What aspects of our language would you change or develop

What aspects of our language would you develop or change first?

• Add more loan words because the Somali language is lacking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We should abandon it for either English or Arabic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mimir

Caafimaad baby
What would you change or develop first?Would you broaden the vocabulary and make it able to function in the modern world or would you abandon it all together?

Personally,the first thing I'de change and remove is the unnecessary loan words.

Our language has a wide vocabulary and most of the loan words have a Somali counterpart. Examples are:

1. Albaab=Irid
2.Sharci=Heer
3.saxb= jaal/jaalle
4.akhi= walaal
5.laakin= ha'ahaatee, haseyeeshee
6.waqti/wakhti= ammin, xilli
7.Shacab=Dadwayne
8.Sharab=Cabitaan
9.Lahjad=Oraa

Last edited:
We should remove all the unnecessary loan words and change script, I vote for the khaddare script

udhr_kaddare.gif

SO Beautiful:banderas:

Somalis choose the strangest fights.

Imagine a Brit saying he wants to delatinize english and leave only anglo-saxon words. How many synonyms and variants exist in modern languages, yet guy wants to simplify somali to only "pure somali".

Mimir

Caafimaad baby

Imagine a Brit saying he wants to delatinize english and leave only anglo-saxon words. How many synonyms and variants exist in modern languages, yet guy wants to simplify somali to only "pure somali".
There's a difference saaxib. Most of the loan words used already have their Somali counterpart.

There's a difference saaxib. Most of the loan words used already have their Somali counterpart.
You misunderstand me, having multiple words for a single thing is better than a single word. It gives the language more flexibility and complexity.

There is a movement for linguistic purism for the English language(although they're a small minority).

It's called the Anglish movement, they want English to become more Germanic in terms of vocabulary e.g and remove the foreign words acquired over the last ~1000 years.

Last edited:
Every single language has loan words including English. Yes, we do need to replace loan words but I wouldn't say all loan words.

Cabitaan is still said by Somalis today. I think it's mostly said by people with xamar/southern dialects (since my parents speak the xamar dialect). Sharaab is mostly used in the north.

Mimir

Caafimaad baby
Every single language has loan words including English. Yes, we do need to replace loan words but I wouldn't say all loan words.

Cabitaan is still said by Somalis today. I think it's mostly said by people with xamar/southern dialects (since my parents speak the xamar dialect). Sharaab is mostly used in the north.
Yeah I get where you're coming from but in our case you can't even call them loan words because they already have a Somali equivalent. Loan words are supposed to be used if you don't have a term for a specific thing in your original language.

So you want our language to be known as a btec version of Arabic?
It's not language, it's script. I made a thread about this explaining it.

This is what I said and the links down below:

"Should we return back to writing in Wadaad script? It’s better than Osmaniya and all the other scripts invented during the colonial era. We been using Wadaad for hundreds of years, if were going to change a script than we got to change it to Wadaad."

"Its also beneficial because the Quran, Sahih Hadiths, Fiqh and academic Islamic material is written in Arabic. Think about it, we don’t need to learn how to read it since it is our national script. Why should we learn how to read Arabic when we have Wadaad as our main script? It’s killing 2 birds with one stone."

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...ficial-script-of-somalis-wadaad-script.68053/

Mimir

Caafimaad baby
It's not language, it's script. I made a thread about this explaining it.

This is what I said and the links down below:

"Should we return back to writing in Wadaad script? It’s better than Osmaniya and all the other scripts invented during the colonial era. We been using Wadaad for hundreds of years, if were going to change a script than we got to change it to Wadaad."

"Its also beneficial because the Quran, Sahih Hadiths, Fiqh and academic Islamic material is written in Arabic. Think about it, we don’t need to learn how to read it since it is our national script. Why should we learn how to read Arabic when we have Wadaad as our main script? It’s killing 2 birds with one stone."

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...ficial-script-of-somalis-wadaad-script.68053/
Most of the letters found in Arabic are also found in Somali so it shouldn't be that hard to learn it.

Trending

Latest posts