Some Somali children are ashamed to speak their mother tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess its because not that many Somali children are making trips back to Dhulka Hoyoo to reconnect with the dhaqan and Af Somaalii. Plus, theres no system in place for Af Somalii to be taught and used in the west. For starters, we should start teaching Af Somaali at Dugsiis alongside the quran.

My problem was that when I was younger I would always respond to my parents in English when the spoke to me in Somali. Somali greatly improved when I went to Somalia but when I got back I started speaking English again lol. I have not gotten much better this year but I am starting to speak the language at home. People just need to ensure that at the home they only speak their mother tongue otherwise they will have kids that can understand the language but cannot respond properly.
Keep it up walal, plus we need to put in place a system that will ensure the survival of the language in the west, for example dugsis teaching Af Somaali, Somali businesses using signs written in Af Somali etc.

it's actually spelled qaaddo not qaado, qaado means take. anything that makes a soft d sound is two d's anything that sounds like the "th" in that, is a single one.

somali spelling is easy, pronunciation is hard for me because i can't pronounce the 'dh" sound

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
#QaadoGang

Although my fam also says malqacad sometimes, as well as milix and bisad

:patrice:

Mukulaal and yaanyuur both sounds like foods :dwill:

I've heard both words before but I honest to god thought that they were cuunto or smth :dead:

Transparent

cismaan maxamuud
When i was younger my parents used to speak to me in Somali and i would reply with a blend of Somali and English.For example Hoyoo i want caano. I 100% understood the language but there was a mix of dialects.So basically i had a broad understanding of the language and plus i had a Reer waqooyi macaalin so i learnt words like eeg,imaka,inn yar , ect. The thing is in my younger days i never cared about the language and i didn't put any effort in learning it.Responding started to become hard when i talked to my ayeeyo on the phone so i decided to learn my language properly. My parents were really encouraging and my mom would always fix any mistakes i make.I have younger siblings and i fear for their understanding of the language let alone speaking.They are always on the laptop watching YouTube videos and make no effort to learn it.If you are willing to learn it properly,make sure you are not afraid of making mistakes and let the elders fix your pronunciation .In addition try to expand your vocabulary and commit those words to memory by using it frequently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending