Why is the word for 💩 the same in amharic and Somali

Funny story 😭💀 but i said in this person smells like shit in somali in because they smelled sooo bad and i knew they wouldnt understand cuz they look habesha and ae looked back at me after i said that and said did you call me 💩 or something and then he told me he understood bcz they also have the same word in amharic and i was so embarrassed and ran away basically 😭

So my question is why do we have the same word for 💩?? I thought our language was cushitic and theirs was semetic

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Funny story 😭💀 but i said in this person smells like shit in somali in because they smelled sooo bad and i knew they wouldnt understand cuz they look habesha and ae looked back at me after i said that and said did you call me 💩 or something and then he told me he understood bcz they also have the same word in amharic and i was so embarrassed and ran away basically 😭

So my question is why do we have the same word for 💩?? I thought our language was cushitic and theirs was semetic
What word you used?

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
I said xaar
The sound the word xaar is similar to arabic word "hot", which is another semitic language as Amharic or Tigraniya. Beside that Habesha can't pronounce the letter X, so how they understood you so quickly?

'Xaar' is an Ethio-Semitic loan word that made its way into the Somali language, that's why that Amhara guy understood you.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP

because we related from our mother side. Somali dad was pure semitic. and mom was habashi

really, could you give me a source?
I don't know, man. I'm not one of the SSpot historians. A temporarily banned user just told me to pass on the message.
Message Here You Go GIF by Assassin's Creed

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
I see you're very upset by my lack of academic references, so I searched through the older threads and in just a few minutes, I found this, corroborating the above.

Hope that helps 😘
no it doesn't, no word that is similar to Xaar in those two languages.

Hebrew and possibly Amharic seem to have dropped a lot of Xa sounds for khas the X no longer exists in their languages.

This why you all that khamas, khezbollah, akhmed jibberish spouted by the Israeli politicians.

Hebrew Khara was probably Xara once upon a time…………….

Good lesson though don’t be a chatty patty abti

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Hebrew and possibly Amharic seem to have dropped a lot of Xa sounds for khas the X no longer exists in their languages.

This why you all that khamas, khezbollah, akhmed jibberish spouted by the Israeli politicians.

Hebrew Khara was probably Xara once upon a time…………….

Good lesson though don’t be a chatty patty abti
is there an evidence that X was in Hebrew and then it dropped?

is there an evidence that X was in Hebrew and then it dropped?
I am not sure, havent researched it but that’s what I think.

I like to think the absence of X in Amharic, Oromo etc is a latter development of loss rather than other languages gaining those sounds. Seems like it was more common in more afroasiatics just based of geography of languages.

Take for example, how X sound exists in Rendille, maxa tiri and is absent in Maay which is closer to Rendilles. Af Maay probably dropped it from the source language of rendille and maxa tiri. Then, you have South Cushitics with X sounds. It makes more sense for Maay to have turned madax into mada than Somali changing into madax. X sounds also prominent in Afar and Saho etc.

Similar situation for Hebrew probably.

The sound the word xaar is similar to arabic word "hot", which is another semitic language as Amharic or Tigraniya. Beside that Habesha can't pronounce the letter X, so how they understood you so quickly?

the somali word ( xaar حار ) is similar to Proto-West Semitic word ( khara خرا ) or ( ܚܪܝܐ حريا) ,

in Hebrew: חָרָא (khará خرا , ḥarā / xara حرا) .
Aramaic: Classical Syriac: ܚܶܪܝܳܐ ( ḥeryā/xerya حريا ) and in Jewish Babylonian Aramaic: חִרְיָָא ( ḥiryā /xerya حريا ) .
in Arabic خِرَاء ( khira' ) or ( khara خرا ) .
in Tigre: ሐርዕ (ḥärʿحر ), ኀሪ (ḫäri خري) Tigrinya: ሐርኢ (ḥärʾi / xaar'y حارئي ), ሓርኢ (ḥarʾi حري)

Let us not fall into the linguistic fallacy committed by the members of this forum, which is to affirm that the Somali language borrowed the word from the so-called Semitic languages simply because of the verbal similarity, forgetting that the Somali language and the Semitic languages belong to the family of Afroasiatic languages.

letter ( x / ḥ ح ) and letter ( kh / ḫ خ ) are interchangeable in languages .
for example :
the word ( brother ) in semitic languages is :

in Akkadian: pronounced as a letter ( kh / ḫ خ ) : 𒋀 (aḫum) أَخُم akhum ,
in Arabic: pronounced as a letter ( kh / ḫ خ ) : أَخ (akh) ,
and in Ugaritic: pronounced as a letter ( kh / ḫ خ ) : 𐎀𐎃 ( أَخ ảḫ , akh /⁠ أخو ʾaḫu , akhu ) ,

while in Hebrew : pronounced as a letter ( kh / ḫ خ ) : ( אָח أَخ ákh )
pronounced as a letter ( x / ḥ ح ) : and ( أح āḥ/ ax )
and same thing in Phoenician: 𐤀𐤇 ( أَخ ákh , أح āḥ / ax ) ,

but in Aramaic: Jewish Babylonian Aramaic: pronounced as a letter ( x / ḥ ح ) :
אֲחָא ( أَحَ ʾăḥā / axa ) ,
and in Classical Syriac: pronounced as a letter ( x / ḥ ح ) : ܐܰܚܳܐ ( أَحَ ʾaḥā / axa ) .

in Harari: pronounced as a letter ( x / ḥ ح ) : እሕ (əḥ أح āḥ/ ax ) Tigre: ሑ ( حو ḥu ) Tigrinya: ሓወ ( حوا ḥawä ) .

Last edited:
'Xaar' is an Ethio-Semitic loan word that made its way into the Somali language, that's why that Amhara guy understood you.
prove that the Somali word ( xaar ) is a loan word from Ethio-Semitic .
Let's not forget that Somali and Semitic belong to the same language family.

The word ( xaar ) in the Somali language has an etymological explanation.
but the word ( xaar ) in Ethiosemitic or in Semitic languages in general has no etymological explanation .

I am afraid you will say that the Somali word ( af ), the Somali word ( biyo ) and the Somali word ( aabe ) are loan words from the Ethiopian Semitic language , because they exist in those languages.