Saturday 30th March 2024: Chapters 1 - 4 of the constitution will officially be passed through in parliament!

cow

VIP
Are you pro presidential system?

Somalia is already a presidential system the PM position is nothing other than confusion of the highest orda.

The sooner that position is eliminated the better it is for everyone.

This also weakens speaker of Parliament which is a good thing.

This also means the president gets to pick ministers. Previously the prime minister was given a bit of leeway like 2 or 3 to make him happy and a few deputy ministers.

Now president will name everything or bye bye PM.

Of course maxruum was the exception he had no power so I don't understand why ulusow is doing this. Because if hawiye loose next election then they will have zero power inside the government.

Bazed

Tired.
VIP
I don't think anything will change in the short term. It's the long term that this is about, 5-10 years to properly get everything implemented. It's a long process and I won't be surprised if the constitution is reworked again until we get one that people can at least tolerate.

Gemstone

Sincerity is a dangerous thing.
I don't think anything will change in the short term. It's the long term that this is about, 5-10 years to properly get everything implemented. It's a long process and I won't be surprised if the constitution is reworked again until we get one that people can at least tolerate.
The only place this will have change on is Banaadir, also the only place the interim constitution had any effect to begin with. PL, SL have been doing their own thing. Southern states were non functioning. The outcry is not genuine.

The change will be felt in Banaadir where the Federal corruption has wrecked havoc.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Culusow wants to negotiate with Puntland without losing face. This is why the vote was held today. If he was serious about passing the new constitution he would have held a roll call vote for the entire constitution instead of a show of hands vote for 4 articles.

I would be worried if they had held a roll call vote.

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
I just hate the article about prime minister and the political parties changing from its multi party system, some of the articles are good but these 2 just gives me bad feelings. But we will see HSM's end goal cause some parts of this constitution makes it easier for him to start a nepotistic dictatorship. But we will see.

Bazed

Tired.
VIP
The only place this will have change on is Banaadir, also the only place the interim constitution had any effect to begin with. PL, SL have been doing their own thing. Southern states were non functioning. The outcry is not genuine.

The change will be felt in Banaadir where the Federal corruption has wrecked havoc.
Altering something like how presidents are elected impacts all states whether they like it or not. It essentially means the old system is obsolete and that the power is no longer stored in the hands of a set of old men who are brought and sold.

He basically got what he wanted the PM is even worse than a VP now. Because the president can fire rhe PM at any moment. Which means the PM has no power whatsoever.

@Thegoodshepherd is being very delusional. Ulusow will do it slowly and will get everything he wanted.
VP is even more dangerous after PM is made useless and no parliament. Don’t want to see that in the hands of useless leaders

Bazed

Tired.
VIP
We act like the initial constitution was something we agreed on. It was a stopgap made to help stabilize and transition the nation from the anarchy era. I don't agree that the constitution should've been done so soon rather I think HSM should've focused his energy on that AS war he was on. However let's not pretend that when the issue finally did come up that we'd be on the same page.

Somali elites are some of the most bull-headed idiots in all of world politics. Nothing short of a divinely righteous leader would fix it or at least a man with his head on straight like Kagame. This constitution will probably fall through but leaders should take the opportunity to talk and come to the table about this issue.