Should Arabic be the official script of Somalis? (Wadaad script)

Should we return back to writing in Wadaad script? It’s better than Osmaniya and all the other scripts invented during the colonial era. We been using Wadaad for hundreds of years, if were going to change a script than we got to change it to Wadaad.

Its also beneficial because the Quran, Sahih Hadiths, Fiqh and academic Islamic material is written in Arabic. Think about it, we don’t need to learn how to read it since it is our national script. Why should we learn how to read Arabic when we have Wadaad as our main script? It’s killing 2 birds with one stone.

Here’s some examples:

2F86A0FE-E1A3-4C8C-8305-2691782151F2.jpeg

I think this one is in Af maay

B894D82C-AA0C-44C0-A6FF-96C1E16876BC.jpeg

830C41D6-62CC-47D9-B1B0-B85FA7182445.jpeg

F79A15A4-209E-40C0-9504-80672915EC5F.jpeg

6A18EC70-9021-4B6F-B39D-20423A1C521A.jpeg

Sultan of Hobyo Sultanate Yusuf Ali signing agreements with the Italians.

Last edited:
Tbh Somalis, in general, are very religous and will learn how to read and write arabic anyway because of the quran and I dont know a sible Somali who cant about reading hadeeths and Quran. I wish osmanya script was used because it would be cool to be able to read a whole new script and looks aesthetic. But for convenience reasons maybe the Latin script is best

Tbh Somalis, in general, are very religous and will learn how to read and write arabic anyway because of the quran and I dont know a sible Somali who cant about reading hadeeths and Quran. I wish osmanya script was used because it would be cool to be able to read a whole new script and looks aesthetic. But for convenience reasons maybe the Latin script is best
Interesting, That’s if were going to change our national script hypothetically. My first option would be Arabic Wadaad script because of our rich history with it. If that hypothetically doesn’t work then Osmaniya would work fine. Osmaniya is a beautiful unique script, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

I think we should change to the Kaddare Script. It's way more beautiful and aesthetically pleasing

here is an ex.
kad-eg.gif

I think we should change to the Kaddare Script. It's way more beautiful and aesthetically pleasing

here is an ex.
kad-eg.gif
If were talking about Somali scripts, Osmaniya looks better if you ask me.

Also don’t you think Wadaad fits pretty well fits well with our historical heritage? Plus Arabic is the liturgical language of Islam. Learning how to read Wadaad script would make it easier for us to read anything in Arabic and memorize the Quran easier. Understanding it is different, you’ll have to learn that on your own.

If were talking about Somali scripts, Osmaniya looks better if you ask me.

Also don’t you think Wadaad fits pretty well fits well with our historical heritage? Plus Arabic is the liturgical language of Islam. Learning how to read Wadaad script would make it easier for us to read anything in Arabic and memorize the Quran easier. Understanding it is different, you’ll have to learn that on your own.

Isn't Kaddare Somali? I read on wiki that it is.

"The Kaddare alphabet is a writing script created to transcribe Somali, an Afro-Asiatic language."

-source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaddare_script

Most Somalis learn to read and write in Arabic from young age already so I don't think that making it a national script is necesserary. As a nation, I think it's important to produce an authentic somali national "profile". I think it would be good for our cultural development to infuse more authentic Somali pieces rather than be influenced by other culture like before. I think having our own script that is special to us is admirable. Not a lot of countries have that and the countries that do stand out. however, I don't think we should omit other scripts because of it. It is beneficial to learn the Arabic script and the Latin script so maybe it should be an obligatory criterion in school.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Isn't Kaddare Somali? I read on wiki that it is.

"The Kaddare alphabet is a writing script created to transcribe Somali, an Afro-Asiatic language."

-source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaddare_script

Most Somalis learn to read and write in Arabic from young age already so I don't think that making it a national script is necesserary. As a nation, I think it's important to produce an authentic somali national "profile". I think it would be good for our cultural development to infuse more authentic Somali pieces rather than be influenced by other culture like before. I think having our own script that is special to us is admirable. Not a lot of countries have that and the countries that do stand out. however, I don't think we should omit other scripts because of it. It is beneficial to learn the Arabic script and the Latin script so maybe it should be an obligatory criterion in school.
Wadaad is far more traditional. We've had it for nearly 1,000 years. This writing script is only 8 years older then Somalia.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
If Nobody chooses Wadaad then we should choose Osmaniya script. Got no issues with Kaddare but Osmaniya is way better looking and older than Kaddare.
I want to learn wadaad. My maternal family has been Hargeisa since it was established in the late 1700's by merchants. They would of definitely had learn wadaad for trading purposeses, feels like at least for me a script that I need to learn as my predecessors had. :)

Trending

Latest posts