UK parliament to discuss recognition of Somaliland

Djokovic

Somali Arab
I'm sorry, people from 'somaliland', but no one will recognise a unilateral declaration of independence. They will have to recognise separatism in Ukraine. They will have to recognise Catalonia that is trying to break free from Spain. Or West Papua from Indonesia.
I don’t care lol not my problem

FBIsomalia

True Puntlander
VIP
This is incorrect. South Sudan was governed by the french and North by the Egyptians & British. When the French handed over South Sudan to the british the british considered both as separate countries and even had a separate administration policy so both lands would be governed independently of one another. Aside from the genocide and non stop civil war, this was a main point when the two countries were separating
Sub-Sahara part of Moroco :tocry: .

I will leave it as this:
I repeat that I find it quite odd that you think AU law somehow supports your independence, when they are your #1 opposition to your claims. All this hoopla about which Somali colonial region got independence 25 days before the other, no one gives a flying f***. The world see's two countries with identical population, and recognises a single country.

I'm not gonna waste my time googling AU documents but you know damn well AU considers the current African borders, as they are, as sacred. If they didn't you would've got independence long ago. All these legal arguments cooked up by some cadaan lawyer in the 90s just don't cut it.
I quoted what the Africa Union Act in 1964 says about independence. The African Union has conducted a fact finding mission in Somaliland and this is what they

"The AU fact-finding mission has also concluded that the situation was sufficiently ‘unique and self-justified in African political history’ and recommended that the AU ‘should find a special method of dealing with this outstanding case’."

Screenshot_20220122-170222_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The pressure to address this outstanding issue is increasing more than ever now that western nations Like UK and USA are interested in the region. Time is on our side mate:westbrookswag:

@Wir you haven't answered my question, how would you as an individual personally feel if Somalia allowed any of its FMS eg my home state Hiirshabelle the constitutional right to secede?

Reborn
I quoted what the Africa Union Act in 1964 says about independence. The African Union has conducted a fact finding mission in Somaliland and this is what they

"The AU fact-finding mission has also concluded that the situation was sufficiently ‘unique and self-justified in African political history’ and recommended that the AU ‘should find a special method of dealing with this outstanding case’."

View attachment 212734

The pressure to address this outstanding issue is increasing more than ever now that western nations Like UK and USA are interested in the region. Time is on our side mate:westbrookswag:

The colonial project called Federal government of Somalia is coming to an end and the tide is shifting.

View attachment 212734

This "fact finding mission" from 2005 was an organised lobby delegation from SL. Again, I repeat that the AU is the most vehemently institution (outside) FGS against your claims.

"Time is on our side mate"

I couldn't disagree more here. Time is most definitely not on your side.

You know damn well Somalia is developing more rapidly than at any point in the past 30 yrs.

What the poster said is true, Somaliland was at parity or close to it with Somalia for many decades as no gov existed in South, but even today that's no longer the case. I think this is why I see a lot of panic from the landers these days, they know time is of the essence, the balance of power has already shifted and the gap both militarily and economically is widening every single day. And Somaliland is handicapped to compete with Somalia as it has no recognition, lacks foreign investment & cannot buy (and afford) military hardware for conventional war.

Food for thought:
Fast forward 5 years.
AMISOM is out of Somalia. Arms embargo is lifted. Conflict with al shabab is resolved. American & international companies are invested in oil & gas exploration/production in Somalia. Further, Somalia has a military edge over SL even today, how much farther do you think that gap will be in 5 years? And remember, during all this time SL will be more or less at a standstill.

Given all that, do you think IC will be more likely or less likely to recognise SL? IC didn't recognise SL when Somalia was at its weakest, not sure why you think they'd be more inclined to do so with a much stronger FGS and when they would have a lot more to lose.

Last edited:
No federal state of Somalia has the history to become recognized as an independent Country. The African Union recognizes african colonial borders as sacrosanct. That is why only Eritrea could leave the union with Ethiopia and not oromo, tigray or the Somali region. That is also why Senegal and Gambia United to form Senegambia then after the union's failure, receded back to their former colonial borders, Like Somaliland and Somalia
Pause the delusionals for a brief moment and just ponder about how worthless your politicians must be. Somalia is a tribal society in where the gov is one of the most corrupted if not the most corrupt , during all these years you haven’t been able to even infiltrate the idea of succession into the Mogadshu parliament which is represented by corrupt officials. Just stay in Hargeisa and shout we are British, that effort will more likely increase your chances for succession.

Reborn
Fast forward 10 months and the MPs who were debating for the recognition of Somaliland are now in Cabinet :liberaltears:

The MPs in the cabinet put forward by Rishi Sunak;

Gavin Williamson (Minister of State without Portfolio)

Tom Tugendhat (Minister of State for Security)

Andrew Mitchell (Minister of State for Development)

Will it lead to recognition? Of course not but there will 100% be further engagements with Somaliland and a reassessment of the policy towards Somalia which was one of the goals of this debate. There's no need for future debates as they are now in the cabinet and no longer backbenchers begging the government as they are now the government :chrisfreshhah:

Let's hope SL can get some investments through the British International Investment which is a development finance institution of the UK government :banderas:

@0117 would you agree that the belief that Somaliland can't get recognition until Somalia fully recovers and has one government that rules all of Somalia (including PL)?

Reborn
@0117 would you agree that the belief that Somaliland can't get recognition until Somalia fully recovers and has one government that rules all of Somalia (including PL)?

Allahu Aclam :francis:

One thing people make a note of is how SL didn't get recognition in the 90s when there was no government in Xamar but people fail to make note that Somaliland had barely a functioning government just elders with no written constitutions. It's therefore not surprising why there was no recognition then but what killed it is Somaliland taking part in the London Somalia conference in 2012 :kanyehmm:

reer

VIP
Allahu Aclam :francis:

One thing people make a note of is how SL didn't get recognition in the 90s when there was no government in Xamar but people fail to make note that Somaliland had barely a functioning government just elders with no written constitutions. It's therefore not surprising why there was no recognition then but what killed it is Somaliland taking part in the London Somalia conference in 2012 :kanyehmm:
imo the leaders in hargeysa could have claimed the somali government for themselves. almost no one could oppose them because konfuria was in chaos. reer waqooyi could have got some unukaa leh time.

imo the leaders in hargeysa could have claimed the somali government for themselves. almost no one could oppose them because konfuria was in chaos. reer waqooyi could have got some unukaa leh time.
Silly idea that 1. makes no sense and 2. would never have work. Just something moronic dumb that some unionists tell themselves that has no basis in anything but pure fantasy. The only time such a thing has ever happened was in China/Taiwan and the circumstance there were night and day from the Somaliland/Somalia situation of 1991.

All the fake wadanimo would have gone out of the window day 1 and all the warlords from Bosaaso to Raas Kamboni would have violently opposed that government because they'd have had zero to do with it. Chaos or no chaos they would have had the military means to put up a significant and violent opposition. They would have fought what they saw as an Isaaq government to the last man.

All that would have happened is Somaliland would have been sucked into the violent chaos that Somalia was in. I suspect the dumb unionists would have been happy with that though as at least the former Somali Republic would have remained "united".

@0117 would reer SL accept reunification on the basis of a confederation if you guys had 1) your own military and 2) a constitutional right to unilaterally secede?
I think most of Landers would be fine with that, even though I personally wouldn't. It is a moot point though as no Somalia government would ever agree to that.

reer

VIP
Silly idea that 1. makes no sense and 2. would never have work. Just something moronic dumb that some unionists tell themselves that has no basis in anything but pure fantasy. The only time such a thing has ever happened was in China/Taiwan and the circumstance there were night and day from the Somaliland/Somalia situation of 1991.

All the fake wadanimo would have gone out of the window day 1 and all the warlords from Bosaaso to Raas Kamboni would have violently opposed that government because they'd have had zero to do with it. Chaos or no chaos they would have had the military means to put up a significant and violent opposition. They would have fought what they saw as an Isaaq government to the last man.

All that would have happened is Somaliland would have been sucked into the violent chaos that Somalia was in. I suspect the dumb unionists would have been happy with that though as at least the former Somali Republic would have remained "united".
bruh. we konfurians were busy karbashing each other. it went from clan to sub clan to sub sub clan. aint no one thinking about hargeysa. you could be having your own unukaa leh.

bruh. we konfurians were busy karbashing each other. it went from clan to sub clan to sub sub clan. aint no one thinking about hargeysa. you could be having your own unukaa leh.
And your point is that SL should have got themselves involved in that by somehow proclaiming to rule that chaos? genius.

Trending