Why don't Somalis speak Italian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
And how would somalis and afars understand one another without it?

What's the difference between speaking english or ftench, since we were colonised by both

You guys should have cucked the Afar and force them to speak Somali.

Eritrea forces them to speak Tigrinya.

And how would somalis and afars understand one another without it?

What's the difference between speaking english or ftench, since we were colonised by both?

It's not my fault your ppl are too low I.Q to learn a foreign language. Take that one up with allah, ma nigga
Don't divert you wecel, this isn't about learning languages. You're a spineless cretin if you think it's ok to relegate your own language to an inferior status & make a foreign language official.

Pathetic.
:siilaanyolaugh:

Apollo

VIP
The nation of Cushites :siilaanyolaugh:

Djibouti_airport.jpg

VIP
You guys should have cucked the Afar and force them to speak Somali.

Eritrea forces them to speak Tigrinya.

Somali mothafucka, learn it teeth filing savage. :lol:

Nah lol, That would be a bridge too far. Imagine kissing the frenchs ass gor 80 years and then they hand the country to the somalis on their way out. That's humiliation enough, sxb.

Some more words we "borrowed":

Giallo (yellow)
Rossetto (lipstick) <---found this out from watching a Spanish makeup tutorial
Bella/Bello (beautiful or handsome)
Giornale (newspaper)
Gonna (skirt)
Calze (socks)
Bambola (doll)
Marrone (brown) <---actually found this one out by listening French music, lol (further research has also shown me that this is also Spanish, weird world)
Radio (radio) <---the way we pronounce it sounds very much like the way Italians pronounce it
Festa (holiday/party)

Anyway, that's all I remember from my few sessions of Italian in Duolingo and watching an Italian TV show. I suspect there's even more Italian-loaned words in the Somali language. Compared to other colonies, though, we're actually fairly independent of Italian influence within our language. For a country controlled by the Italians for over 60 years, I'm surprised there aren't even more. We ought got to give credit to Siad Barre, however, for discouraging Italian influence within our noble language.

Last edited:
Actually everyone missed the real reason why Italian influence is not as strong anymore and that’s because Italy ceased to be a strong country it once was around the same time Somalis got independence. Italy is pretty irrelevant in the world stage today. Italy is very weak very poor very broke it’s almost on same level as Greece. Their most pressing issues are dealing with migrants and dealing with their financial woes where as France is very much still a top 6 World Power that’s why they have a base in their former colony , they still maintain a relationship with Djibouti because they can afford to. You think Italy wouldn’t have a diplomatic relationship showering Mogadishu with millions like the Turks or Qataris do if they had the means to do it also? Turkey and Qatar aren’t throwing that money around expecting nothing in return.

Italian words are still heavy used by Somalis though, even the entire Somali cuisine was changed by Italians. Forget just words look at what you eat

Djibouti straight up has French and Arabic as it official languages.

Reminds me of this

They really shove their colonial past down other Somalis throats all the time lol like come on we have a mutual language we can communicate through without the need for your colonial 2nd language

I speak it fluently because I was raised there. It is a beautiful language and country. Amazing food and weather.

Damm, I thought Somalis only went there for tahriib purposes. Never knew people voluntarily stayed in Italy. Are there any major Somali hubs in Italy?

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Looked it up and found a couple more

Fargeeto
Armaajo
Shukamaan/asciugamano
Doolshe
Istaraasho
Buskuleeti
Kastuumo
Salooto
Okiyaal/occhiali
Had no idea we had so many Italian loan words :shookgabre:
It makes sense since many of those concepts were introduced to us by Italians. We didn't have words for these things but this is something that we should fix.

Most countries around the world use English in a similar manner, including Somalia. For example, there was a motion to impeach Farmajo this week and Somali news outlets were using "moshin" and "moshinka".

If you watch anime, you have probably seen the countless amount of times they randomly incorporate Engrish into their sentences as well.

France is conscious of this problem and very protective of their language. They have entire governmental department dedicated to quickly creating new words for new foreign concepts and technologies.
The Académie, a council of 40 writers and artists, is entrusted with protecting French from “Anglo-Saxon” attacks and writing an official dictionary, of which the latest unfinished version began in 1992.

One of its tasks is to come up with French equivalents to unwanted English words that slip into French – for example turning “email” into “courriel”.
Agnès Oster, secretary of the body’s dictionary commission, told The Daily Telegraph that more English terms would be added to its online blacklist every month.

November’s additions will include the franglais term “supporter” to mean “support” (a team, for example). It suggests replacing it by “soutenir” or “encourager”.

It will also urge French-speakers to drop Anglicised superlatives like “top”, “must”, or “hyper” using instead proper French terms like “incomparable”, “très bien”, or “inégalable”.

It also hopes to wean them off the cinema term “casting” and replace it with “passer une audition”.

The French culture ministry recently launched a similarly collaborative web site called “wikilf.culture.fr”, short for Wiki French Language, asking people to come up with home-grown terms for anglophone words.

It was appalled to discover more than 10 million occurrences of the word “networking” on French-speaking web pages, whereas there is a perfectly good French alternative: “Travail en réseau”.

Recent suggestions from web users were to replace “le binge drinking” with “biture fissa”, “hotline” with “numéro d’urgence” and “brainstorming” with “remue-méninges”.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...battles-to-protect-language-from-English.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_France

We must do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts