A history of the Juba-Tana Darod

Fair enough but atleast during the democracy era you had local representation and influence in the Parliament. I heard many good things about Sh Mukhtaar AUN, he was a close friend of Aadan Cadde AUN.

Afweyne was an idiot when he decided to completely sideline Raxanweyn who welcomed his ppl in the South. He gave Tumaal and Arabs (non Somalis!) more representation in his circle. Wasn't Jawaari the first Raxanweyn Minister after over a decade since 1969 :gucciwhat: and ppl wonder why the SDM attacked Marehan. Looks like the 1800s repeated itself.

Do you know about the famous Raxanweyn politician Cali Caliyoow in the 60s, he use to encourage his folk to become beesaani when they entered Xamar "sigaarka dhuuqa! joornaalka agriya!" :icon lol:

Even the democracy era was filled with corruption and nepotism, from the 60s onwards, a lot of the elections were straight up rigged, no wonder HDM would just boycott them. But you're right, Afweyne was the last nail in the coffin for us. None of the 25 ppl in the council were from our clans, none of the ministers, hardly any generals, even mīdGan were more reperesnted in politics and the military. It was marginalization to the max. I wonder why we didn't pick up weapons much sooner. Idk about Jawari, he could be the first.

I thought SDM attacked Darod when Gabyow tried to take over Baidoa, when Barre got him to sideline Omar Jess who was in control of the region. Jess had the support of the locals but we flipped when Gabyow came. Correct me if I'm wrong, the early part of the war is confusing.

I'd heard of that story but i didn't know it was raxaweyn guy that said it. If that's the case then Aliyow sums up what I was saying perfectly

Last edited:

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
Even the democracy era was filled with corruption and nepotism, from the 60s onwards, a lot of the elections were straight up rigged, no wonder HDM would just boycott them. But you're right, Afweyne was the last nail in the coffin for us. None of the 25 ppl in the council were from our clans, none of the ministers, hardly any generals, even mīdGan were more reperesnted in politics and the military. It was marginalization to the max. I wonder why we didn't pick up weapons much sooner. Idk about Jawari, he could be the first.

I thought SDM attacked Darod when Gabyow tried to take over Baidoa, when Barre got him to sideline Omar Jess who was in control of the region. Jess had the support of the locals but we flipped when Gabyow came. Correct me if I'm wrong, the early part of the war is confusing.

I'd heard of that story but i didn't know it was raxaweyn guy that said it. If that's the case then Aliyow sums up what I was saying perfectly

Between 1991 and 1993, various Somali factions clashed in Baidoa. Baidoa came under attack by anti-Barre forces in January 1991 (ION 19 Jan. 1991, 5; ibid. 26 Jan. 1991, 5), and had fallen to a combined attack by Jess' SPM (Ogaden) and Aidid's United Somali Congress (USC-Hawiye) forces by 26 January 1991 (ibid.). Gilkes writes that the Rahenwein Somali Democratic Movement (SDM) controlled Baidoa for most of 1991, but was unable to completely repel SNF forces from the area (Gilkes Sept. 1994, 141). The SDM-SNF clashes destroyed agricultural production in the area, which contributed to the 1992 famine that gripped Somalia and the Baidoa region in particular (ibid.). With the SNF still posing a threat to the region's Rahenwein population, one faction of the SDM sought help from General Aidid's militia in late 1991 (ibid. Sept. 1994, 142; AC 7 Feb. 1992, ).

In April 1992 Barre mounted a counter-attack on Mogadishu but his forces were repulsed to Baidoa, which is 240 kilometres west of the Somali capital (ARB 1-30 Apr. 1992, 10553; ION 25 Apr. 1992, 2). By June 1992 Aidid's forces had pushed Barre out of Somalia and into Kenya, and Aidid set up a temporary base in Baidoa (ARB 1-30 June 1992, 10621; Gilkes Sept. 1994, 142). Baidoa itself had been captured by a combined USC-SDM force (ION 2 May 1992, 2). The region remained insecure however, as local armed groups clashed with Aidid's militia (Voice of the Somali Republic 21 July 1992; ibid. 8 Dec. 1992; ARB Sept. 1-30 1992, 10723). Gilkes states that there were numerous allegations of Aidid's militia preying upon the Rahenwein in a manner not unlike that of the defeated SNF forces (Sept. 1994, 142). Baidoa remained a stronghold of the Rahenwein , the SDM was split along factional lines between those who supported the alliance with Aidid, and those who were aligned with Aidid's Hawiye-Abgal opponent Ali Mahdi, who headed up the Somali Salvation Alliance (SSA) (ibid. 143). For further information on the various SDM alliances and their impact on the Rahenwein, please consult pages 140-44 of Gilkes, which is available at Regional Documentation Centres.

Fair enough but atleast during the democracy era you had local representation and influence in the Parliament. I heard many good things about Sh Mukhtaar AUN, he was a close friend of Aadan Cadde AUN.

Afweyne was an idiot when he decided to completely sideline Raxanweyn who welcomed his ppl in the South. He gave Tumaal and Arabs (non Somalis!) more representation in his circle. Wasn't Jawaari the first Raxanweyn Minister after over a decade since 1969 :gucciwhat: and ppl wonder why the SDM attacked Marehan. Looks like the 1800s repeated itself.

Do you know about the famous Raxanweyn politician Cali Caliyoow in the 60s, he use to encourage his folk to become beesaani when they entered Xamar "sigaarka dhuuqa! joornaalka agriya!" :icon lol:

I did some research on Aliyow and it turns out he was a Deputy from the Eelay clan. Apparently he used to also say "kan gaduuthan caba", a reference to red wine. He lived in Hodan and has a road named after him there.