Was Mogadishu/Somalis better off under Italian rule?

Was it better?

• Yes

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters
Mogadishu under Italians:
46E48155-0870-42CD-823D-61EAB231476C.jpeg

538BC8C9-9CA4-4BC4-94C3-86BBBA07659A.jpeg

E8089401-D5CE-4783-A6ED-062B39726BB5.jpeg

Mogadishu now:
7263299B-7853-45CA-801C-9DB8086B3DCB.jpeg

2B137822-0B2B-4BB2-9FE7-5B1BB66F1739.jpeg

7AB30D01-85E8-4371-83DB-D8DDC04990F6.jpeg

00AA9E51-1A3C-4B4E-A88E-7127FCE8E9A1.jpeg

Was life in Mogadishu better under colonial rule? Besides the humilation of being ruled by a foreign power, it seems like the Italians built up Mogadishu pretty well.

Mogadishu was a small town no more than 50,000 under the italian rule.

The city greatly expanded under Somali rule.

With Stable governance, Mogadishu had a poverty rate of only 6% in the early 1980s with a population of close to 1 million.

Why do some people attribute the previous success of nations to colonizers. This is the most common argument I hear from non muslims. So and so country fell because they took Islam seriously, look Islam brought terror and it destroyed their nation.

The Italians benefitted Somalia, ain't nobody gonna deny that but Somalis have always been the backbone of Somalia. The difference is the people. Those days, we had quality people with both deen and dhaqan.

World

VIP
He means per capita. On average, then the answer is yes.

Sometimes we have to admit uncomfortable truths.

1339168326_852114_1339168374_album_normal.jpg
50,000 is a very small population for a capital, it does not fit the definition of a city. Of course it will be easy to build a nice looking medium sized town when you have the entire resources of Somalia. It’s not that impressive.

Comparing it to modern day Mogadishu with a population of 2.5 million is stupid.

50,000 is a very small population for a capital, it does not fit the definition of a city. Of course it will be easy to build a nice looking medium sized town when you have the entire resources of Somalia. It’s not that impressive.

Comparing it to modern day Mogadishu with a population of 2.5 million is stupid.
True

No, because being “better off” is more than a fancy capital—the nicest neighborhoods of which, I might add, were exclusive to Italians and Somalis were derogated on their own soil. The shame and emotional damage that comes with colonialism outweighs its practical benefits in such things as infrastructure construction and economic development, although I suspect Italian colonialism was an extractive form of economic colonialism rather than the constructive variety, although I am not sure as I’ve not studied Somalia’s colonial history in-depth.

But when I reject colonialism, I don’t mean to idealize Somali independence. I think Somali independence has been a disaster—Somalis have shown themselves to be an utterly backward and hopeless barbarian people, the worst even by the already low standards of black Africa. The more I have observed and studied Somalis, the stronger my conviction becomes that these people are totally unable to manage themselves in any productive and civilized manner. Which is why I would support the dissolution of Somalia into any greater political union if such an option ever became available.

No, because being “better off” is more than a fancy capital—the nicest neighborhoods of which, I might add, were exclusive to Italians and Somalis were derogated on their own soil. The shame and emotional damage that comes with colonialism outweighs its practical benefits in such things as infrastructure construction and economic development, although I suspect Italian colonialism was an extractive form of economic colonialism rather than the constructive variety, although I am not sure as I’ve not studied Somalia’s colonial history in-depth.

But when I reject colonialism, I don’t mean to idealize Somali independence. I think Somali independence has been a disaster—Somalis have shown themselves to be an utterly backward and hopeless barbarian people, the worst even by the already low standards of black Africa. The more I have observed and studied Somalis, the stronger my conviction becomes that these people are totally unable to manage themselves in any productive and civilized manner. Which is why I would support the dissolution of Somalia into any greater political union if such an option ever became available.
Elaborate?

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Ajuraan, Darood, and Italian rulers were absolutely better for Mogadishu than the ones that rule it today.
:pachah1:

VixR

Veritas

@Bold So, essentially, colonization...? Or do you mean the entirety of Somalia, the country, losing its sovereignty and being reduced to a federal state under another government?

I think you might be right, if the latter is the case. So long as they have representation in the new country as a federal state, I’m forced to agree with your observation due to the facts on the ground. Otherwise, 30 years and counting...

Actually Mogadishu was well over 50,000 under Italian rule. They had about 30,000 Italian civilians living in Mogadishu alone in 1940. Italians pretty much started everything there

553DE9E2-832E-4663-9171-BAF947DE364A.jpeg

No, it was better off during Kacaan rule. The Italians only held power in Italian Somalia, however the Kacaan presided over Ras Caseyr to Ras Kamboni and brought forth many advancements that the Somali Peninsula had never known before

End.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement

Somalis are only civilized with Sharia and Islam. Example, Mogadishu during the rule of the Islamic Courts Union vs what it is now. Your username is the answer for civilized Somalia.:fittytousand: