Why didnt somalis get conquered like oromos, afars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
I need sources on this as well as my previous question

I actually found the original source. The Ethiopian wasteman editted Wikipedia because he couldn't accept that major L. Menelik actually sent 15 thousand forces, not 11 thousand lol.

"The British, Italians, and Ethiopians partitioned Greater Somalia into spheres of influence, cutting into the previous nomadic grazing system and Somali civilizational network that connected port cities with those of the interior. The Ethiopian Emperor Menelik's Somali expedition, consisting of an army of 15,000 men, made a deep push into the vicinity of Luuq in Somalia. However, his troops were soundly defeated by the Sultanate of the Geledi, with only 200 soldiers returning alive and at the same time his survived soldiers were heavily traumatized. The Ethiopians subsequently refrained from further expeditions into the interior of Somalia but continued to attack the people in the Ogaden by plundering the nomads of their livestock numbering in the hundreds of thousands."

Source: Divine madness: Moḥammed ʻAbdulle Ḥassan (1856-1920) page 69.

@Crow @Shaolin23 I was wrong, it was actually 14,800 that got bodied in one battle.
:damn::deadosama:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Geledi Sultanate was known to have a massive standing army. They used 40,000 troops to quell the Baardheere jihads.

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...ali-jihad-against-the-geledi-sultanate.45755/

Don't forget the most powerful Geledi ruler called Ahmed Yusuf Gobroon militarily defeated the Zanzibar Sultanate and forced the Omani king to pay tribute in the coastal town of Lamu. The Rahanweyn at that time were even abusing the Arabs lol.

"Through his military dominance, Sultan Yusuf managed to exact tribute from the Omani king in the coastal town of Lamu and regularly extended his support to East African sultanates fighting the Zanzibaris."

Source: Sudan Notes and Records - Page 147

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Don't forget the most powerful Geledi ruler called Ahmed Yusuf Gobroon militarily defeated the Zanzibar Sultanate and forced the Omani king to pay tribute in the coastal town of Lamu. The Rahanweyn at that time were even abusing the Arabs lol.

"Through his military dominance, Sultan Yusuf managed to exact tribute from the Omani king in the coastal town of Lamu and regularly extended his support to East African sultanates fighting the Zanzibaris."

Source: Sudan Notes and Records - Page 147
You left out the best part.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Yusuf_(Gobroon)
Ahmed Yusuf was considered to be the most powerful king in east Africa in his time. He managed to gather 20 thousand Somali troops and invaded the Zanzibar island near Tanzania and he captured the Islands, slaughtered all the Arabic troops and freed the Bantu slaves and through his military dominance, Sultan Yusuf managed to exact tribute from the Omani king in the coastal town of Lamu.
:whoo:
It's not clear in which year this occurred. Sultan Ahmed Yusuf reigned from 1848 to 1878 and Zanzibar was Oman's capital from 1840 to 1861. So it's possible that it was their capital when they were conquered.

Sultan Ahmed Yusuf suddenly became an SJW abroad even though he kept slaves at home.
:siilaanyolaugh:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
You left out the best part.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Yusuf_(Gobroon)

:whoo:
It's not clear in which year this occurred. Sultan Ahmed Yusuf reigned from 1848 to 1878 and Zanzibar was Oman's capital from 1840 to 1861. So it's possible that it was their capital when they were conquered.

Sultan Ahmed Yusuf suddenly became an SJW abroad even though he kept slaves at home.
:siilaanyolaugh:

He's a hypocrite but a badass too is what I love about him. I wish he was around, he would've slaughtered Somalis that bum-lick Arabs.

That's another pride for Somalis over Arabs. Why isn't he known even though he was the most powerful king in East Africa that time?

He ####ing slaughtered Arabs. You might call me crazy but thats an accomplishment and a W for Somalis.

There should be a statue built for him in Afgooye. He's a Somali hero in my opinion.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
He's a hypocrite but a badass too is what I love about him. I wish he was around, he would've slaughtered Somalis that bum-lick Arabs.

That's another pride for Somalis over Arabs. Why isn't he known even though he was the most powerful king in East Africa that time?

He ####ing slaughtered Arabs. You might call me crazy but thats an accomplishment and a W for Somalis.

There should be a statue built for him in Afgooye. He's a Somali hero in my opinion.
It's because he's Raxanweyn and for some reason they lack a voice online. I know their population is very large but I honestly have never seen them advance their qabiil's agenda online, which is disappointing because I learn a lot about other clans politics/history when they do that. South West State is like the invisible FMS and Raxanweyn the invisible clan.
:francis:
Sultan Ahmed Yusuf definitely deserves a statue though, certainly more than the Sayyid imo.

VIP
I actually found the original source. The Ethiopian wasteman editted Wikipedia because he couldn't accept that major L. Menelik actually sent 15 thousand forces, not 11 thousand lol.

"The British, Italians, and Ethiopians partitioned Greater Somalia into spheres of influence, cutting into the previous nomadic grazing system and Somali civilizational network that connected port cities with those of the interior. The Ethiopian Emperor Menelik's Somali expedition, consisting of an army of 15,000 men, made a deep push into the vicinity of Luuq in Somalia. However, his troops were soundly defeated by the Sultanate of the Geledi, with only 200 soldiers returning alive and at the same time his survived soldiers were heavily traumatized. The Ethiopians subsequently refrained from further expeditions into the interior of Somalia but continued to attack the people in the Ogaden by plundering the nomads of their livestock numbering in the hundreds of thousands."

Source: Divine madness: Moḥammed ʻAbdulle Ḥassan (1856-1920) page 69.

@Crow @Shaolin23 I was wrong, it was actually 14,800 that got bodied in one battle.
:damn::deadosama:

Cool. And i need sources on cushites halting the bantu expansion into the horn if you have any

VIP
It's because he's Raxanweyn and for some reason they lack a voice online. I know their population is very large but I honestly have never seen them advance their qabiil's agenda online, which is disappointing because I learn a lot about other clans politics/history when they do that. South West State is like the invisible FMS and Raxanweyn the invisible clan.
Sultan Ahmed Yusuf definitely deserves a statue though, certainly more than the Sayyid imo.

They're low confidence ppl. They come online and claim other qabils

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
They're low confidence ppl. They come online and claim other qabils

Believe me, Rahanweyn are proud being Rahanweyn. The problem is the Somali diaspora who are Rahanweyn are very small compared to other Somalis and that is the truth. As @Crow said, they lack a voice in Somalia and their history is not mentioned often even though it's fucking amazing.

Our forefathers saved us countless times from the invasion of the abyssinians. When we meet our Muslim forefathers in the barzakh(the barrier between the physical and spiritual worlds) they would disparage us if we tell them of our current situation.:kanyehmm:

Who stopped the bantu expansion into the horn and where can i read up on it?

@Factz mr history soo gal
There wasnt a war with bantus,they were moving into our lands,bantus had no means of fighting somalis,somalis considered them inferior and just raided and inslaved most of them,some were castrated the women their siil was sworn shut and sold for high prices as virgin slave sick but it happened,somalis married oromo slave but never bantus
If you want source wikipedia is a good intro from there you can find sources mentioned in the same page
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Somalia

The colonial powers stopped Ethiopia at what is now the Somali-Ethiopian border.

While in earlier times there were tremendous battles that won Somali independence from the Habesh empire, the modern state of Ethiopia armed as it was with modern weapons and mass mobilization tactics would have easily conquered Somalia like it did everyone else at the turn of the 20th century, and tried to do so but Italian and British armies dissuaded them from doing so and a number of treaties froze the border where it currently lies.

The technological difference between what turn of the century Somali clans were armed and equipped with compared to modern firearms (Ethiopia had machine guns for instance) was simply too overwhelming and Somalis at the time were too divided and had no access to modern weapons.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
The colonial powers stopped Ethiopia at what is now the Somali-Ethiopian border.

While in earlier times there were tremendous battles that won Somali independence from the Habesh empire, the modern state of Ethiopia armed as it was with modern weapons and mass mobilization tactics would have easily conquered Somalia like it did everyone else at the turn of the 20th century, and tried to do so but Italian and British armies dissuaded them from doing so and a number of treaties froze the border where it currently lies.

The technological difference between what turn of the century Somali clans were armed and equipped with compared to modern firearms (Ethiopia had machine guns for instance) was simply too overwhelming and Somalis at the time were too divided and had no access to modern weapons.
Ethiopia only had "modern weapons" during the italian invasion of the Tigray region in the late 19th century. After that war, they started fighting with spears and swords again.

Tukraq

VIP
Actually very mystic to think about, when out numbers back then didnt exceed 2 million, we didnt have a united state but multiple reers who even were enemies, which again is very mystic that we didnt get conquered, when we made it so easy?
Oromos were united, much much larger in numbers, and still ended up getting swallowed, same with afars.
We were (and still are) the people who in comparison to our numbers owned the most land.
:salute:
physical differences these guy are like 5'4 to5'6 and are comparable sizes to habesha's, compare that to the several geeljires I see walking around at 6'9 ofcourse they won't be conquered, just look at how they massively outnumbered Eritrea(who are a bit taller) and still lost:siilaanyolaugh: they also have a much nicer kinder mentality while somalis are more cutthroat brave(big balls) and can't be easily tricked like calm soft unassuming habeshas

Last edited:
It's because there's not a lot if us in the west. We are tiny here compared to daarod and hawiye. There's not many outside somalia and the ones that are mainly live in the middle east.

Actually very mystic to think about, when out numbers back then didnt exceed 2 million, we didnt have a united state but multiple reers who even were enemies, which again is very mystic that we didnt get conquered, when we made it so easy?
Oromos were united, much much larger in numbers, and still ended up getting swallowed, same with afars.
We were (and still are) the people who in comparison to our numbers owned the most land.
:salute:

Oromos were not united. Every clan had their own land and Abba Gada(leader). They competed against one another and fought many wars with the habesha. Most of the reason why Somalis didn’t really get targeted was because the buffer zone in between which are the Oromos. They couldn’t push further east from the Oromos. The only reason galbeed is under their rule is because the British rewarded them, they didn’t fight and conquer the land.

We’re pretty much the shield blocking the habesh towards the Somali lands.

Ethiopians attempted to expand in southern Somalia but the Geledi Sultanate silently defeated them in the battle of Luuq. Dervish State repelled them multiple times. A powerful Somali commander of Hiraab Imamate called Sheikh Hassan Barsane completely destroyed all of the Ethiopian forces in the battle of Ferfer. So many Ethiopian attempts failed the Somalis from being absorbed by Ethiopia.

One historical fact I learned is if the Ottoman Empire and the German Empire won WW1. Dervish State would've been ruling all Somali territories and possibly ruled all of the historical Somali territories by now.

I mean the reason why Ethiopia controls the Somali region is because the British gave them.
I don't know why some somalis support the arabs! they betrayed the ottomans who allied with us and provided us support.

:snoop:

Somalis used to be very proud back in the day. We're unfortunate to live in the worse times as Somalis with our so called leaders acting as vessels to amxaar and bantus :francis:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Oromos were not united. Every clan had their own land and Abba Gada(leader). They competed against one another and fought many wars with the habesha. Most of the reason why Somalis didn’t really get targeted was because the buffer zone in between which are the Oromos. They couldn’t push further east from the Oromos. The only reason galbeed is under their rule is because the British rewarded them, they didn’t fight and conquer the land.

We’re pretty much the shield blocking the habesh towards the Somali lands.

Absolute BS. Oromos were conquered and used as foot soldiers and they still failed to conquer Somali Sultanates. Don't even dare take our credit. There were Oromo generals working with the Habesha to conquer Somali territories and Somalis managed to beat a union between Habesha and Oromo.
:drakekidding:

Last edited:
Absolute BS. Oromos were conquered and used as foot soldiers and they still failed to conquer Somali Sultanates. Don't even dare take our credit. There were Oromo generals working with the Habesha to conquer Somali territories and Somalis managed to beat a union between Habesha and Oromo.
:drakekidding:

Where is the BS? Oromos were not United. We competed against eachother clanwise for better land, and fought the habesha.

I’m not talking about anything prior to the 16th century. This was afterwards. The Oromos fought the habesha, many central and western Oromos joined the habesha, and fought other Oromos. So screw off and read what I said and read history.

Who the hell is trying to take credit of your history? What did I state was “Somali hidtory”?

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Where is the BS? Oromos were not United. We competed against eachother clanwise for better land, and fought the habesha.

I’m not talking about anything prior to the 16th century. This was afterwards. The Oromos fought the habesha, many central and western Oromos joined the habesha, and fought other Oromos. So screw off and read what I said and read history.

Who the hell is trying to take credit of your history? What did I state was “Somali hidtory”?

You're forgetting Oromos were one of the founders of Ethiopia and they heavily contributed to the Ethiopian expansion and wars against the Italians? We're talking about a time when you was united with them and that's when you decided to fight against a divided Somali peninsula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending