Y-DNA and mtDNA of Somali (Mostly) 23andMe Relatives

My ancestors in Arabia could have migrated from East-Africa after 3000 BCE prior to their arrival in the Arabian Peninsula, which is brings up the general modern day confusion of being an Arab or African.

Can someone elaborate on K1a? Do somalis have a unique subclade of this maternal haplogroup, or did we get the subclade found in many Europeans?

can someone give me more information on maternal haplogroup L1b1a, I did 23andme and got 100% somali and I believe this haplogroup originated from west Africa? Is this common for somalis to have my haplogroup. None of my relatives share this haplogroup. ??

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-12 172623.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-12 172623.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 85
can someone give me more information on maternal haplogroup L1b1a, I did 23andme and got 100% somali and I believe this haplogroup originated from west Africa? Is this common for somalis to have my haplogroup. None of my relatives share this haplogroup. ??
That haplogroup was present in the Shara and North Africa for a very long time. That's where you got yours from. It shares a common ancestor with the rest of the L1b up to 35 thousand years or so. Your connection with those West Africans on the maternal side is very old, not new. Basically, it came from the Nile Valley to the Horn of Africa.

23andMe hasn't designated a resolution for your sub-clade that is likely similar to this, for example:
1705096352675.png

Those Israeli flags are Bedouin Arabs.

The Kulubnarti Nubians also got this haplogroup only with extra mutations:
1705095952557.png

It solidifies that this had an old presence in Sharan and Nile Valley.

Around 1.78% of Somalis got L1b1a. Note that mtDNA is highly diversified among Somalis, so it is a noteworthy number and shared with unmixed Somalis with no West African-related DNA, which shows it is not from any recent influence.

Usually mixed Somalis have L1c and are half New World Black, generally. There was one half-Bermudan woman with L1b1a3. That sub-clade is a West African branch, with some old European introduction here and there.

So, basically, your mtDNA has been with the Cushites that came migrating from the Nile Valley and maybe had an older presence in the eastern Saharan region when we rewind time to the Green Sahara period. Probably introduced to the Nile Valley by Central Saharan pastoralists a very long time ago.

NidarNidar

Punisher
Upon further investigation most of those lineages come from African American/ Ethiopian mixed Somalis. However L5a1b, L1c3a, L2b are 100% northern Somalis though

I was surprised by I and J1c (mtDNA) . The 5 J1c appear to be unrelated. I don’t think I’ve seen studies mentioning Somalis with these lineages although “I” was apparently found in 2 Somalis
J1C is sudanese? my mother has J1B, I reckon it arrived alongside R1B into Africa.

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
I mean in your results it will show who your matches were right?
Yes. If you meant « which tribe do you mostly match » I’d say Isaaq and Dir. my top 40 matches seem to all come from (or partially) western and central SL, and it makes sense since I’m HA. The other matches are quite irrelevant since they’re pretty distant. The rest of my 800 matches are from northeast, central Somalia and Galbeed. I think I matched with very little southern Somalis.

It seems like the divide between « Sab and Samaale » clans is a real thing.
I’ve spoken to a RX brother and Garre one, both told me that they have just a couple hundred matches. Bare in mind, your average northern/central Somali person gets around 700-1000 matches on there. Quite interesting.

Download your DNA relatives data from 23andme then organize it in excel.

Btw I'm using old data from last summer. They disabled the ability to download data since the October hack.
They disabled it? Thankfully I downloaded my stuff.

Dude, that number I showed was all done through manual labor. Sifting through 100s of people was tiresome and tedious.:damn:

Trending

Latest posts