Tiktok video highlights how many Arabic words in our language

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
whats a somali doing hanging out with TWO arabs? you never wanna be the odd one out in trio. its either a trio of one ethnicity or a trio of three ethnicities :MNWheelchair:

I am the only Somali in my friend groups. I either exclusively hang out with desis or arabs, both groups are very chill people.

That is primarily because there are not many Africans let alone Somalis at my uni.

Arabisation is cancer

I think any culture eroding is horrible but Somali culture is not being Arabised, if anything its being brought back.

Imagine where we would be if we did not have a Somali script today?

We wouldn't be any different from Sudan. Somali would be an informal language that isn't used anywhere except for informal settings.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Wait did I misread or did someone on this thread say "Arabs wore clothes before us"

The self-hate is real wallahi.

reer

VIP
I am the only Somali in my friend groups. I either exclusively hang out with desis or arabs, both groups are very chill people.

That is primarily because there are not many Africans let alone Somalis at my uni.

I think any culture eroding is horrible but Somali culture is not being Arabised, if anything its being brought back.

Imagine where we would be if we did not have a Somali script today?

We wouldn't be any different from Sudan. Somali would be an informal language that isn't used anywhere except for informal settings.
before 1969 arabic italian and english were the written languages. so government officials would talk to each other in somali and write in arabic italian or english. from the coup for a few years the government wrote in italian. then in 1972 somali was written. then when we joined the arab league arabic and somali were written.
IMG_20210618_232256.jpg

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
before 1969 arabic italian and english were the written languages. so government would talk to each other in somali and write in atabic italian or english. from the coup the government wrote in italian. then in 1972 somali was written. then when we joined the arab league arabic and somali were written.
View attachment 189483

Completely agree but most Somalis learnt Arabic from a young age.

It was language of instruction for elementary/primary school in both colonies. Also, dugsi was in Arabic back then and in the rare chance your macalin taught in Somali, you would have still done tafseer in Arabic and learnt the language then.

Italian and English was spoken by those that either finished secondary school or worked for the colonial administrations. The colonial admins did not bother teaching everyone Italian or English.

Therefore, the language situation in Somalia was untenable. Many politicians after independence wanted a slow transition to using Arabic only and promoting that in schools.

However, Siyaad Barre came in 1969, introducing a written script for Somali and exclusively using it. Basically borrowing a leaf out of Attaturk's book.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Completely agree but most Somalis learnt Arabic from a young age.

It was language of instruction for elementary/primary school in both colonies. Also, dugsi was in Arabic back then and in the rare chance your macalin taught in Somali, you would have still done tafseer in Arabic and learnt the language then.

Italian and English was spoken by those that either finished secondary school or worked for the colonial administrations. The colonial admins did not bother teaching everyone Italian or English.

Therefore, the language situation in Somalia was untenable. Many politicians after independence wanted a slow transition to using Arabic only and promoting that in schools.

However, Siyaad Barre came in 1969, introducing a written script for Somali and exclusively using it. Basically borrowing a leaf out of Attaturk's book.
if siyaad barre didn't come in with the script, somali wouldn't have been taught in school. how are they going to teach a language without a script. we would've become fully arabised because Arabic would have been considered the working langauge

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
if siyaad barre didn't come in with the script, somali wouldn't have been taught in school. how are they going to teach a language without a script. we would've become fully arabised because Arabic would have been considered the working langauge

My point exactly.

reer

VIP
My point exactly.
arabic was the diplomatic and educational language for generations. if there was no script somalia would be like other sub saharan countries where they use colonial languages for education and diplomacy. but somalis would use arabic and english and shift away from italian. no way would somalis be arabized. because the geeljires would preserve the language.

Al Muslim

الموت لامريكا الموت لإسرائيل
arabic was the diplomatic and educational language for generations. if there was no script somalia would be like other sub saharan countries where they use colonial languages for education and diplomacy. but somalis would use arabic and english and shift away from italian. no way would somalis be arabized. because the geeljires would preserve the language.

No we would have used the Arabic script or maybe even Osmanya which were the 2 widely used ones to write the Somali language. Choosing the latin script was a mistake as it doesn't suit our language and it is from Europe.

King Khufu

Dignified Gentlemen
Somalia has historically always spoke its own main language. First and Foremost.
That's the fact and that's that! #BlenderTwist

reer

VIP
No we would have used the Arabic script or maybe even Osmanya which were the 2 widely used ones to write the Somali language. Choosing the latin script was a mistake as it doesn't suit our language and it is from Europe.
english and italian dont have the à é í ó ù so their left over typewriters didnt have them thats why we use aa ee ii oo uu instead. it was quicker to implement on a mass scale. osmanya wont become popular because of clan mentality and it resembles xabashi writing. hadaysan jirin script then i dont think somalis would be able to agree on a script let alone write a language for the 1st time without a gun to their heads like 1972.

am i the only one that says iskalsho for socks ?
this actually the only other word I heard for socks but rarely in af Somali. To me it always sounded bit Italian. Something about it sounds very foreign. Anyone know if it is Italian? I just looked up the Italian word for socks and it’s “calzini”

Let's be honest here, the Arabs have bordered advanced civilisations like the Persians and Romans. If you want to get on an Arab's nerves though say that their language has a lot of Persian loanwords (it's true btw).
That really gets them going:lolbron::pachah1:
Haha. That’s the funny, because before Prophet Mohammed PBUH and Islam Arabs were virtually unknown among the great civilizations of the Near East. They could never rival with the Persians or Romans! Arabs only became visible because of Islam. And even then they never reached the level of ancient Persia or Rome or Egypt. Their greatest contribution to the world is our Prophet and the Quran. Not downplaying this but both were divine miracles not something they worked or built themselves. Did you know even in 60/ early 70s when UAE and Saudi were developing, most of their inhabitants were completely and utterly illiterate. They were herding camels in their desolate deserts.

Last edited:

reer

VIP
Haha. That’s the funny, because before Prophet Mohammed PBUH and Islam Arabs were virtually unknown among the great civilizations of the Near East. They could never rival with the Persians or Romans! Arabs only became visible because of Islam. And even then they never reached the level of ancient Persia or Rome or Egypt. Their greatest contribution to the world is our Prophet and the Quran. Not downplaying this but both were divine miracles not something they worked or built themselves. Did you know even in 60/ early 70s when UAE and Saudi were developing, most of their inhabitants were completely and utterly illiterate. They were herding camels in their desolate deserts.
egypt the levant and baghdad outpaced geeljires over 1000 years ago. arabs have more fertile land than somalis. not just arabs examples mansa musa's reign as malian emperor was probably more advanced than any somalis the last 1000 years. egypt is the most advanced country in africa.

egypt the levant and baghdad outpaced geeljires over 1000 years ago. arabs have more fertile land than somalis. not just arabs examples mansa musa's reign as malian emperor was probably more advanced than any somalis the last 1000 years. egypt is the most advanced country in africa.
Really don’t know how this contradicts or even relates to my original comment lol
giphy.gif

King Khufu

Dignified Gentlemen
Both old and modern influences of Islam has leaven Arabic loanwords as common place with Somali culture including Language influence as well as religious thinking.

Trending