed into the Galla tribes

Conversely, Dir has absorbed Galla lineages of Afran Qallo origin .Sacad Muse are pregnant with oromo sub lineages.

Almost all Ogaden or Absamr clans have some of their lineages living with the Oromo .

Similarly,Geri ,Gurre ,Gurgure ,Hawiye and Marehan have some of their clans absorbed into the Galla tribes

Conversely, Dir has absorbed Galla lineages of Afran Qallo origin .Sacad Muse are pregnant with oromo sub lineages.

Calling us Galla, or pagan, when more of us are Muslims than all somalis combined, is ironic.
May Allah either guide you to have better manners, or make you a pagan the same way you made takfir on us- AMEEN!!

Calling us Galla, or pagan, when more of us are Muslims than all somalis combined, is ironic.
May Allah either guide you to have better manners, or make you a pagan the same way you made takfir on us- AMEEN!!

Galla is the original name but if that offends i will reserve it for the future cyber squabbles with Oromo fanatics just to dissapoint them .

btw,I have nothing against the Oromos and dont see a good reason why my fellow Somali annihilate you in our forums even you displaced thousands of our kindred from their farmlands in Galla country .

Marehan also faced similar difficulties from the Rahawanyn but they won the acceptance of powerful Gasaargude chief who gave them asylum. An old Marehan catchphrase says Gasaargude waa gobta Raaxawayn

You've mixed up two different stories. The saying you refer to is an Ogaden saying after a guy named Gasar Gude manhandled them in battle. That Gasar Gude is not to be confused with the Gasargude clan who live in Gedo and gave asylum to Marehan multiple times.

You've mixed up two different stories. The saying you refer to is an Ogaden saying after a guy named Gasar Gude manhandled them in battle. That Gasar Gude is not to be confused with the Gasargude clan who live in Gedo and gave asylum to Marehan multiple times.

Gasaar Gude is a clan not a random warrior .Ogaden fought and did their best to unsettle Raxawayn in the heart of Eelay-land but they couldnt manage because Eelay were at the height of their power .Ogaden immedietly crossed the river jubba and lived with Wardey for sometime before finally dislodging them in 1865 .The biggest land expansion in Somali history was spearheaded by :

Suldan Magan Yuusuf
Suldan Cabdi Ibrahim
Suldan Xasan Burjan

4.Suldan Cabdi (the master of the conquest)
3.Suldan Sambul
2.Suldan Maxamad (Macalin)
1.Suldan Deeq (80+ old sultan of Cawdaaq clan)

4.Suldan Magan (The conqueror)
3.Suldan Axmad
2.Suldan Cali 'Sonkor'
1.Suldan Cabdullahi (The present sultan of Waamo)

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP

Raxanweyn were the HG of the 1800s, i read somewhere that they burnt down the entire city of Baardheere and the flames was still burning for years :gucciwhat:

You went from having OG as your serfs and expelling them from your towns to playing third wheel between Hawiye and Darod:gucciwhat:

Raxanweyn were the HG of the 1800s, i read somewhere that they burnt down the entire city of Baardheere and the flames was still burning for years :gucciwhat:

You went from having OG as your serfs and expelling them from your towns to playing third wheel between Hawiye and Darod:gucciwhat:

It's because during the colonial era, places were we lived hadn't fallen to the Italians until the late 30s whereas the Benadir coast, where Hawiye live, was Italian by the turn of the century and the northeast was incorporated in to the Protectorate at around the same time.

This gave you lot a head start because more of you were going to study in Italian/Western Universities and Institutions, as a result more of you were working for the Italian administration. So by the time independence comes, Darod and Hawiye have a much larger "educated" class than us.

Why do you think people like Zoobe were arguing for 10 more years of Italian rule? Because he wanted more of us to go study in the West, to give us a chance to bridge the gap between us and Hawiye/Darod. He could see that it would be difficult for us to compete.

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
It's because during the colonial era, places were we lived hadn't fallen to the Italians until the late 30s whereas the Benadir coast, where Hawiye live, was Italian by the turn of the century and the northeast was incorporated in to the Protectorate at around the same time.

This gave you lot a head start because more of you were going to study in Italian/Western Universities and Institutions, as a result more of you were working for the Italian administration. So by the time independence comes, Darod and Hawiye have a much larger "educated" class than us.

Why do you think people like Zoobe were arguing for 10 more years of Italian rule? Because he wanted more of us to go study in the West, to give us a chance to bridge the gap between us and Hawiye/Darod. He could see that it would be difficult for us to compete.

Fair enough but atleast during the democracy era you had local representation and influence in the Parliament. I heard many good things about Sh Mukhtaar AUN, he was a close friend of Aadan Cadde AUN.

Afweyne was an idiot when he decided to completely sideline Raxanweyn who welcomed his ppl in the South. He gave Tumaal and Arabs (non Somalis!) more representation in his circle. Wasn't Jawaari the first Raxanweyn Minister after over a decade since 1969 :gucciwhat: and ppl wonder why the SDM attacked Marehan. Looks like the 1800s repeated itself.

Do you know about the famous Raxanweyn politician Cali Caliyoow in the 60s, he use to encourage his folk to become beesaani when they entered Xamar "sigaarka dhuuqa! joornaalka agriya!" :icon lol:

Last edited:

Trending