A history of the Juba-Tana Darod

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Great pamphlet written by the last British Governor of Tanganyika. It is cited by most writers as the most authoritative account as to how the Darod managed to take a territory that is more than half the size of Ethiopia's Somali region. This pamphlet contradicts many prior assumptions I had about how this happened. For example; I always thought that the Darod entered the Juba-Tana inter-riverine through Dolo. This turns out to not be true. The Darod apparently entered the area by way of Bur Hakaba. A lot of small details like that one are to be found.

Map for reference:
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/...th+Eastern+Africa/978-1-138-23401-7+Vol+1.pdf

IftiinOfLife

Raw Hard Truth
It says the first Somalis in that area were the Rahanweyne, Ajuuran, and Hawiye, who did some shit to a people called "Wardeh?", whose identity is not clear. Are they Somali or Oromo? I never heard of a inter rivine oromo grouping lol.

This is still a colonial text, so we shouldn't take it as Quran.

IftiinOfLife

Raw Hard Truth
Interestingly enough it skips over from the Middle ages (1650 Ajuuran etc) all the way to the colonial age. I wonder what happened in between that they wanted to omit lol.

Also Page 13 tells us the real demise of the Wardeh grouping.

The newly arrived immigrants ( Gurreh, Boran, Ogaden, Marehan, Haiywe? etc) infected them with Smallpox, thus decimating their people and strength. I think a group dying of smallpox is awful, and should not be counted as a "tribal conquest" or win. This is what happened to many other indigenous groupings around the world who did not have immunity towards foreign diseases. I suspect colonial and inter Somali foul play in this event.

Is Bio Warfare halal? Just a thought lol. Read it here.

14-a2dd999bee.jpg

Last edited:

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
The whole affair took place within a single lifetime. Sultan Abdi Ibrahim of the Abudwaaq-Talamoge began his life fighting on the slopes of Bur Hakaba and died fighting on the slopes of Mount Kenya. He was in his sixties. All it took was 50 years.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
@IftiinOfLife the Ajuraan sultanate did not hold any sway over lands that were on the western bank of the Juba. As a matter of fact, there were no Somali speakers on the western bank of the Juba until the Darod crossed it in the 1860s.

The Ajuraan at this point were shegato of the Boran having run away from the Hiraab onslaught 2 centuries prior. As a matter of fact the Degodiye called the Ajuraan whom they met among the Boran "" because they participated in the Buna Qalaa of the Boran. The clans that dislodged the Oromo from the Juba-Tana were the Darod and the Degodiye.

It says the first Somalis in that area were the Rahanweyne, Ajuuran, and Hawiye, who did some shit to a people called "Wardeh?", whose identity is not clear. Are they Somali or Oromo? I never heard of a inter rivine oromo grouping lol.

This is Cassanelli's map of the South in 1650. The Warday were interior to the Ajuraan holding at Torre.

upload_2019-12-26_16-33-42.png

Last edited:

Wardey were Oromo and not Somali

Abdi Ibraahim Geelle,a warrior sultan , spearheaded Ogaden conquest of Jubaland and beyond.Ree Cabdi Ibraahim are now the royals of Caabudwaaq clan and they are living and eating good in Garissa county .

Very interesting read. The passage about how the Ogaden came through Mirifle lands matches up with the oral history of the region. But the arrival of the Marehan to Jubaland, mainly Gedo, contradicts the stuff I've heard. Interesting read nonetheless.

wardeh are oromos. they descend from orma, like me and other oromo clans.
they were assimilated and conquered by the expanding darood.
keep in mind that they are and were, isolated from other oromo clans, and were also weakened by smallpox.
my clan, would have been a different story entirely, hence the reason why are 14 million strong alone.
but Alhamdulilah you lose some, and you win some. :)

keep in mind that they are and were, isolated from other oromo clans, and were also weakened by smallpox.
my clan, would have been a different story entirely, hence the reason why are 14 million strong alone.

Hello Waachis

IftiinOfLife

Raw Hard Truth

You are a real Wardeh? Why do I doubt that lol.

14 million strong clan !?! What’s your Oromo clan?

What’s the main Oromo clans? The main Somali clans are Dir, Darood, Hawiye, Isaaq and rahanweyn

Nice. I see isaaq as allies against some ogadeni extremists. but i also like the fair minded ogadenis/daroods.
but overall i love Somalis.

major oromo clans are:
Maccaa, Arsi, Tuulama, Afran Qallo which is the 4 sons of Qallo [Ala, Babile, Jaarso, Noole] we even have a sub clan called hawiya and samaale :) sound familiar?

there's also karrayyu, wallo, libaan, and others.

Nice. I see isaaq as allies against some ogadeni extremists. but i also like the fair minded ogadenis/daroods.
but overall i love Somalis.

major oromo clans are:
Maccaa, Arsi, Tuulama, Afran Qallo which is the 4 sons of Qallo [Ala, Babile, Jaarso, Noole] we even have a sub clan called hawiya and samaale :) sound familiar?

there's also karrayyu, wallo, libaan, and others.
Hmm I’ve heard afran qallo are somewhat related to Somalis, is that true?

Trending