When and how did Oromos become muslim ?

Hamzza

VIP
It depends on the region. There are several regions where Oromo became Muslims. In Arsi and Bale this took place in the late 19th century. We should not forget that Arsi and the Harar Plateau had been Islamic before and pockets of Muslims had survived the Oromo migration. In the West this also happened in the second part of the 19th century, I think. In Wollo which had a stronger and older Islamic tradition this must have started in the 18th century.

Who converted them ? I heard that it was us Somalis who converted them to islam.

Somali and Arab Sheikhs from Benadir and the Ogaden converted Arsi and Bale Oromos.
As for Hararghe Oromos, the Egyptian government forcefully Islamized them during their brief occupation of Harar.

Last edited:

xLibaxsenderx

Hana deul
Theres a rich discussion behind that question actually. Islam was introduces into the horn of africa by some dozen sahabis one of which was ja'far bin abi talib cousin of the holy prophet radiallahu anh who escaped persecution by the quraysh clan of mecca.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Najashi

It depends on the region. There are several regions where Oromo became Muslims. In Arsi and Bale this took place in the late 19th century. We should not forget that Arsi and the Harar Plateau had been Islamic before and pockets of Muslims had survived the Oromo migration. In the West this also happened in the second part of the 19th century, I think. In Wollo which had a stronger and older Islamic tradition this must have started in the 18th century.

Somali and Arab Sheikhs from Benadir and the Ogaden converted Arsi and Bale Oromos.
As for Hararghe Oromos, the Egyptian government forcefully Islamized them during their brief occupation of Harar.
Ogaden probably converted the eastern arsi

Do you have proof for this?

seldiboy

Resident Eritrean | Ye's strongest soldier
Depends on the region. Ogaden Oromos probably were converted by Somalis. Give it another decade and Oromos won’t be majority Muslim anyway

Bro you were spot on about Wollo. There was a Muslim Oromo dynasty called the Yejju that controlled Wollo during the 18th century

Last edited:

Barni

⚠️ EPILEPTIC WARNING ⚠️
Depends on the region. Ogaden Oromos probably were converted by Somalis. Give it another decade and Oromos won’t be majority Muslim anyway
The oromos i have met were always christians genuinely was surprised to find out they were mainly muslims.

My theory.
thy fall in love with them tall ass geeljire and the woman’s fall in love them. Have kids with them and send the kids influence other oromos.