When did Somali people become an ethnicity?

Does anyone know where I can read this

Main question: how many years ago did Somali people become an ethnicity

Some other questions I have
1.when did we branch out from other Cushitics like oromos and afar ?

2.which ethnicity were we 4500 years ago when the land of punt was a thing ?

3.how many years did we live in the horn ?

4.I know Somalis originated in Northern Somalia when we expanded south who lived here and how many years did it take us to cover Somaliweyn fully ?

5. I heard we weren’t called Somalis till the Middle Ages when habesha people started calling us Somali what if that’s true what were we called before that

4.I know Somalis originated in Northern Somalia when we expanded south who lived here and how many years did it take us to cover Somaliweyn fully ?

5. I heard we weren’t called Somalis till the Middle Ages when habesha people started calling us Somali what if that’s true what were we called before that
I am too lazy!

@The alchemist
@Aurelian
@World

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
1. Aproximately 2700 years ago
2. Proto Cushetic
3. 2000 years
4. There is no evidence for this,
5. Nope, we were always called somalis

You can't really answer this one so easily ngl. The best we can really comment on are archaeological cultures in the region at the time and even then, you'd need to have evidence that there is enough distinction between archaeological cultures either in the material or physical sense or both to be able to even identify them as ethnic groups. I'm sure there's some stuff on the archaeological cultures of ancient Somalia you can read through.

Hartis and other Somali clans are mentioned in the Futuh Al Habasha as stand alone clans and as belongings to the Somali ethnicity.

When you add that to the Samale and Sab Myths, existing across a wide across swathe of territory as far Djibouti to Baydhabo to Northern Kenya, you would have hypothesis a Somali iidentity at least predates Islam.

Add to this, small groups like some Baiso and Rendille still remember at time when they lived with and were relatives of Somalia , it just destroys any notion that a Somali was created in the modern era.

The other big evidence is the Somali pre Islamic burial systems and some other Somali Cushitic camel customs which are different from those of the neighbouring Oromos.

Hartis and other Somali clans are mentioned in the Futuh Al Habasha as stand alone clans and as belongings to the Somali ethnicity.

When you add that to the Samale and Sab Myths, existing across a wide across swathe of territory as far Djibouti to Baydhabo to Northern Kenya, you would have hypothesis a Somali iidentity at least predates Islam.

Add to this, small groups like some Baiso and Rendille still remember at time when they lived with and were relatives of Somalia , it just destroys any notion that a Somali was created in the modern era.

The other big evidence is the Somali pre Islamic burial systems and some other Somali Cushitic camel customs which are different from those of the neighbouring Oromos.
The idea of the Somali identity being created in the modern era is an absolute joke. Our Language, culture and heritage is ancient. What’s modern is the concept of nationhood and unfortunately, many people can’t seem to understand the difference between ethnicity and nationhood. The concept of Djibouti, Somaliland and Somalia are simply modern concepts. Our ancestors did not belong to these countries, but they belonged to their clans and spoke af Somali and practiced Somali culture.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP

Some say our language established itself with a set of grammar around 2000 years ago.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP

4500 years ago we were still the same lowland Cushite group as oromo and Afar.

Somali existed for over a millenia. It's just the name was first recorded in an Ethiopian emperors poem in the 14th century. However we recently found even older mention of Somalis in Chinese texts.

Trending

Latest posts