What are specific cultural things (item, custom, art, practice) from your qabiil?

I am curious what things started in one particular region or community.

For example, Buraanbur in its origin is said to have first emerged amongst MJ.

This is intended to be an academic conversation aimed at honouring various contributions without attacking or downplaying anyone. In other countries you will find long books that go into the unique customs practices and histories of each region and its people that make up their nation.

I have heard the practice of ‘caano shub’ at a tribal chief coronation originated with the Dhulbahante, however I am not too sure how true that is.

I have heard the practice of ‘caano shub’ at a tribal chief coronation originated with the Dhulbahante, however I am not too sure how true that is.
Caano Shub I think is probably a general Somali coronation custom I've heard of it for Xawaadle who had their new Ugaas crowned last week as well as other clans.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
My grandmother is Reer Zeylac, so let me inform you about our customs (here is a short list).
  • Cambaabur
  • Zeylaci
  • Green Diracs (worn during engagements)
  • Bedazzled umbrellas
  • Harimadee

Northern Swordsman

Tawxiid Alle lahaw, Talo na Alle saaro.
Xeedho is a typical Isaaq culture (also common amongst neighbouring clans)

abt_1754336709360750786MTIyODQ0.jpg

A few things from Gadabuursi

Foods: Xaniid originated in Saylac along with many dishes including Cambabur and Bariis Surbiyaan.

Modern Somali Music - i.e the genre of Balwo started by Abdi Sinimo who along with his band taught the musicians that would later become famous in Hargeisa (Walaalaha Hargeisa) and elsewhere.

The song Jawhara iyo Luul- the hit Qaraami song comparable to France's La Marseillaise and composed by Suleh Madar Xoosh and Abdilahi Hussein Dabshid. It was written when the news of Hawd's transfer to Ethiopia was first discovered by Gadabuursi merchants in Aw Bare who kick started the Somali nationalist response to Britain's move.

Modern Somali Plays: Shabeel Nagood by Hassan Sheikh Mumin is considered the first Somali play and is said by critics to be in a league of its own with its rich social commentary and artistic form.

Last edited:
There is also the traditional sport of Gucusta shared at least between Ciise, Gadabuursi and Isaaq and likely a northern Somali custom.

Unfortunately I can't find an image of it but essentially it was very similar to a cross between lacrosse/hockey and rugby

1715984006471.jpeg

The dabqaad pot is made from a white clay or soapstone found in specific areas of Somalia. Meerschaum (sepiolite) is used to make the dabqaad, with the district of El Buur serving as a center for quarrying. El Buur is also the place of origin of the local pipe-making industry.

1715984391316.png

Our maqaar is one of the country's national treasure. Every figure in Somalia promotes it to foreigners to show off our culture. Murusade acted as a stabilising factor in shabbelle hoose and xamar, even our commercial maqaar business hunting the national animal cheetahs made us 3rd highest export in the country after bananas and livestock.

1685460286156.png

Trending