Why is Somali architecture so ugly?

Velœcity

Bosaaso iyo Qandala
Somali house architecture has to be one of the ugliest things I’ve laid my eyes on, we could build beutiful limestone villas but instead we build a plastic villa, that looks like a kindergartner designed it

781E9D01-3EEF-4244-9EC0-A607DF1CD17D.jpeg

E2311607-07FB-4240-8DD1-8B1E9A5EC0FF.jpeg

Thalassocracy

سبحان اللهِ وبحمدِه Free Palestine
Not only is it beautiful, they have a much higher quality of life than those living in the west, the house is spacious expansive, and the womenfolk and children have much privacy to go out in their house. Even the materials to build the house are pure and not toxic like American fiberglass insulation or gypsum mortar

this is ideal

Last edited:

Thalassocracy

I have family that have many trees with shades and fruits in Puntland in these same houses it’s like a small paradise

I would never wish Apartments upon a Somali family, living like bugs. We’re apex predators not xoolo

Modern Somali architecture*

Pre-civil war was very nice because it took aspects from Italian-Spanish style but added a Somali twist to it

Velœcity

Bosaaso iyo Qandala
Not only is it beautiful, they have a much higher quality of life, than those living in the west , the house is spacious expansive, and the womenfolk and children have much privacy to go out in their house. Even the materials to build the house are pure and not toxic like American fiberglass insulation or gypsum mortar

this is ideal
🤣🤣 take a look at that material one more time, it looks like they used rubberbands to keep the bricks together, and don’t forget the fact that it doesn’t even have a proper garage.

we could build limestone villas that are better and more durable.
12A612B6-2F3B-4D92-918A-22D50AFCB3FE.jpeg
F9A99DFA-7274-4DA2-B3A2-652FBB5C671F.jpeg

Velœcity

Bosaaso iyo Qandala
Can someone elaborate on what Somali architecture is?
“Somali architecture is the engineering and designing of multiple different construction types such as homes, stone cities, castles, citadels, fortresses, mosques, temples, aqueducts, lighthouses, towers and tombs” -Wikipedia

3LetterzMM

LG gang we gon slide for my nigga 🤐🥷
It’s the recent shit dat looks whack the older houses with the Italian design look fuego. Look at merka for reference.

Awad

عادل | جامعة الدفاع العربي
“Somali architecture is the engineering and designing of multiple different construction types such as homes, stone cities, castles, citadels, fortresses, mosques, temples, aqueducts, lighthouses, towers and tombs” -Wikipedia
Im referring to the style that differs from other architecture

Thalassocracy

Somalia has some of the wealthes
🤣🤣 take a look at that material one more time, it looks like they used rubberbands to keep the bricks together, and don’t forget the fact that it doesn’t even have a proper garage.

we could build limestone villas that are better and more durable.View attachment 232680View attachment 232681
Bro limestone is very expensive to and unsustainable on a large scale the traditional Somali architecture is mudbrick/adobe which is very versatile long lasting cheap healthy DYI and healthy

Mudbrick is also the traditional vernacular architecture of Egypt Sudan Eritrea Sahel region , North Africa , South Europe/Mediterranean , and Arabia . There was even abobe structures built in West China and Southwest Native Americans,

Velœcity

Bosaaso iyo Qandala
Somalia has some of the wealthes

Bro limestone is very expensive to and unsustainable on a large scale the traditional Somali architecture is mudbrick/adobe which is very versatile long lasting cheap healthy DYI and healthy

Mudbrick is also the traditional vernacular architecture of Egypt Sudan Eritrea Sahel region , North Africa , South Europe/Mediterranean , and Arabia . There was even abobe structures built in West China and Southwest Native Americans,
Somalia has limestone mountains up north so we dont have to worry about expenses, and it’s natural, chemical free, and has good sustainability especially compared to bricks and mud.

Thalassocracy

Somalia has limestone mountains up north so we dont have to worry about expenses, and it’s natural, chemical free, and has good sustainability especially compared to bricks and mud.
You can make a mud brick house for free if you have the knowledge, skill, and use your family for labor

limestone is usually used for public infrastructure, like mosques etcs

zackattack

Cowabunga

The pyramids are made out of limestone hence it will last forever it's very good building material .

I think they can look nice but without roads and those massive gates it won’t look nice.

But nothing compares to old Somali architecture

View attachment 232672View attachment 232673View attachment 232674

Those old somali villas are spectacular.

If I were to construct a home in Somalia it would be with this style, but with clay bricks or natural stones (i.e limestone). It would have many arches and a possibly a roof with terracota tiles. The colours would be mediterrean (whites, browns, and maybe pinks).

Also I hate it when people use broken tiles and concrete as paving. The tiles are dangerously smooth (slippery when wet or covered in dust). See the first picture.

Some people these days are using concrete pavers. These are cheap and look better, but they could use natural stones or even bricks for a more luxurious look.

Things are improving though. I've seen some nicer homes being constructed.