Why do Somalis think Menigstu Haile Mariam was Amhara?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohol

VIP
From your perspective(since, ya know, I might be biased:icon mrgreen:)?? I'm interested in hearing it...

Well it is easy to figure it out. Amhara interest is a Abyssinian state based on monarchy (no federalism) , they are also against secession. Oromos on the other hand are for secession or at-least greater autonomy, two totally different conflicting interests.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
Probably culture and language. I think Amhara is like the in middle of those two; we are most like the Tigrayans but we are also similar to some Oromos.
Ask them to dress traditionally, only way:icon lol: :umad: Oromo's can sometimes be easier to tell apart
Those West-Central Oromos are pretty much identical to Amharas culturally/genetically though.

So if you want to call Haile Selassie or those generals "Oromo", then that's wrong. They considered themselves Amhara, and though their clans/people speak Oromo today, they are actually assimilated Habeshas. :icon lol::icon lol:

Those West-Central Oromos are pretty much identical to Amharas culturally/genetically though.

So if you want to call Haile Selassie or those generals "Oromo", then that's wrong. They considered themselves Amhara, and though their clans/people speak Oromo today, they are actually assimilated Habeshas. :icon lol::icon lol:
Yes those are the only ones that are harder to tell apart, there's been a lot of mixing in that area:icon lol:.
Apparently we have longer less square faces than the Amhara, but I don't really notice differences like that:faysalwtf:.

TooMacaan

VIP
Well it is easy to figure it out. Amhara interest is a Abyssinian state based on monarchy (no federalism) , they are also against secession. Oromos on the other hand are for secession or at-least greater autonomy, two totally different conflicting interests.
I'd argue there are two branches then, of each type. You've captured the classic Amharas well though; most of those tend to be imperialistic type thinkers who remain nostalgic about the outdated monarchy. As for Oromos, the hardcore ones want to secede but there are many who see themselves as Ethiopians (since their ancestors have contributed greatly to the independence/greatness of the nation).

Bohol

VIP
I'd argue there are two branches then, of each type. You've captured the classic Amharas well though; most of those tend to be imperialistic type thinkers who remain nostalgic about the outdated monarchy. As for Oromos, the hardcore ones want to secede but there are many who see themselves as Ethiopians (since their ancestors have contributed greatly to the independence/greatness of the nation).

Like you somaha. I recall in some post you said you were trying to subdue your imperialistic veins or something along those lines :lol: :lol: .

TooMacaan

VIP

They are very similar to us but they aren't the same (neither genetically or culturally...[unless they have been assimilated to the point they don't know that they're Oromo, but I'm referring to the ones that live in north-western side who still call themselves Oromo]). Haile Selassie was of mixed ancestry (neither Oromo alone or Amhara alone...rather Oromo/Amhara/Gurage), he identified as Amhara only because that was his claim to the throne and due to a need for a united front.

TooMacaan

VIP
Yes those are the only ones that are harder to tell apart, there's been a lot of mixing in that area:icon lol:.
Apparently we have longer less square faces than the Amhara, but I don't really notice differences like that:faysalwtf:.
Lmao, I heard (or read?) about that too...meaning, we're supposed to have rounded faces I guess...?? :ftw9nwa:

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
They are very similar to us but they aren't the same (neither genetically or culturally...[unless they have been assimilated to the point they don't know that they're Oromo, but I'm referring to the ones that live in north-western side who still call themselves Oromo]). Haile Selassie was of mixed ancestry (neither Oromo alone or Amhara alone...rather Oromo/Amhara/Gurage), he identified as Amhara only because that was his claim to the throne and due to a need for a united front.
As a Somali, I can't tell the difference. You're both Christian, eat raw meat, quite light skin and do that weird shoulder dance. :dabcasar:

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
Amharas are wierd. Some look full on cadaan in complexion but I've met several who look like mengistu. It's pretty clear they are mixed.

Bohol

VIP
Amharas are wierd. Some look full on cadaan in complexion but I've met several who look like mengistu. It's pretty clear they are mixed.

Never met a Amhara that looked like Menigstu. Those are properly sheegatos (assimilated groups) and not real Amhara.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
Never met a Amhara that looked like Menigstu. Those are properly sheegatos (assimilated groups) and not real Amhara.

I'm pretty sure they were Amhara. One guy went to my school he was very dark with Madow hair but his little sister looked like an avg East African. I don't think they have shegatos, they probably just have a lot of admixture.

You can see their Madow type @ 49 seconds here.

Every time we come sooo :ohhhdamn: close to convert the whole horn into Islam, they go crying to rest of the world to save them :mjcry:.

There's three kinds of Oromo:

- The Habeshi ones who are genetically, linguistically, and culturally indistinguishable from the amxaaro. The live in the more central/Northern parts and are called, I think, Arsi, Shewa, Bale or something. The live in places like Addis Ababa all the way to the Bale mountains.

- The Eastern Oromo, the true Oromos. They are usually called Afran Qollo (Afar Qollo in Somali) and live in the eastern portion with the Somalis in Galbeed. They've managed to absorb and assimilate a few Somali clans like Gurgura, Jaarso, Gaadsan, Garre etc. This group would be closest to Somalis genetically and culturally, though they are still quite different to us.

- Southern Oromos. This group includes Borana who live in the southern parts of Ethiopia and Northern Kenya. This group has a lot of nilotic ancestry and admixture.

That's my limited knowledge on ethnic groups in the horn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts