Some Somali children are ashamed to speak their mother tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliluu

Call me LIBAX.
Alxamdulillah I know how to read, write and speak Somali..fluently..
And I was raised in the west...

I hate speaking English to people who know Somali, I even speak English to my Somali friends who don't know Somali to help them out.

But all in all, I dislike speaking English to Somalis whether they can speak the language or not.

My point was not related to the natural loss of language over a period of time with regards to diaspora communities . This is a phenomena which even happens to Somali clans who settled with Oromo.

The examples I gave were more pertinent to second generation Somalis -who claim to not even speak one word of Somali or jumped out from my their seats ,rather defensively ,when I mentioned the Somali language .one girl with the surname Warsame claimed that she was not even ethnically Somali,but Djiboutian and did not even know what magacaa meant .another somali boy said that "my mother speaks that ,not me ".

The responses on this somalispot do not explain why the Algerian Berber boy of a similar age to the Somali boy , can At least have a conversation with his parents in berber and French yet the Somali boy claims complete ignorance of Somali . We are not talking about a diaspora community who have been here for 300 years .let us get things into perspective ..

When Children of Somali origin ,a very insular community than most , are claiming complete ignorance of their tongue and then most of their peers are at least conversational in their mother tongue ,there is ,fellows and fellowetes ,something deeper and more profound at play here. There is a big difference between: 1. Genuinely not knowing something 2.feinging ignorance 3.not wanting to know .

That's actually one of the easiest things about Af-Soomaali. :icon lol:
just get ur double and single vowels straight, i think that's the main thing that trips ppl up. other than that just spell it out how u think it sounds and u should be good. for example:

qaado = spoon

qado = lunch

or

geri = giraffe (i think :lol: )

geeri = death

anything with an elongated vowel sound should have 2 of that vowel basically
I learned how to write and read Somali in 2011. It's really easy basically English but even more simple since words are written the exact same way as they are said unlike English
That's easy stuff what I do struggle with however is d and dh both with writing and speaking :kendrickcry: you gotta roll your tongue to say dhuuso or dhameer o_O

Oh woow thanks guys, it does make sense when you lot explain it to me lmao

It's easier if I say the word out loud before spelling, hmm inan inaan :hmm:

The dh and d was another tricky one, the roll your tongue tip is a good one, cheers

My point was not related to the natural loss of language over a period of time with regards to diaspora communities . This is a phenomena which even happens to Somali clans who settled with Oromo.

The examples I gave were more pertinent to second generation Somalis -who claim to not even speak one word of Somali or jumped out from my their seats ,rather defensively ,when I mentioned the Somali language .one girl with the surname Warsame claimed that she was not even ethnically Somali,but Djiboutian and did not even know what magacaa meant .another somali boy said that "my mother speaks that ,not me ".

The responses on this somalispot do not explain why the Algerian Berber boy of a similar age to the Somali boy , can At least have a conversation with his parents in berber and French yet the Somali boy claims complete ignorance of Somali . We are not talking about a diaspora community who have been here for 300 years .let us get things into perspective ..

When Children of Somali origin ,a very insular community than most , are claiming complete ignorance of their tongue and then most of their peers are at least conversational in their mother tongue ,there is ,fellows and fellowetes ,something deeper and more profound at play here. There is a big difference between: 1. Genuinely not knowing something 2.feinging ignorance 3.not wanting to know .

Are you talking about those people who CAN speak Somali but act like they can't. Well, they are either ashamed of being Somali or they have an inferiority complex..both are quite sad.

Smh our culture can be weak sometimes!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

rabshole

Aragaani

I cant speak for other ethnic groups but alot of somali parents use their kids as a way to better their English/ whatever country's language they reside in, often resulting in little use of somali at home. a sad reality really when you look ar it because they're somewhat trying to integrate. wanting to get a job and provide a good means for their families as fast as possible and when they realise something went wrong after settling in well its already too late because the kids are at the rebellious age.
I don't want to jump to conclusion but the kids might pick up on this and interpret their mother tongue as a tool out of its place and deem it useless.

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
I think u are Ciidagale
@Kanye just outted himself as a lander :yousmart: I gotchu brother

Lmaooo I was wondering wtf qando was? like isn't it malqacad :yloezpe:
@rabshole

giphy.gif

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
Now let me explain the remaining 25%
Minority 5% ( yibir, midgaan etc. )
Daarod 10% ( dhulbahante, warsangeli )
10% ( northern Dir )
:ummhmsmiley:

:sass1: You're still wrong. At this rate you might as well start compiling a list of all the clans and their respective sub-clans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts