• We should use more Somali names instead of Arabic

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Arabic names waa gob, Abdi should be Abdul

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

VixR

Veritas
Taking a dump on our cat’s name lol.

Abdiqani is a real name. Al-Qhani is one the 99 names of Allah. I’m surprised you didn’t know that. Who’s the jahil now?:yloezpe:

IstarZ

A mere finger can’t obscure the sun.
Warsame is an authentic Somali name. It’s a beautiful name. There is no such thing as Islamic names.

Warsame is an authentic Somali name. It’s a beautiful name. There is no such thing as Islamic names.

Abu Wahb al-Jushami reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Name yourselves with the names of the prophets. The most beloved names to Allah are Abdullah, the servant of Allah, and Abdur Rahman, the servant of the Merciful. The most truthful of them is Harith, the harvester of good, and Hamam, the brave one. The worst names are names of war and bitterness.”

Source: Sunan Abī Dāwūd

Btw about the thread...Abdi on it's own is so stupid. I have an uncle who is called Abdi Razzaq(slave of the provider), but he somehow just decides to go by Abdi. Most people who go by Abdi just decide to throw the second part of their name out the window.

Abdi+one of the 99 names of Allah is a beautiful name to give to your child and it will hold great meaning.

Last edited:

VixR

Veritas
Abu Wahb al-Jushami reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Name yourselves with the names of the prophets. The most beloved names to Allah are Abdullah, the servant of Allah, and Abdur Rahman, the servant of the Merciful. The most truthful of them is Harith, the harvester of good, and Hamam, the brave one. The worst names are names of war and bitterness.”

Btw about the thread...Abdi on it's own is so stupid. I have an uncle who is called Abdi Razzaq(slave of the provider), but he somehow just decides to go by Abdi. Most people who go by Abdi just decide to throw the second part of their name out the window.

Abdi+one of the 99 names of Allah is a beautiful name to give to your child and it will hold great meaning.
That’s strange. Hammam is the Arabic word for bathroom. That part of the Hadith as a naming suggestion did not age well...

IstarZ

A mere finger can’t obscure the sun.

They’re Arab names. A lot of these names existed pre-Islam and were used by the mushrikeen. A sound meaning is the only condition for choosing a name.

You’re right about the whole Abdi thing. It’s distasteful. What’s more distasteful is Somalis ditching perfectly good Somali names in favor of Arabic names because they mistakenly believe it’s more “Islamic.”

That’s strange. Hammam is the Arabic word for bathroom. That part of the Hadith as a naming suggestion did not age well...

English transliteration sometimes cause misunderstanding.

همام is the name mentioned in the hadith

حمام is the word for bathroom that you are confusing it with.

They’re Arab names. A lot of these names existed pre-Islam and were used by the mushrikeen. A sound meaning is the only condition for choosing a name.

You’re right about the whole Abdi thing. It’s distasteful. What’s more distasteful is Somalis ditching perfectly good Somali names in favor of Arabic names because they mistakenly believe it’s more “Islamic.”

Can you give me a decent list of Somali male names?

No rooble,jimcaale's please lol

Last edited:

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
Aren’t the names so obvious to you since you’re that deluded guy who thinks he’s an Arab? :drakewtf:
I'm still an Arab and not all Arabs are well versed in Islam my lovely sister. Plus saying Abdiqani is way different than Abdul-Ghanu and Andiwassa just sounds totally weird

Can you give me a decent list of Somali male names?

No rooble,jimcaale's please lol
Aar

Barkhad

Barre

Biixi

Bile

Bootaan

Bulxan

Buux

Cabsiiye

Cartan

Cawad

Cawil

Caynaanshe

Cige

Ciiltire

Deeq

Dhiblaawe

Diiriye

Dirir

Faahiye

Gabeyre

Gacayte

Gadiid

Galaal

Galayax

Galbeyte

Geeddi

Good

Guhaad

Guuleed

Guure

Habbane

Hanad

Haybe

Hirad

Hufane

Hurre

Kaahiye

Kadiye

Kayd

Keynaan

Kooshin

Kulmiye

Kunciil

Liibaan

Looyaan

Magan

Mahad

Mataan

Maygaag

Miigane

Mire

Mooge

Naaleeye

Nageeye

Obsiiye

Odawaa

Olol

Qamaan

Qorane

Samaale

Samakaab

Samatar

Sharmaarke

Shidane

Shire

Shirwac

Sooyaan

Sugaal

Suudi

Waaheen

Waasuge

Wardheere

Warfaa

Warsame

Wayrax

Weheliye

Xalane

Xandulle

Xoosh

:westbrookswag:
No Rooble or Jimcaale

Credit goes to @jugjugwacwac

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/database-of-somali-names-boys-girls.19180/

Aar

Barkhad

Barre

Biixi

Bile

Bootaan

Bulxan

Buux

Cabsiiye

Cartan

Cawad

Cawil

Caynaanshe

Cige

Ciiltire

Deeq

Dhiblaawe

Diiriye

Dirir

Faahiye

Gabeyre

Gacayte

Gadiid

Galaal

Galayax

Galbeyte

Geeddi

Good

Guhaad

Guuleed

Guure

Habbane

Hanad

Haybe

Hirad

Hufane

Hurre

Kaahiye

Kadiye

Kayd

Keynaan

Kooshin

Kulmiye

Kunciil

Liibaan

Looyaan

Magan

Mahad

Mataan

Maygaag

Miigane

Mire

Mooge

Naaleeye

Nageeye

Obsiiye

Odawaa

Olol

Qamaan

Qorane

Samaale

Samakaab

Samatar

Sharmaarke

Shidane

Shire

Shirwac

Sooyaan

Sugaal

Suudi

Waaheen

Waasuge

Wardheere

Warfaa

Warsame

Wayrax

Weheliye

Xalane

Xandulle

Xoosh

:westbrookswag:
No Rooble or Jimcaale

Credit goes to @jugjugwacwac

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/database-of-somali-names-boys-girls.19180/

Love wehliye.

Think I will def call one of my son's by that name in the future inshallah.

Love wehliye.

Think I will def call one of my son's by that name in the future inshallah.
InshaAllah if Allah (swt) blesses me with sons I'll give them my top 5 names from the list

Guuleed

Mahad

Sharmaake

Liibaan

Warsame

And 5 non Somali names

Maxamed

Ibrahim

Yusuf

Zakariye

Bukhari

:banderas: