What's the point of Somaliland?

People Should Be Asking What Has Somaliland That Somaliyeey Don't Have Except For Old Burial Sites And Cave Paintings

giphy.gif
We have industries and also Berbera port that was developed an enlarged and it will serve the region including Somalis in Somalia cuz livestock are exported from Berbera

That's stupid, what's going to stop every qabiil making their own country in the future? Can I claim Dirland soon? :pachah1:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The major northern clans finally revoked the union law in 1991 after CaliMahdi wing of USC dishonored the struggle of Caydiid/USC mujaahidiin and the agreement they had with SNM to reestablish government. It was the last straw in a series of Southern violations against the 1960 Somaaliland act of union

I’m 100% serious, I’m Dir so I’m technically a “somalilander” but the whole thing confuses me.

The Northern clans are Isaaq, DhulHante, Warsangali, and the 2 subclans of the Dir clan known as Samaroon and Ciisa

What province is you Dir subclan from GalMudug, KoonfurGalbeed, Migiurtinia, HiirShabeelle, or JubaLand

Somalis were not separate for thousands of years. Otherwise we would be completely different ethnicities and we’d have completely separate genetics. Their is no such thing as “Somali” nations. Somali is an ethnic group/country and being Arab is a culture, ethnic group and identity.

Where is our international relations theory guru @Periplus

We have ethnic nations/nationalism and identy. We also have civic nations/nationalism and identity. Thus the SomaliRepublic and/or Somaliland and/or Djibouti can be nations. At the same time the Somali ethnic nation can exist as an ethnic nation that crosses international borders

All Somalia needs is to fix its government and its leadership and all the investments will flood in. Trust me, if Somalia can do that then Somaliland will want to reunite :mjlol:

Thats the best way to actually promote reunification. Dont listen to southernJabartis complaining about JSL bringing JSL democracy to northernJabartis

So tht lie i think and same can be about isaaqs in the past being high tank in somali goverment and army
Some isaaqs realy oppressong non Isaaqs
To This day in North

Be specific when when you say Isaaq oppresses other clans

Try again South Somalia isnt tribelist Darood hawiye and other somali tribes rule over south somalia any somali tribes can rule as long they are Somali

Its based on a 4.5 formula. This 4.5 system actually underrepresents the Haawiye clan of ex Somaalia. Under democratic system where the majority/plurality clan wins, there should never be a Southern president who is not from the Haawiye clan.

It doesnt bode well for stability of the ex SomaaliaItaliana that the majority/plurality clan of Haawiye is being undermined by a minority of their leaders who will work to underrepresent them in a govenrment that only controls/taxes Haawiye territories

If south somalia was tribelist Darood leader wouldnt have ruled south somalia but only hawiye but that isnt the case

Thats exactly why Haawiye should politically lynch traitors like CaliGeeddi or any other Haawiye who accepts that majority/plurality clan being underrepresented in a government that only controls Haawiye land

@Sloane Ranger how do you like that Haawiye get fewer seats than they deserve and only they get taxed

The fact that a few Haawiye leaders undermined their own clan has been fueling the instability in the South ever since Haawiye leader CaliGeeddi worked with the FGS presidency of CabdillahiYuusuf the MJ warlord who brought TPLF troops to attack Haawiye civilians in Muqdisho

Last edited:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Okay, have not fully read the thread but let me say this.

No entity in the world qualified as a nation-state before 1700 approx, meaning Mongolia cannot claim nations it has conquered and even Israel's claim to the ME is the untenable.

For post-colonial nations, the story is markedly different. Since barely any nation in Africa qualified as a nation-state before colonisation, whether there was ever a united Somalia is irrelevant as even if there was, it would not be a state by the modern definition.

That is why the AU and European colonial powers, have decided that colonial borders should generally be the markers of modern African nation-states. Somalia is an anomaly, as both Somaliland and Italian Somaliland were almost entirely carbon copy nations with the same religion, ethnicity, language, culture. Furthermore, both colonies were together for approximately 10 years (1940-1950) and were split up with the intention of reuniting them in 1960.

Now, one would ask why Djibouti is not considered. This is primarily due to two reasons, Djibouti is a mixed country of Somali, Afar and Arabs, with a distinct enough culture. Furthermore, Djibouti, compared to the Somali populations in Ethiopia, Kenya, Italian Somaliland and Somaliland was relatively isolated. All the aforementioned colonies were together at one point. This in itself is a weak case, therefore, Djibouti was given a choice to join Somalia and the French intervened to make sure it never happened. That closes that chapter.

Another important thing to state is that international governance is not fair and never has been. It was and still is in the best interest of the IC, African Union and whoever else, to have Somalia and Somaliland join. The interest of Somalis never matters, that is why Ogaden is with Ethiopia despite being a weak argument.

As I said in another thread, the prevailing international opinion is that Somalia and Somaliland will negotiate after Somalia deals with its problems. In these talks, there will only be two acceptable answers, ictiraaf from Somalia to SL or SL rejoining. If not, then the answer will probably be made for us, which will harm the sovereignty of ethnic Somalis, regardless of where they are from.

Trending