Why were Somalis cursed with dry land of death and drought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention the gift of almost being surrounded by sea water which provides the potential for desalination in the future when we have the funds. The desalinated water could be piped from the coast into the drier parts of North and Central Somalia for irrigation.

Majority of Somalia is dry land sxb. We only have few pockets of greenery in northern Sanaag and the farms in south Somalia.
Look how dry Somalia is compared to central and western Ethiopia.

5umtko.png

Muqdisho in a blessed location

JaLYl.gif

Hargeisa is not too lucky :francis:

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
Our land used to be good, the brits described the Habar Awal stretch of land to be thick bush with forests here and there and plenty varieties of trees..

Waxa dhacay nabad guur, wisdom has it that the negative actions of the somalis themselves have manifested in the land.

Nabad guur baa dhacay Saxib.

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
GeedDeeble is where reer hargeisa get their tap water from, it's our biggest reservoir I believe. It's also where the wounded went to during the war to get stitched up by volunteers like Halyeey Sahra Halgan.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Somalia is cursed by the Ethiopian highlands that create a rain shadow and capture much of the moisture that may have made Somalia as green as South Sudan. The only district in Somalia that averages above 600 mm of rain per year is Badhaadhe in the extreme south. Even there, rates of evaporation are very high and drought is sometimes severe. The only option Somalis have to secure a stable environment is to live alongside the river valleys. Everywhere else is marginal and will become even more marginal as time passes.

Bohol

VIP
Somalia is cursed by the Ethiopian highlands that create a rain shadow and capture much of the moisture that may have made Somalia as green as South Sudan. The only district in Somalia that averages above 600 mm of rain per year is Badhaadhe in the extreme south. Even there, rates of evaporation are very high and drought is sometimes severe. The only option Somalis have to secure a stable environment is to live alongside the river valleys. Everywhere else is marginal and will become even more marginal as time passes.

True it is due to the Ahmar mountains. They need to be demolished. :pachah1:

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
If you've ever driven from Hargeisa to Gabiley when you pass Agamsah you'll notice parallel trees on each side of the road planted by newly weds on their marriage date, it stretches for a few kms however if you look beyond these trees on either side there are vast amounts of farms that come to life during the raining season of the year, the whole horizon is green making you think you in some Highland area, at the moment most farms are citrus and grains but they could use these for a massive agricultural program.

Mashallah that baraka.

If you've ever driven from Hargeisa to Gabiley when you pass Agamsah you'll notice parallel trees on each side of the road planted by newly weds on their marriage date, it stretches for a few kms however if you look beyond these trees on either side there are vast amounts of farms that come to life during the raining season of the year, the whole horizon is green making you think you in some Highland area, at the moment most farms are citrus and grains but they could use these for a massive agricultural program.

Mashallah that baraka.

That's only during the good times inadeer. If there's no rain the entire area is not able to grow anything.

We have to make this sustainable somehow.

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
On 1:01 those planted trees. Are called Wadani, a type of Qat only grown in somaliland, the leaves are larger and the effects are more stronger than the Qat from the Hereri lands, its qadheeeeh I only went for a taste. :ftw9nwa:

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
That's only during the good times inadeer. If there's no rain the entire area is not able to grow anything.

We have to make this sustainable somehow.

Yeah, problem is the fresh water just runs down to the sea near Ceel Sheikh, there needs to be a water catchment system, or large ma made lakes that store enough water up until the following rains, wallahi when I was there just before the rains began I was thinking this land is dead, a month or two later I was witnessing the ayah 'Fa akhrajna bihi min kulli thamarat'

Guava, grapefruit, Orange, lemon, lime, beans, Mango (cambe laf), papaya, beetroot, kamisar (idk the word for this in English but it looks like grass), tomatoes, salad, maize, wheat are among the things I saw being sold in these small settlements like Agamsah and Carayaambo, oh and watermelon iyo squash, the abundance of food shocked me, and what's even more surprising is how there's nothing left a few months later.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
True it is due to the Ahmar mountains. They need to be demolished. :pachah1:

Don't say that :ftw9nwa: The people living in the Ahmar mountains are Muslim Oromo. They stole those mountains from us, but they are our closest relatives.

I personally see the future of my people in the area between the Juba and Tana, basically from Kismaayo to Garissa. I would slowly support the emigration of people out of Puntland, just enough to make sure population growth does not continue.

Go to google maps and draw a line from Imi to Beledweyne to Adale on the coast, everything north of that is pretty much fucked.
:manny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts