Why are mainland Somalis so opposed to working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Livestock herding doesn't require that much hard work so you can't blame us for being the way we are atm.

Same reason I can't see Somalis working 10 hour shifts in factories like the Asians did to develop their country.

We need to come up with a new development strategy that works with us otherwise you'll just end up beating a dead camel.

More like 12-16 hour days. That's what it took for Germans/Japs to rebuild their country. It's inconceivable that individuals in those developed countries have 100x the work ethic of Somalis.

Because Somali culture doesn't promote hard work or work for that matter. Somalis, like xoolo, were duur ku jir just 60 years ago. It's all they know. They look down on handymen and people who farm, by doing that, they eliminate like 80% of jobs, so what the f*ck by qabanayaan? Niggas are called xamaali, in an insulting fashion, if they pave roads or build a house or pick up a fucking musmaar.

You are spot on, and its fucking infuriating. I remember a poster here who was lamenting that when he went Somalia, even construction workers refused to wear boots and working clothes because they didn't want to be ridiculed by others, they literally showed up to work wearing dress shoes and a blazer.

I'm telling you, the reason is the influx of xawala money in the country. They scoff at $10 a day (which is actually extremely high for a poor country like somalia) because their relatives overseas sends a few hundred a month.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
I don't think Somalia ever reached the point where jobs were available for majority of the population, they were few and far between before the destruction of the country. I don't think any decent person would turn down a good paying, inshallah if I ever get blessed, I want to employ as many people as possible specially women in Somalia. :)

I don't think Somalia ever reached the point where jobs were available for majority of the population, they were few and far between before the destruction of the country. I don't think any decent person would turn down a good paying, inshallah if I ever get blessed, I want to employ as many people as possible specially women in Somalia. :)

That doesn't make sense. Jobs do not magically become "available". At the end of the day its people that have to create jobs. Furthermore, an economy that is as undeveloped as Somalia, there must be an unlimited amount of work that's available. How does it make sense that more than 60% of Somalia agriculture and food is imported??? No one wants to work the fields. Why doesn't Kenya import their food? The problem is there is no desire to work, which is a problem on a different level.

Last edited:

World

VIP
That doesn't make sense. Jobs do not magically become "available". At the end of the day its people that have to create jobs. Furthermore, an economy that is as undeveloped as Somalia, there must be an unlimited amount of work that's available. How does it make sense that more than 60% of Somalia agriculture and food is imported??? No one wants to work the fields. Why doesn't Kenya import their food? The problem is there is no desire to work, which is a problem on a different level.
Somalia doesn’t have enough arable land and water resources to be self-sufficient, which is why so much of our food is imported, not because people don’t want to “work the fields”.

Somalia doesn’t have enough arable land and water resources to be self-sufficient, which is why so much of our food is imported, not because people don’t want to “work the fields”.

You cannot be serious with this comment???

The arable land Somalia has in the south, and the far north, is orders of magnitude more than what is necessary to be self sustaining. We could easily be food exporter, as we once were. Furthermore, our current utilization of fertile land is a fraction of whats available.

Lastly, think about this, if Israel which has almost no arable land at all, is a major food exporter, what makes you think Somalia has already exceeded its capacity???

This is NOT a problem of lack of land resources, its a problem of utilisation, work ethic and endeavour.

World

VIP
You cannot be serious with this comment???

The arable land Somalia has in the south, and the north, is multiple times what is necessary to feed the nation. We could easily be food exporter. Furthermore, our current utilization of fertile land is a fraction of whats available.

Lastly, think about this, if Israel which has almost no arable land at all, is a major food exporter, what makes you think Somalia has already exceeded its capacity???

This is NOT a problem of lack of land resources, its a problem of utilisation, work ethic and endeavour.
You gonna bring statistics or just talk more jibberish about how Israel has no arable land(which is absolutely false)?

Anyway, do you really need stats for that??? Israel is a friggin tiny desert. You don't a statistical analysis to determine it lacks arable land. The thing with Israel is, amazingly despite not having fertile soil and natural arable land...they CREATES arable land. They grow crops on the desert. They are the world leaders in agricultural technology, do your own research on that. But this is completely beside the point.

World

VIP
800px-Israel_map_of_K%C3%B6ppen_climate_classification.svg.png

The majority of Israel has Mediterranean climate, and if you include the West Bank:

“The climate in the West Bank is mostly Mediterranean, slightly cooler at elevated areas compared with the shoreline, west to the area.“

And the Syrian territory known as Golis Heights annexed by Israel:

“In addition to its strategic military importance, the Golan Heights is an important water resource, especially at the higher elevations, which are snow-covered in the winter and help sustain baseflow for rivers and springs during the dry season. The heights receive significantly more precipitation than the surrounding, lower-elevation areas. The occupied sector of the Golan Heights provides or controls a substantial portion of the water in the Jordan River watershed, which in turn provides a portion of Israel's water supply. The Golan Heights supply 15% of Israel's water.”

It’s a myth that Israel is turning desert into farming land. Most of Israel has always been major agricultural zones.

^Bro, fucking forget Israel! I'll get to that later, but you completely sidetracked the convo.

Your claim that Somalia can't feed itself because it lacks arable land is completely ludicrous. Talk about that !

World

VIP
^Bro, fucking forget Israel! I'll get to that later, but you completely sidetracked the convo.

Your claim that Somalia can't feed itself because it lacks arable land is completely ludicrous. Talk about that !
The irrigation potential of Southern Somalia is not more than 1 million hectares which isn’t enough to be self sufficient in anything! That’s not even including the fact that the Juba river is shared with Kenya/Ethiopia and the Shabelle river is shared with Ethiopia. The latter already has plans to build more dams on both the rivers, and Somalia doesn’t have a water agreement with them. And that 1M figure isn’t even including evaporation rates which are insanely high (1500mm+ a year), or the fact that Somalis on the Ethiopian side of the border are picking up farming and will be using the rivers. As for rainfed agriculture, it’s unreliable due to climate change. Look at the hundreds of thousands of displaced rahanweyn farmers.

I say give it 30 more years, the diaspora that are sending money are brought up in the Motherland. When they pass the torch to the next generation there is no more free money. No way some "say wallahi" kid that will put his parents in retirement home will send money to relatives back home :manny::manny:

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP

Hey showme7,

I think u are unfairly looking at things with a western lenses sxb. Somalia never had the opportunity to mature before all progress was unfortunately destroyed. We never had industrial revolution to have factory jobs widely available for the mass and the agriculture industry was at its full potential to the point banana was a major export along with livestock.

To say that people back home were/are lazy, nothing could be further from the truth. Majority of the land is arid, resource are scarce. Yet the nomadic community constantly traveled hundreds of miles by foot for greener pasture with all their camels and goats. My point is the desire to provide and work is there, but opportunity to land a decent paying job in the 70's and 80's was hard unless you knew somebody that knew somebody (clan nepotism), and even then one person in the work force basically supported the entire extended family. Please try to understand why things are the way they are, there's a history behind the current predicament of our people and country.

I believe it's up to us to be an example for our people, and not judge them because the only difference is a plane ticket and education :)

mrlog

VIP
You gonna bring statistics or just talk more jibberish about how Israel has no arable land(which is absolutely false)?

Abti I got cousins in Xaafuun who expect us to send them 400 bucks a month.
They don't pay rent nor do they have toddlers.
They can easily fish and live off of that comfortably.
But their response was Kaluunka waa Gaajo food.
:faysalwtf:
wtf I go bargain hunting at Walmart and TJ-Maxx.

World

VIP
Abti I got cousins in Xaafuun who expect us to send them 400 bucks a month.
They don't pay rent nor do they have toddlers.
They can easily fish and live off of that comfortably.
But their response was Kaluunka waa Gaajo food.
:faysalwtf:
wtf I go bargain hunting at Walmart and TJ-Maxx.
I’d have believed you if you said anywhere else in Somalia other than Bari or Sanaag.

Kulaha Reer Bari don’t eat fish. They’re tuna heads. :pachah1:

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
More like 12-16 hour days. That's what it took for Germans/Japs to rebuild their country. It's inconceivable that individuals in those developed countries have 100x the work ethic of Somalis.

They don't but it doesn't all come down to work ethic.

Asians are extremely good at following a hierarchical seniority structure that helps with productivity.

Westerners had a millennium old social class structure that motivated everyone to move up the ladder as well.

Somalis are less likely to abide by the same structure (i.e take orders from anyone).

Also the concept of social mobility didn't exist with us apart from who owned the most livestock (which I'm assuming had a limit unless you wanted everyone's evil eye on you)

We just aren't made out to repeat the same route the Asians or the westerners took and have to pave our own road towards development.

Hopefully it's not relying on natural resources either since that would just delay the human resources development we really need.

Status
Not open for further replies.