What's your favorite culture, or one you really admire?

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Some archeologist once found a theater mask of a Greek god in Xiis. They were truly the ‘Americans’ of their day.

Indeed. The ruler of the Eritrean coast (either the Aksumite King or a predecessor to the medieval Bahr Negash) in the first century CE even spoke Greek and was supposedly very familiar with Greek philosophy and culture. Truly remarkable for them to have that much of a cultural spread in a pre-telephone, pre-internet, pre-modern shipping and planes world.

‘Western Culture’ all came from the Greeks and Romans. I don’t think there’s another ethnic group as influential as them (the Jews are probably third).

The funniest thing for me is when they wrestled Greece from the Ottomans and had a dopamine rush from the idea of seeing their "white" Greek brothers and ended up finding some people who seemed more culturally and physically like Turks and Arabs than like them. The heartbreak...

“[Europeans] had these exalted ideas—‘We’re going to run into Agamemnon and Pericles’—and they were disappointed by the Greeks,” Greene said. “There’s Europe and then there’s Europe, and this wasn’t the right Europe.”

:drakelaugh:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
The Chinese and the Indians might have something to say about that.
People forget that during the era of the Gunpowder Empires and for a bit after as well, China and India were still the richest regions of the world in terms of output and were largely self sufficient with the west coveting their products far more than they cared for any of the west's.

People forget that during the era of the Gunpowder Empires and for a bit after as well, China and India were still the richest regions of the world in terms of output and were largely self sufficient with the west coveting their products more than they cared for the west's.
Even before then bro.

I gotta do some background reading to brush up but I think the Indus Civilisation preceded anything in Greece.

Greeks were influenced by the more advanced civilisations in the Eastern Med.

Human History is one of borrowing from each other.

One good thing to come out of Gaajo Europeans quest for spices from the East was the 'discovery' of the Americas. 'Good' is used subjectively.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Even before then bro.

I gotta do some background reading to brush up but I think the Indus Civilisation preceded anything in Greece.

Greeks were influenced by the more advanced civilisations in the Eastern Med.

Human History is one of borrowing from each other.

"Greek" civilization goes back to the Minoans who date comparably to the IVC and some of the oldest civilizations of the Middle-East. The Mycenaeans were descended from Minoan-related people who got some steppe Indo-European (10-15%) intermixed into them along with the language and mythology while using a variant of the Minoan script (Linear B) to write their language and owing the civilizational elements of their culture to such "pre-Greeks".

But the Minoans were basically Middle-Eastern. Most of their ancestry was Neolithic Anatolian (Turkey) with a lot of Iran-Chalcolithic and Y-DNA HGs like J1/J2. They were basically just a cultural extension of the ancient civilizations of the Middle East. And frankly so were their Indo-Europeanized successors. Cadaans make too much of all the "Europe" and "Asia" stuff the same way Hoteps make too much of how Egyptians differentiated themselves from Asiatics, Greeks and Berbers while being geographically "African" when anyone honest knows Ancient Egypt was just another in the long chain of ancient Middle Eastern cultures with their roots in the Fertile Crescent.

The same goes for the ancient Greeks, frankly. Fucking hell, there were about as many Greeks in "Asia" (Anatolia) as in "European" Greece and the people the Bronze Age and Classical Greeks mostly dealt with were ancient MENAs and not some ancient Briton, Scando or whatever else whom they saw as savages:

11823.png

^ That was the immediate "world" of the ancient Greeks. And it's not like their Indo-Europeanized-ness made them unique. Anatolia was Indo-Europeanized and admixed just as early and eventually so was Iran and parts of the Caucasus. All similarly grafted with 10-25% or so Middle to Late Bronze Age steppe on top of an overwhelmingly ancient MENA base. In a way, the Greeks are just a western reflection of their longtime Iranic rivals.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
if i didn’t live in scandinavia i would probably say scandinavia but it’s actually very boring…

japan
Austria

There are no boring places. Only boring people. I always roll my eyes when someone who lives in the UAE, even a more "boring" part of it like Abu Dhabi, says it's boring. "Nothing to do but malls, restaurants, hookah cafes and clubs, bro... so boring." So go hiking, nigga? You know groups organize pretty cool cross country hikes like every week? Or volunteer at an animal shelter, it's really fun and you meet nice people or volunteer in general or go to the beach or go bbq-ing and camping with friends in the desert or go to a gun and archery range or to all the other random tourist attractions if you have money or chill with friends and fam at their homes and watch stuff and play games or get a hobby like salsa dancing or some martial art. You can make a life anywhere, niyahow. I'm sure there's lots to do in bloody Scandinavia. Stop fapping and start looking.

There are no boring places. Only boring people. I always roll my eyes when someone who lives in the UAE, even a more "boring" part of it like Abu Dhabi, says it's boring. "Nothing to do but malls, restaurants, hookah cafes and clubs, bro... so boring." So go hiking, nigga? You know groups organize pretty cool cross country hikes like every week? Or volunteer at an animal shelter, it's really fun and you meet nice people or volunteer in general or go to the beach or go bbq-ing and camping with friends in the desert or go to a gun and archery range or to all the other random tourist attractions if you have money or chill with friends and fam at their homes and watch stuff and play games or get a hobby like salsa dancing or some martial art. You can make a life anywhere, niyahow. I'm sure there's lots to do in bloody Scandinavia. Stop fapping and start looking.
Nahhhhh he is right Sweden is boring AF and whats worst then the boredom is the rasism everywhere!

No matter if you born here they still hate you and will show it whe you go outside
If you spoke swedish you would know this sick reality but if you come here as a visiter you maybe wouldnt

‘Western Culture’ all came from the Greeks and Romans. I don’t think there’s another ethnic group as influential as them (the Jews are probably third).
That's incorrect. A common mistake many people make is they think the Romans & Greek city-states were Western Civilisations; it would be more accurate to view them as predecessors to the Western Civilisation that would come later.

Essentially, Western civilisation came after the fall of the Western Roman Empire and is a fusion of Latin/Roman institutions & Germanic culture/laws and Western European Christianity aka Catholicism. The Merovingian & Carolingian Empires were the origins of Western Civilisation.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts