Why don't Somalis use the osmanya?

A tribe in India called the Santali didn't have no written script as they were using other scripts to write their language but didn't have the letters and sounds for their language but that changed in 1925 when Raghunath Murmu created the ol chiki alphabet for the Santali people. Today books are published in the script,movies,online and i do believe the same can happen with Soomaalida if were to return back to using Osmanya.

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Because at the time of Somalia's independence all the typewriters and presses were in Latin because of our colonizers. It would have costed lots of money to create new infrastructure for Osmanya so they just used what they already had and did with Latin.

TLDR: It was cheaper to use Latin.

Because at the time of Somalia's independence all the typewriters and presses were in Latin because of our colonizers. It would have costed lots of money to create new infrastructure for Osmanya so they just used what they already had and did with Latin.

TLDR: It was cheaper to use Latin.
I already know that but why do Somalis want to continue using foreign script like Latin or Arabic instead of Cismaanya. You have ethnic groups whom are proud of their scripts even the ugliest of scripts like Xabaashi.

I already know that but why do Somalis want to continue using foreign script like Latin or Arabic instead of Cismaanya. You have ethnic groups whom are proud of their scripts even the ugliest of scripts like Xabaashi.
It is impossible.

Somali people used Arabic alphabet for centuries then started using latin and this usmanly came at the worst time to invent new alphabet.

Btw it's so ugly

Hamzza

VIP
A tribe in India called the Santali didn't have no written script as they were using other scripts to write their language but didn't have the letters and sounds for their language but that changed in 1925 when Raghunath Murmu created the ol chiki alphabet for the Santali people. Today books are published in the script,movies,online and i do believe the same can happen with Soomaalida if were to return back to using Osmanya.

As you may know, Somali society is divided into Qabiil lines; every clan is suspicious of the other.
The Osmanya from its beginnings was seen as a Majerten script and Somalis were always reluctant to accept Majerten supremacy.

For example Ricci in 1951 said:

… la scrittura osmania conservΓ² a lungo il carattere di un fatto strettamente etnico, gentilizio anzi, legato all’ambiente in cui si formΓ².

"… the Osmania script retained for a long time the characteristics of a strictly ethnic – even
clanic – phenomenon, and it was closely linked to the milieu in which it developed."

Cerulli confirms the clanic nature of the script in the final remarks of his 1932 short article, when he writes:

È da augurare, per molte ragioni, che questo tentativo dei Migiurtini di dare un alfabeto al
Somalo riesca (Cerulli 1959 [1932]: 179)

"It is to be wished, for several reasons, that this Majarteen attempt at providing an alphabet for
the Somali language be successful."

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
Osmanya isn’t our only native script. There’s also Kaddare and Borama scripts. Why should one be prioritised over the other 2?

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Are you saying the language of the Quran, the language of the Messenger ο·Ί and his Hadiths are not superior to all the other languages? Stop playing dude
:drakewtf:
The Quran being revealed in Arabic doesn't make Arabic superior. There are no qualities that Arabic has that makes it any better than any other language, the idea of a language being better than another is ridiculous.

OffTheDome

Proud American
The Quran being revealed in Arabic doesn't make Arabic superior. There are no qualities that Arabic has that makes it any better than any other language, the idea of a language being better than another is ridiculous.
Yeah it does actually. We pray in Arabic, we read Quran and Hadith in Arabic, you need to learn Arabic to understand the many aspects of the religion. That alone makes it superior. Why are you so Anti-Arabic? It’s a language for all Muslims.
:snoop:

Umar bin al-Khattab May Allah be pleased with him said, "Learn the Arabic language because it is from your religion.

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Yeah it does actually. We pray in Arabic, we read Quran and Hadith in Arabic, you need to learn Arabic to understand the many aspects of the religion. That alone makes it superior. Why are you so Anti-Arabic? It’s a language for all Muslims.
:snoop:

Umar bin al-Khattab May Allah be pleased with him said, "Learn the Arabic language because it is from your religion.
I am not Anti-Arabic. Muhammad SAW was arab. I am speaking from a linguistic POV not an Islamic one.

induction

Nothing is true; everything is permitted
because it's a stupid idea. it's a waste of resources. Somalia is weak, poor, and not developed at all. Why on earth would you waste time adopting a script that no one uses internationally? just for the sake of having it? maybe if Somalia was powerful i'd understand, but in our current situation useless ideas like this shouldn't even be on our minds.

because it's a stupid idea. it's a waste of resources. Somalia is weak, poor, and not developed at all. Why on earth would you waste time adopting a script that no one uses internationally? just for the sake of having it? maybe if Somalia was powerful i'd understand, but in our current situation useless ideas like this shouldn't even be on our minds.
Why is it stupid for preserving osmanya and wanting go be proud to wite our language. If this was Arabic you wouldn't say anything.