What's the history on Taleex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taleh_Castle.jpg

I have always known about Taleex and it's history but I'm starting to question a lot things regarding it. The reason for this is because recently the Sphinx has been discovered to be a lot older than the claimed 4500 years old. The weathering around the Sphinx suggests it's 6000-12,000 years old. I say this because there's a lot of things we don't know about the ancient world and we as somalis know even less about our ancient past. This is why I have to questions everything regarding our history because a lot of it could be lies instilled in us by the powers at be. Anyways these are my questions.

1. Are there any Somali accounts that say that the Dervish built the fortress? In other words have Somalis attested that the fortress was built by the Dervish?

2. If those fortresses were built by the Dervish then why haven't we seen similar stone buildings in the areas that dervish dwelled?

I'm genuinely curious about this and i want to know more about this.

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic 🇸🇱]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
View attachment 63444

I have always known about Taleex and it's history but I'm starting to question a lot things regarding it. The reason for this is because recently the Sphinx has been discovered to be a lot older than the claimed 4500 years old. The weathering around the Sphinx suggests it's 6000-12,000 years old. I say this because there's a lot of things we don't know about the ancient world and we as somalis know even less about our ancient past. This is why I have to questions everything regarding our history because a lot of it could be lies instilled in us by the powers at be. Anyways these are my questions.

1. Are there any Somali accounts that say that the Dervish built the fortress? In other words have Somalis attested that the fortress was built by the Dervish?

2. If those fortresses were built by the Dervish then why haven't we seen similar stone buildings in the areas that dervish dwelled?

I'm genuinely curious about this and i want to know more about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taleh

"Taleh is home to several historic forts and structures dating from the 1900s and earlier. Of these, there are five forts erected by Mohammed Abdullah Hassan's former Dervish State in present-day Sool and Sanaag. Constructed between 1910 and 1915, most of the edifices are concentrated in the Sanaag region, including Jida Ali, Midhisho, Shimbir Bariis and Badhan. Taleh/Taleex is the largest of the structures. It was built around a collection of Dervish tombs, the earliest of which belong to Sultan Nur Ahmed Aman and Carro Seed Magan, the Dervish leader Hassan's mother. From 1910 to 1912, the Dervish constructed the main fort around the older tombs. They spent the next two years in the mountainous regions of Sanaag building three more smaller forts.[3]

1919–1920
See also: Somaliland campaign (1920)
In 1919–1920, the British bombarded the Sanaag forts, where most of the Dervish had operated since 1913. Having destroyed the structures and driven out Hassan's men to Taleh in 1920, they finally attacked the town, assisted by horsemen and Somali clan heads. The settlement was bombarded by the Royal Air Force on 4 February and taken days later, with the British having defeated the last pockets of Dervish resistance.[4]Among the casualties at Taleh were Ibrahim Buqul and Haji Sudi. The former was the commander of the Dervish at Taleh, and the latter was a long-standing member of the movement according to Douglas Jardin (1923) and Henry Rayne (1921). Another Dervish leader, Aw Yusuf Bare, one of the chief commanders of the fort, was captured alive and later executed by former Dervish Abdi Dhere, who had defected to the opposition in 1919. Hassan himself managed to escape to the Ogaden, where his Dervishes were later routed in a 1921 raid led by the clan leader Haji Warabe.[5]

Taleh forts
Although the term Taleh or Taleex is often used to describe the entire Dervish fort complex in the town, it more strictly applies to only one of the structures in a four-part compound. The latter complex includes Falat, Silsilad, Dar Ilaalo and Taleh.

“ The main fortress, Silsilat, is about 350 feet long by 300 feet broad. The two buildings next in importance are Dar llalo, the look-out tower, some 50 feet high, built on the top of a hillock close behind Silsilat, and Taleh (in a restricted sense) of similar height, built on lower ground to the east.[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dervish_state

"The Dervish state (Somali: Dawlada Daraawiish, Arabic: دولة الدراويش‎‎ Dawlāt ad-Darāwīsh) was an early 20th-century SomaliSunni Kingdom that was established by Mohammed Abdullah Hassan, a religious leader who gathered Somali soldiers from across the Horn of Africa and united them into a loyal army known as the Dervishes. This Dervish army enabled Hassan to carve out a powerful state through conquest of lands claimed by the Somali Sultans, the Ethiopians and the European powers. The Dervish State acquired renown in the Islamicand Western worlds due to its resistance against the European empires of Britain and Italy. The Dervish forces successfully repulsed the British Empire in four military expeditions, and forced it to retreat to the coastal region.[1] As a result of its fame in the Middle East and Europe, the Dervish State was recognized as an ally by the Ottoman Empire and the German Empire.[2][3] It also succeeded at outliving the Scramble for Africa, and remained throughout World War I the only independent Muslim power on the continent.[4] After a quarter of a century of holding the British at bay, the Dervishes were finally defeated in 1920."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts