Why Socrates Hated Democracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is essentially saying you have to accept the world as it is. People that say that the book is immoral are the same naive people that buy into stupid politicians lies. They only see the world as the story that is being pushed by fox news and such.

I have very few people I can truly go in depth with when talking about politics and philosophy. But I study economics, so my peers are more interested in other things, which is understandable. I personally think that philosophy, history, politics and economics are all tied together. And if you know much in each of those different doctrines, then you will get a more accurate understanding of the world.

It's not easy to form a worldview, because the amount of information is very hard to digest when each doctrine has so many opposing teachings. But learning is a continuous lifelong process.

I agree. Machiavelli was a progressive man. He understood that we do not live in a utopia and that humans will always continue to mess things up until the end of time. He knew that too much freedom will negatively impact on society (e.g. the breakdown of the family, the LGBTQashin movement) and that the only way for people to remain sane is to be ruled by a benevolent dictator of sorts.

I agree. Machiavelli was a progressive man. He understood that we do not live in a utopia and that humans will always continue to mess things up until the end of time. He knew that too much freedom will negatively impact on society (e.g. the breakdown of the family, the LGBTQashin movement) and that the only way for people to remain sane is to be ruled by a benevolent dictator of sorts.
It is true.

Just like the people not accepting globalization. People try to revert back in time like "make America great again", but they don't understand that things only move forward.

This sounds terrible, but the world is moving in one direction. And we need a world government. When the AI's are developed to the point of singularity, then we can expect that the poor underdeveloped countries are going to stay poor, while the rich are only going to grow exponentially. This will create a gap were the African countries can never catch up.

So a world government would benefit everyone, with universal pay, were we tax the AI that works in the factories, just like we would tax humans. And that money would go to the society. A world government is probably a long time in the future though.

Freedom is overrated. People don't like freedom. There was a study being done not long ago. People were asked if they would like 20 different types of tee brands with different flavours, and they also offered people between 4 different brands. What they found out was, in theory, people like themselves to believe that more is better because it increases your chance to find the specific taste to your liking, but after the test, they all said they would rather choose between 4 different brands. This means that people like to be controlled in some way. Too much variety and information are not desirable for them. They like to keep their lives simple and to be given choices, but not too many.

But on our day to day lives, we act like that our choices are independent of outside control and spout rhetoric freedom and such. Machiavelli understood that people are not about that life. It is an illusion.

I bet that the few people that chose more variety on the tee, were, or would end up more successful in life. Because they see the benefit of having more freedom to process as much as possible and then narrow it down to the best option based on logic or personal preference.

Kratos

Sonder
He didn't hate democracy altogether; his criticism was specifically focused on the one-man one-vote system of democracy. He was specifically against allowing everyone to vote because not everyone is capable of identifying a potentially good leader. A vetted democratic system would be more ideal. It makes better sense to allow only people who are educated and understand what the implications of their chosen candidate's policies are. I believe that there should be an educational requirement for people to vote. You also should take a few courses on political science at the university level. There are too many dumb people for us to have a one-man one-vote system. The strength of a nation's democratic system depends on the overall education level of its population.

He didn't hate democracy altogether; his criticism was specifically focused on the one-man one-vote system of democracy. He was specifically against allowing everyone to vote because not everyone is capable of identifying a potentially good leader. A vetted democratic system would be more ideal. It makes better sense to allow only people who are educated and understand what the implications of their chosen candidate's policies are. I believe that there should be an educational requirement for people to vote. You also should take a few courses on political science at the university level. There are too many dumb people for us to have a one-man one-vote system. The strength of a nation's democratic system depends on the overall education level of its population.
You are right. But I think she meant the current democratic systems that Socrates hated so much.

What do you think would happen if you told people that they couldn't vote anymore because they lacked the requirements? The masses would again create problems and revolt. You'll have a better chance of educating the ignorant, instead of letting only the minority vote. They are too indoctrinated on how the elites have fucked them over time and time again to let the "smart ones" rule over them. That resembles the past too much.

Logically it would be best, but people are not all rational. The only way we could change this attitude is to indoctrinate the children in schools and prepare them for a new world. Right now, the world is too fragmented to make real progress.

Kratos

Sonder
You are right. But I think she meant the current democratic systems that Socrates hated so much.

What do you think would happen if you told people that they couldn't vote anymore because they lacked the requirements? The masses would again create problems and revolt. You'll have a better chance of educating the ignorant, instead of letting only the minority vote. They are too indoctrinated on how the elites have fucked them over time and time again to let the "smart ones" rule over them. That resembles the past too much.

Logically it would be best, but people are not all rational. The only way we could change this attitude is to indoctrinate the children in schools and prepare them for a new world. Right now, the world is too fragmented to make real progress.
Yes it would be extremely difficult to implement this in developed nations which already have the one-man one-vote system. The best route of action for them is for the government to attempt to make education more available. However for a country like Somalia (or any other developing nation with low education levels) it would probably work. A one-man one-vote system would probably be a terrible idea in Somalia. The issue is that the U.S and the U.N is pushing the government to adopt this system. The FGS is trying to implement this by 2020

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP

Forever my favourite video on the internet. I’ve always been an avid critic of democracy but it’s hard to voice my opinion in a country that glorifies and romanticises democracy.

In short, democracy is rule by the mob, who believe that voting is their right instead of a responsibility and decide based on their whims and personal desires, one of which is to drain the national treasury (i.e. welfare). Democracy is solely responsible for the political instability in the West. The video explains these points and others, so go watch it.

What do you guys think? And is there a better alternative to democracy?

Priestess.

I beg to differ. I think you are confusing your love for Greek Gods with Democracy. Politically speaking, Western Democracy is the best it can offer. It stems from yes, first from the Greeks, down to the Romans, and then to the Western Christendom.

The idea or basis behind Democracy is the concept of inclusion ie voters and collaboration ie government system checks.

I like the Western Democracy, especially the American constitution as it offer a system of governing that checks each other.

The Executive, the Legislature & the Judiciary. Our special president cannot just be a dictator, he will be checked!

Of course Democracy is not perfect, but it is the best. Compared to China's communism, Western Democracy becomes THE BEST.

Both have positives and negatives, but also both work for different folks. The white man race or brain is evolved. It cannot function under a dictator. As to the Chinese and Somalis, they need communism because that is the language they understand.

LoveandLight

LoveandLight the Liberator
He was, but like all dictators, grew drunk on power, became paranoid and finally caused a civil war when he refused to give up his power.

Mooshin and Misery

It is very sad what is happening to the Somali people. Let us count all the things that are plaguing the Somali speaking peoples:

Dac, Boob, Garax. Kufsi, Burcad Badeed, Tahriib, Flooding, Hunger, Drought, Desertification and other Natural Calamities. Then there are the Man-Made Disasters like War, Nuclear and other Toxic Waste dumped on our Waters, Terrorism, Criminals stealing our Natural Resources, Somali Women being shipped to the hated EY-raabs, where some have their passports taken away by their employers, and were some get raped! There are other things which other people can add. Let us remember the disasters plaguing the Somali people living in the West and other places like Africa. I AM thinking of making a New thread devoted to the Somali youth killing and being killed in the West. We will explore what the origins of these Calamities are, and possible solutions.

I am depressed!
:faysalwtf:

I work my best when listening to Queen Madonna! While writing this post, I am listening to Madonna's:

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Mooshin and Misery

It is very sad what is happening to the Somali people. Let us count all the things that are plaguing the Somali speaking peoples:

Dac, Boob, Garax. Kufsi, Burcad Badeed, Tahriib, Flooding, Hunger, Desertification and other Natural Calamities. Then there are the Man-Made Disasters like War, Nuclear and other Toxic Waste dumped on our Waters, Terrorism, Criminals stealing our Natural Resources, Somali Women being shipped to the hated EY-raabs, where some have their passports taken away by their employers, and were some get raped! There are other things which other people can add. Let us remember the disasters plaguing the Somali people living in the West and other places like Africa. I AM thinking of making a New thread devoted to the Somali youth killing and being killed in the West. We will explore what the origins of these Calamities are, and possible solutions.

I am depressed!
:faysalwtf:

I work my best when listening to Queen Madonna! While writing this post, I am listening to Madonna's:

Love

U r actually engaging in a debate today? Your medication must be working.

It is true.

Just like the people not accepting globalization. People try to revert back in time like "make America great again", but they don't understand that things only move forward.

This sounds terrible, but the world is moving in one direction. And we need a world government. When the AI's are developed to the point of singularity, then we can expect that the poor underdeveloped countries are going to stay poor, while the rich are only going to grow exponentially. This will create a gap were the African countries can never catch up.

So a world government would benefit everyone, with universal pay, were we tax the AI that works in the factories, just like we would tax humans. And that money would go to the society. A world government is probably a long time in the future though.

Freedom is overrated. People don't like freedom. There was a study being done not long ago. People were asked if they would like 20 different types of tee brands with different flavours, and they also offered people between 4 different brands. What they found out was, in theory, people like themselves to believe that more is better because it increases your chance to find the specific taste to your liking, but after the test, they all said they would rather choose between 4 different brands. This means that people like to be controlled in some way. Too much variety and information are not desirable for them. They like to keep their lives simple and to be given choices, but not too many.

But on our day to day lives, we act like that our choices are independent of outside control and spout rhetoric freedom and such. Machiavelli understood that people are not about that life. It is an illusion.

I bet that the few people that chose more variety on the tee, were, or would end up more successful in life. Because they see the benefit of having more freedom to process as much as possible and then narrow it down to the best option based on logic or personal preference.

I agree. Naive nostalgia for the past is messing up the politics of today. We can learn from the past, but not bring it back in its entirety. And the idea of advanced AI scares me. Hopefully I’ll be dead before the AI take over the world.

LoveandLight

LoveandLight the Liberator
I agree. Naive nostalgia for the past is messing up the politics of today. We can learn from the past, but not bring it back in its entirety. And the idea of advanced AI scares me. Hopefully I’ll be dead before the AI take over the world.

We are headed for a merging of Human Beings and AI tech, no doubt being ushered in by the minions of the Negative Entities (Negs): Service to Self, as opposed to Service to Love.

The Elite wish to live forever.

Light

He was, but like all dictators, grew drunk on power, became paranoid and finally caused a civil war when he refused to give up his power.
Wll i think this flawed democracy we are talking about is what caused the civil war. Why was there a need to change the president if he was already enough to rule us and we where contempt. People are taught that they have a right govern and rule by voting and electing who they like. Democracy has destroyed most of the muslim countries . Ex. Iraq is wishing Saddam was never killed as it was much better when he was in power . Somalia is wishing Aun Siyaad barre was in power. Lybia is wishinga Gadaafi was alive as lbyia has three different governments and is in shambles. Syria was in a much better place when Assad was in full power before the mob was told they needed change. Yemen was 1 country that was respecable Ali Abdulle Salah was in power before he was killed. Wll we could go on and on. Every president has flaws. No one is perfect.
I agree that democracy is horrible and doesn't work for somalis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts