Why do we marry our cousins?

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I can definitely tell you cousin marriages in Somalia is a new trend.

Most Kacaan gen people I have asked said that it was always considered weird in pre-war Somalia. It was not rare but definitely uncommon and a reer baadiye trait.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I swear some people on this forum want their family to be a game of musical chairs.

giphy.gif

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I can definitely tell you cousin marriages in Somalia is a new trend.

Most Kacaan gen people I have asked said that it was always considered weird in pre-war Somalia. It was not rare but definitely uncommon and a reer baadiye trait.

Somali nomads seemed to have practiced a lot of exogamy on the maternal side. Not always but usually the case. This is why most people can recount to you that one of their ayeeyos or great ayeeyos or even their hooyo is of a different subtribe or tribe altogether. I'm mostly a Harti dude but my maternal lineages have Habar Yoonis, Raxanaweyn and Mareexaan among their ranks. This also probably explains why the same mtDNA lineages keep popping up all over Somaliweyn and why Somalis have so much IBD sharing across Somaliweyn. You will see a nigga from Sanaag popping up with relatives in Gedo and Jabuuti, lol. It fits with a lot of the tribal myths too. Like the story of Daroods supposedly becoming Somali through their tribe's founder marrying the the Dir chief's daughter.

Br
It doesn’t make any sense to marry your own cousin, especially not your close cousin. A lady my mom is friends with married her first cousin (her father and his father were siblings). 2 of her kids have cerebral palsy and the remaining 3 are different levels of autistic. This is a really common pattern with other people who have kids with their cousins. All that aside, what happens if they divorce? It’ll cause problems in the family. It’s just a bad, bad idea. :ileycry:
Bruh r u talking to Asians 😂

not common with somalis unless your reer xamar then it is but pakistanis and indians do this and they do it for many reasons its about keeping the money in the family and also less chance of that a family member will do you wrong......

What if you saw her one time at a family gathering and her abaayo hugging her curves and her walking away to the kitchen seeing the fuuto go dac dac up n down caused something to stir inside you. Would you deny yourself the marriage? I don't think so.
everyone tries to act like they wouldn't go for their hot cousin lol if you grow up with them its more harder but if you never seen them and they your cousin and look hot you gonna feel some type of way...

Trending

Latest posts