What aspects of our language would you change or develop

What aspects of our language would you develop or change first?

• Add more loan words because the Somali language is lacking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We should abandon it for either English or Arabic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daacad90

Aspiring Buraanbur Artist.
What would you change or develop first?Would you broaden the vocabulary and make it able to function in the modern world or would you abandon it all together?

Personally,the first thing I'de change and remove is the unnecessary loan words.

Our language has a wide vocabulary and most of the loan words have a Somali counterpart. Examples are:

1. Albaab=Irid
2.Sharci=Heer
3.saxb= jaal/jaalle
4.akhi= walaal
5.laakin= ha'ahaatee, haseyeeshee
6.waqti/wakhti= ammin, xilli
7.Shacab=Dadwayne
8.Sharab=Cabitaan
9.Lahjad=Oraa
Somalis in djibouti used to have an ancient writing script, I forgot the name of it though. Somalis could adopt that writing script.

What would you change or develop first?Would you broaden the vocabulary and make it able to function in the modern world or would you abandon it all together?

Personally,the first thing I'de change and remove is the unnecessary loan words.

Our language has a wide vocabulary and most of the loan words have a Somali counterpart. Examples are:

1. Albaab=Irid
2.Sharci=Heer
3.saxb= jaal/jaalle
4.akhi= walaal
5.laakin= ha'ahaatee, haseyeeshee
6.waqti/wakhti= ammin, xilli
7.Shacab=Dadwayne
8.Sharab=Cabitaan
9.Lahjad=Oraa
There's never enough. Keep the "unnecessary" loan words and add more loan words. The most important is definitely a script change, though. I get a genuine headache reading Somali - it's not efficient. I'm no expert nor am I even interested in linguistics but surely, for a four-syllable word like "haseyeeshee", 11 letters is too long. This would be fine if it were a one-off - but it's EVERY WORD. I think the Osmanya script was perfect and we should adopt it once again. There would be benefits in all departments.

Apollo

VIP
Somalia's political situation makes it impossible to manipulate the language from the top-down. The language is currently developing completely from the bottom-up.

A country like France which is highly centralized can afford to manage its language from the top-down.

Trending

Latest posts