The Somali ethnicity and language probably emerged in Southern Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Ogaden is the biggest, have been there far longer than the other irrelevant tribes mentioned. "recent" kulaha. tribes like makaahiil and cawliyahan owns gariis and wajiir both the biggest cities. The other dude said 300 years, so im gonna agree with that one. degodia are only limited to the north. ogaden owns more thatn half nfd,

You're quite the retard, are you not?

:jaynerd:

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
on the contrary, you just said, and I qoute "The Degodia are also fairly recent" impliying that ogaden are fairly recent.

You are confusing being recent arrivals to NFD with size in terms of numbers and land. Ogaden have the most land in NFD, more than Garre Ajuraan and Degodia combined, and are the largest single clan. But, they are the most recent arrivals of all four. The Ogaden managed to expand into Garissa and Wajir within the colonial period. Wajir was a Boran settlement as recently as 1915. The Garre have always lived in the area, the Ajuraan arrived about 400 years ago and became shegato of the Boran, the Degodia arrived a little earlier than the Ogaden.

There are Ogaden in their 80s in NFD today who were born in Afdheer or Godey. The Ogaden have very little history in NFD or Jubaland for that matter.

Ajuuraan are originally from the vicinity of Berbera in northern Somalia, they moved to central Somalia in the middle ages and around 1300 they established their kingdom north of Mogadishu. They expanded by conquering the south in the 1400s, suffered a decline in the 1500s and were slowly pushed southwards throughout the 1600s ending up where they now live in the far south by the 1700s.

This is a common tale of Somali clans. Garre are originally from Sarar in the upper Shabelle valley, Marexan are originally from the eastern Hawd where a minority of them still live, etc.

Last edited:
I
You are confusing being recent arrivals to NFD with size in terms of numbers and land. Ogaden have the most land in NFD, more than Garre Ajuraan and Degodia combined, and are the largest single clan. But, they are the most recent arrivals of all four. The Ogaden managed to expand into Garissa and Wajir within the colonial period. Wajir was a Boran settlement as recently as 1915. The Garre have always lived in the area, the Ajuraan arrived about 400 years ago and became shegato of the Boran, the Degodia arrived a little earlier than the Ogaden.

There are Ogaden in their 80s in NFD today who were born in Afdheer or Godey. The Ogaden have very little history in NFD or Jubaland for that matter.
Interesting history. I' admit i was confusing those two things. but i'll just repeat what my aabo told me, that we're originally from buale and have been in nfd for generations. he wasn't specific so it could be 130 years as you said before. which I just relized is 5 generations. If that's true then my bad.

Ajuuraan are originally from the vicinity of Berbera in northern Somalia, they moved to central Somalia in the middle ages and around 1300 they established their kingdom north of Mogadishu. They expanded by conquering the south in the 1400s, suffered a decline in the 1500s and were slowly pushed southwards throughout the 1600s ending up where they now live in the far south by the 1700s.

This is a common tale of Somali clans. Garre are originally from Sarar in the upper Shabelle valley, Marexan are originally from the eastern Hawd where a minority of them still live, etc.
The forefather of the Marehan is buried in the outskirts of gardho

The camel was one of the last animals to be domesticated. Long after proto-Cushites had goats and cattle. I suspect they pushed into Puntland, Somaliland, and Djibouti when they got camels.

Hunter-gatherers or pastoralists with goats/cattle can't survive in big numbers in Northern Somalia.

By the way, old school South Somalis would be genetically identical to modern-day North Somalis in my hypothesis. So don't sweat it! No Bantu lived there back in those days.
If Somalis originated from the south why don't we have same facial features as the bantus who lived in a tropical area.

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
There was probably a back to migration people moved North and then back South.

Status
Not open for further replies.