The tales of the Merchant of Mogadishu. Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merchant of Mogadishu

From Pella to Pattala, then back to Babylon
If you have not seen part 1 already, my esteemed readers, then here is the link for it:

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/the-tales-of-the-merchant-of-mogadishu-part-1.30714/

As I left my city, my home, I felt a sense loss within my heart, as if I had lost a valuable item, but at the same time I felt as if my fate had taken me away from Mogadishu, I sighed "if it is written, then so shall it be."

My new steed, or Samatar as I named it, was quite the animal. The previous owner told me he served in a few ambassadorial expeditions from Mogadishu, to the city states of Kilwa and Malindi, so it was already well versed in travel and I expected it to be expensive, however Samatar was only worth about 200 Dirham so surprisingly, it was pretty cheap, a delight for me, since I had left over coins to spend on supplies. It was pretty tall for an Arab breed, and was golden brown in colour.

My plan was to follow the coastline all the way to Hobyo (which was the northern most outpost of the Ajuraan Sultanate), grab a few more essential supplies, then head off to the Port of Berbera, where the Sultan of Mogadishu has placed there a ship for me to travel on, instead of subjecting me to the harsh deserts up north. I have a slight feeling I'll have to pay him back. As I was following the coastline as usual, darkness fell on me and it was time to let not only let my steed, but myself take a well earned rest. Oh, how I wish I had taken a trusty friend with me, as bandits love to feast on the flesh of merchants or diplomats, to steal their wealth, to kill them, or to sell them into slavery, I have heard terrible stories that I do not wish to delve into. The night was beautiful, I never witnessed a clearer sky than that night, the stars were beaming bright and the moon was so reflective, it was as if you can see your own face on it.

Alhamdulillah, that night was as peaceful as you can get, no harm came to me, or my steed. So, once I prayed Fajr, and let Samatar munch on the grasses nearby, I headed north, to Hobyo, as fast as I could. An hour passed and there was no sign of the city, only the loud crashes of waves, the songs of the morning birds and a slight breeze. Another hour passed, still no sign of the city, the only people you can find are the local fisherman, and one of them told me to stop, it seemed he wanted to talk to me. I didn't know what to do, I didn't have anytime to stop and parle, that would be a detriment to my mission, I am being counted on by the Sultan himself. But another side of me, wanted to stop, my curiosity was unbearable and my mind, kept on telling me to wait and talk to this man, that he may actually have something important to say. So I stopped and got off my horse, I was a few metres away from him and then suddenly a terrible thought came across my mind. What if this lowly fisherman is not here to talk but to steal from me, even kill me. I had sufficient time to draw my sword and defend myself. But then, he spoke, in an anxious tone;

"Turn back to where you came from young man, this is a dreadful path you are taking."

I then replied, "But why, fisherman, why do I need to turn back, unless something has happened to Hobyo."

He then exclaimed, "Yes, young man, Hobyo has been attacked, by the disbelievers."

I then had an immense sinking feeling in my heart, my hold body froze in shock and in fear, my greatest fear in this journey was close to becoming a reality, me being captured by the Portuguese. Their greed knows no bound, knows no end, they will stop at nothing until every coast belongs to them and them only. If I ignored this honourable fisherman, then great harm could've befallen me in Hobyo, I then in a thankful, but still troubled tone, replied,

"Thank you so much, how about your family, are they safe and well?"

"Yes they are, young man, I took them to one of the nearby villages inland, well away from the infidel ships that they use to blow up our cities."

But before I could speak again he offered me to stay at his temporary home in the village for the day,

"You seem to come from a long way, young man, would you like to stay at my home for dinner?"

I didn't really want to stay since that would put a detriment on my mission, but this man saved my life and he same very hospitable, so I could not resist. And anyway, the attack on Hobyo should provide me with a suitable excuse as why my mission took longer than expected. So I humbly accepted his offer and he showed me his abode. We had, dinner together, it was the scrumptious soor and fish that he recently caught. Quite tasty if you ask me. I then said my goodbyes to him, but before I left his home, I received some important advice,

"I'm guessing now, you will be off to complete your mission? Always be cautious of where you will be going, keep your wits about you, a man such as yourself should be financially wise, and most of all, a problem can be seized only by its head, one cannot it by its tail."

As I rode my horse inland, through the dry and desolate roads, I kept repeating to myself what that man told me. I must confront all my problems head on, cowardice is not an option. As I moved through the savannah and out of the boundaries of the Ajuraan Sultanate, I realised, that ill have a very long way to go before I set foot in the palace of the Mamluk Sultan.

You write these yarns yourself Merchant?

Not bad. Not bad at all. Let's see more of this creative side of Merch than your conservative side.

I remember you very lazy merchant back in the day. I bet you only stopped to talk to that fisherman in order to avoid your royal duty :bell:

Merchant of Mogadishu

I remember you very lazy merchant back in the day. I bet you only stopped to talk to that fisherman in order to avoid your royal duty :bell:

No, this was my very first mission. I had to impress the Sultan, there was no way I would ruin the mission and so ruin my reputation.

Merchant of Mogadishu

Well I've met you later in life so I didn't know about this mission but I recall you sleeping a lot in our journey to Gujarat

Sleeping a lot? That's preposterous. I would never do such a thing, you mistake me for another merchant. Especially on a trip to Gujarat, the gateway to the treasures of India.

Merchant of Mogadishu

Mercantilism? You're not only stuck in the dark ages theologically, but economically as well. Mercantilism is positively feudal.

Anyway, good piece of writing. Keep up the historical fiction.

As the good ol saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Mercantilism is still a great way to earn a living.

Also this is historical fact, not fiction. This is the story of my life.

Hey Merchant, do you by any chance suffer from maladaptive daydreaming? You've got the marks of a world-builder, a Somali C.S Lewis in the making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts