Two Types of Somalis according to Britannica

Has anyone else noticed the tendency of (primarily Western) encyclopedias to blatantly try to erase Somalis from our own history. In the worst ways possible?

And when they include us they make up some crazy bs that I ain’t never heard about

Read this excerpt on two types of Somalis according to Britannica (a self proclaimed “fact checked” encyclopedia)

The first type:
The Somalis are primarily nomadic herdsmen who, because of intense competition for scarce resources, have been extremely individualistic and frequently involved in blood feuds or wars with neighbouring tribes and peoples. Their conception of Islam is vague, and religious practices are dominated by the worship of ancestral saints.
Confused Kid Cudi GIF by Apple Music

Worship of ancestors ? It’s known that pre islam Somalis worshipped Waaq (sun god) where tf did worshipping ancestors come from??

Now the second type:
A second category of Somalis are the townspeople and agriculturists of the urban centres, especially along the coast of the Horn of Africa, where intense and prolonged intimacy with the Islamic tradition has rendered the culture highly organized and religiously orthodox and where geographic position has turned the townspeople into commercial middlemen between the Arab world and the nomadic peoples of the interior.

Which type are y’all type A or type B Somali?🤔
Source: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Somali-people

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Has anyone else noticed the tendency of (primarily Western) encyclopedias to blatantly try to erase Somalis from our own history. In the worst ways possible?

And when they include us they make up some crazy bs that I ain’t never heard about

Read this excerpt on two types of Somalis according to Britannica (a self proclaimed “fact checked” encyclopedia)

The first type:

Worship of ancestors ? It’s known that pre islam Somalis worshipped Waaq (sun god) where tf did worshipping ancestors come from??

Now the second type:

Probably talking about sufis

Somalis are either reer Badiyo which is 1st category (Majority), and reer Magal who are City sophisticated people, 2nd category (Minority)

mohammdov

Hansare Iyo baarsare
Yes, the Somalis revered the graves of their ancestors a lot. Ask the elders in your family, and you will find that they used to visit the grave of the ancestor of their tribe for a week every year and sacrifice to him

Yes, the Somalis revered the graves of their ancestors a lot. Ask the elders in your family, and you will find that they used to visit the grave of the ancestor of their tribe for a week every year and sacrifice to him
Yes this is true, Afars even used to sacrifice camels to a “sky god” before going into battle according to European travelers, i wouldn’t be surprised if some Somalis did things similar back in the day

Wow I didn’t know I guess you really do learn something new everyday👀Admittedly I have a huge bias against Britannica I just assumed bs cuz so much other problematic stuff they wrote I dont Even have the energy rn for😂🤣
For example they saying shit like Mogadishu and basically all of somalia was an Arab settlement and Somalis “came in” in the 10th-13th century like what? How does that even make sense like Somalis are colonized but we kept our own language and culture? They always be lying so I just assumed oops🙈 Not to mention when I looked it up I didn’t find anytjing

Thank you guys for the history lesson

Last edited:
Alsooo it threw me off the way they were like the first type is the “bloodthirsty violent” type as if the urban Somalis are doing any better rn 😂😂😂😂

Wow I didn’t know I guess you really do learn something new everyday👀Admittedly I have a huge bias against Britannica I just assumed bs cuz so much other problematic stuff they wrote I dont Even have the energy rn for😂🤣
For example they saying shit like Mogadishu and basically all of somalia was an Arab settlement and Somalis “came in” in the 10th-13th century like what? How does that even make sense like Somalis are colonized but we kept our own language and culture? They always be lying so I just assumed oops🙈 Not to mention when I looked it up I didn’t find anytjing

Thank you guys for the history lesson
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Nin123

Patriarchy is from Allah
VIP

The first type:

Now the second type:

Each clan have their A&b some are city folks and other nomads