Why Arabic is superior to Somali (from an Islamic perspective)

This is a response to a large thread made earlier today in which some users made the argument that just because the Quran was revealed in Arabic doesn't mean Arabic is a superior language to Somali, this couldn't be further from the truth. The Arabic language is the greatest language.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said: "The Arabic language is the symbol of Islam and its people." Not only is Arabic the language of Islam and Muslims, it is also the language of paradise.
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Similarly, Abu Ja’far Muhammad ibn ‘Abd-Allaah al-Haafiz al-Koofi, who is known as Mateen, told us: al-‘Ala’ ibn ‘Amr al-Hanafi told us: Yahya ibn Zayd al-Ash’ari told us: Ibn Jurayj told us, from Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Love the Arabs for three reasons: because I am an Arab, the Qur’aan is Arabic, and the language of the people of Paradise is Arabic.”

This hadith is hassan according to Al-Haafiz al-Salafi. Somali is a great language and an offshoot of Arabic in itself but there is no language in the world which compares to fus7a Arabic

Last edited:
Anyone who disagrees with this I honestly question their Islam. Ethno nationalism is a sick disease. Can you pray in Somali? Was the quran revealed in af waqooyi? Was the nabi raxanweyne? Ask yourselves these questions

mohamedismail

Reewin. Lixda Gobol ee Maayland unii leh!
There is no doubt about this. Yes I love the somali language (Af Maay) but I will admit that Arabic is the superior language as it is the language of the deen. Anyone who argues with this is either ignorant of the basics of the deen or is just arrogant nationalist.

There is no doubt about this. Yes I love the somali language (Af Maay) but I will admit that Arabic is the superior language as it is the language of the deen. Anyone who argues with this is either ignorant of the basics of the deen or is just arrogant nationalist.
Wallah bro people in this forum like @Qeelbax are ignorant to these aspects of the deen. Its ok to not always be #1

Gacmeey

Madaxweynaha Qurbo Joogta 🇸🇴
We can recognise the goodness and the importance and the rank of the Arabic language without meaning that we stop speaking and being proud of our own Somali language. As far as I am concerned, both are my languages ; the Somali language because I am Somali and the Arabic language because I am Muslim.

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
My whole argument is how do you know Allah chose to reveal it in Arabic because it was the best language. I don’t want your opinion i need a source of authoritative information which says Allah revealed the Quran in Arabic because it is the best preferably from Quran or Hadith.

Just because Arabic is the lingua franca of paradise doesn’t equate it’s superiority. Obviously it will be the language we have in common because the Quran was revealed in Arabic.

If you cant provide that then its just personal opinion.

Last edited:

Internet Nomad

VIP
Do you also have such high regard for hebrew? God revealed the torah in Hebrew.

Just because Arabic is the lingua franca of paradise doesn’t equate it’s superiority. Obviously it will be the language we have in common because the Quran was revealed in Arabic.
the hadeeth isn't even authentic but if it was it would be proof Arabic is superior just by the fact paradise is perfection and you will only speak perfection in paradise
but the hadeeth is weak so u can't use it as evidence

My whole argument is how do you know Allah chose to reveal it in Arabic because it was the best language
Hypothetical. There is 3 languages, 1 is bad, one is medium, and 1 is the best language(most eloquent most expressive best ways of expressing ideas)

Are you telling me Allah would choose his final Prophet from the lineage of the best Prophets which he ordered to move to a country where they will speak that language and reveal his final and best book which is a miracle for all mankind until the end of time and pure perfection, in the worst language out of the 3 languages? or even the medium language?

when the best language is right there, and Allah chooses not to reveal the Quran in the best language? does that make any sense

What about Aramaic? Do you think its superior to Somali. Its the language that Allah revealed the injeel in.
Yes I regard it as a superior language.
when compared to Somali, I am not knowledgeable in Somali history, if there is any chance Allah sent a revelation in Soomali or a language close to Soomali, I would regard Somali as a superior language, but if not, Aramaic is better than Somali, same with hebrew

Internet Nomad

VIP
Hypothetical. There is 3 languages, 1 is bad, one is medium, and 1 is the best language(most eloquent most expressive best ways of expressing ideas)

Are you telling me Allah would choose his final Prophet from the lineage of the best Prophets which he ordered to move to a country where they will speak that language and reveal his final and best book which is a miracle for all mankind until the end of time and pure perfection, in the worst language out of the 3 languages? or even the medium language?

when the best language is right there, and Allah chooses not to reveal the Quran in the best language? does that make any sense
Im not saying Arabic is not a great language. It is a phenomenal language i don’t understand how people can almost attribute perfection to language which can alway change. Which dialects better than other? What time period arabic we talking about? For example english speakers today and 50 years ago sound different. Not much time when your thinking about human history but things change.

Last edited:

Internet Nomad

VIP
Yes I regard it as a superior language.
when compared to Somali, I am not knowledgeable in Somali history, if there is any chance Allah sent a revelation in Soomali or a language close to Soomali, I would regard Somali as a superior language, but if not, Aramaic is better than Somali, same with hebrew
Imo we dont really know enough to make final judgements.

وَمَا أَرْسَلْنَا مِن رَّسُولٍ إِلَّا بِلِسَانِ قَوْمِهِ لِيُبَيِّنَ لَهُمْ
And We have not sent any messenger except in the language of his people, that he may explain matters to them. (14:4)

I personally think you guys are looking too into it.

Im not saying Arabic is a great language. It is a phenomenal language i don’t understand how people can almost attribute perfection to language which can alway change. Which dialects better than other? What time period arabic we talking about? For example english speakers today and 50 years ago sound different. Not much time when your thinking about human history but things change.
I literally stated classical Arabic, the one the Quran was revealed in, in that time period, the one the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasalam and the sahaba talked.

Internet Nomad

VIP
I literally stated classical Arabic, the one the Quran was revealed in, in that time period, the one the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasalam and the sahaba talked.
Classical Arabic in that pacific region on that pacific time frame was perfect and anything before that and after that was not perfect.

Do you seriously believe that?

Imo we dont really know enough to make final judgements.

I personally think you guys are looking too into it.
I have my view you guys have yours.

But idrus and the other guys are overly emotional about this topic, they are claiming I am somehow trying to disregard the Soomali language which I have never said, my view is a religious one, I have never even engaged in an ana arab thread let alone made one, I have never even bootyclapped for Arabs, but these guys have so much trauma from ana arabs they are projecting on me

my view, is simple, and if you ask anyone, or look in the books of arabic of the scholars, you wil see they all say that arabic is the most eloquent language, and most of these scholars and not Arab, because Allah chose the last and final best book for Arabic.
Try to emulate something like the Quran in English you will ail miserably, there is no comparison between different languages

Classical Arabic in that pacific region on that pacific time frame was perfect and anything before that and after that was not perfect.

Do you seriously believe that?
Depending on how much the language developed yes/no
during that time yes it was perfect, depending on how different the arabic spoken before was, but from what I know, the Arabic was not much different before, there are small differences in languages changes is common words, Im not talking abotu those
big differences in the language like modern arabic would not be perfect, but classical arabic that was spoken around the time of the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasalam was perfect, Idk how much it changed from 300 years prior, so I can't comment. as long as the language is mainly the same yes its perfect, major changes would take it out of that.

Internet Nomad

VIP
the scholars, you wil see they all say that arabic is the most eloquent language
They are biased. If I spent my life’s work religiously studying Japanese you bet i would think Japanese is the best language in the world.
because Allah chose the last and final best book for Arabic.
There is leap in justification

point A: Allah revealed the Quran in Arabic
Justification:Therefore
Point B: Arabic is the best language

I need more evidence for that justification.

Try to emulate something like the Quran in English you will ail miserably, there is no comparison between different languages
You cannot emulate the Quran because its gods words not because its Arabic. Don’t attribute divinity to Arabic.

Trending

Latest posts