The Somali ethnicity and language probably emerged in Southern Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, most likely 0% or less than 1%. I was speaking in general, as not all Somalis are the same.

Kenyan Somalis have this mostly. While Somalis from Somalia do not, at least based on what I have seen so far.

You're a mod too??? what is going on? :faysalwtf:

You had me going until you said Borana Oromos came from Southern Somalis. Oromos are a vast and diverse federation, not a single ethnicity. The ones who live close to Harar and Babile down to the Borana Oromos areas look a lot like Somalis because they're likely the closest relatives to the Somalis from the Oromos.

Doesn't mean they broke from the Somalis though (src: part that type of Oromo)

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
You had me going until you said Borana Oromos came from Southern Somalis. Oromos are a vast and diverse federation, not a single ethnicity. The ones who live close to Harar and Babile down to the Borana Oromos areas look a lot like Somalis because they're likely the closest relatives to the Somalis from the Oromos.

Doesn't mean they broke from the Somalis though (src: part that type of Oromo)

If you study the oromo expansion in the 16th century. They assimilated Somalis in Hararghe highlands after the collapse of Adal Sultanate. The ones you're talking about were originally Somalis.

fcRTsFD9Q3Ki6HRfwds8dg.png

If you study the oromo expansion in the 16th century. They assimilated Somalis in Hararghe highlands after the collapse of Adal Sultanate. The ones you're talking about were originally Somalis.

fcRTsFD9Q3Ki6HRfwds8dg.png

Holy shit dude, you're literally talking about my people. I'm part Afran Qallo and I must tell we pass for Somalis easily, even culturally we're not as - mind my stereotypes - as feeble as regular Oromos. My Aunt's got the guts and business acumen of any Somali woman, and she looks very Somali too.

I stand corrected. Thank you for that source btw!!! I'm excited to share that with my brothers

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
What book is this from btw?

Book: Being and Becoming Oromo: Historical and Anthropological Enquiries

By the way, eastern Oromos (Afran Qallo) are the only foreign people that look Somali from characteristics to culture. You're just very Somali to us lol. So it's really not surprising if you guys were originally Somalis.

Book: Being and Becoming Oromo: Historical and Anthropological Enquiries

By the way, eastern Oromos (Afran Qallo) are the only foreign people that look Somali from characteristics to culture. You're just very Somali to us lol. So it's really not surprising if you guys were originally Somalis.

I'm getting this book. I have always thought myself as sort of different from Somalis, a bit mixed you know bc well my parent doesn't know too well about that side of it. But now I feel as Somali as any since I've grown up in Hargeisa bc of strange luck and speak Somali.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
I'm getting this book. I have always thought myself as sort of different from Somalis, a bit mixed you know bc well my parent doesn't know too well about that side of it. But now I feel as Somali as any since I've grown up in Hargeisa bc of strange luck and speak Somali.

Wtf you grew up in Hargeisa? You need to make a thread about yourself, you seem a very interesting person.

I agree with the gist of Amuns theory.

The Sab and Samaale who lived along the banks of the Jubba and Shabelle rivers split off into different Qollo after the population increased and there was too much pressure to sustain farming/cattle herding .Qollo in ancient Cushitic languages means age- set .

When the original Somalis increased in number, Qollo became clan and clan became tribe .The Samale were for the majority cattle meat traders , ie. those who made “ Maal/income “ from “SO/inside meat of cattle”.

According to Sheikh Sadiq Enow, The Sab were those who were skilled in herding large amounts of cattle.{in modern Somali the word sabsab means to cajole someone into changing their idea or an action they may have taken, like convincing a female to not leave you). Some time later , these people ,knowing that they were once related , invented the mythical figure of Hiil, Samale etc -the Arab patriarchs were introduced much later.

Following the mass introduction of camels into the Samaale clans, the Samaale left the original Somali home land around South-Western Somalia to occupy most of the Ogaden, Eastern and Northern Somalia.These people became the likes of the Gaaljecel aka the camel lovers and the Abgaal aka the father of the camel and they became solely reliant on camel herding as they ventured deep into arid Somali territory . These camel herders developed the Af Maxa Tiri dialect of the Somali speakers , but the original Somali spoken by them is probably closer to the Southern Somali dialects or Af Maay .

There could have possibly been a migration of Hawiye or ex Dir clans after they accepted Islam around a1000 years from the Harar or North Western Somalia vicinity.Some Somali speakers confuse these secondary migration events with the original Proto-Somali migrating from Ethiopia (Ancient Somaloidia) into South Somalia and then beyond.

Reerwin speakers themselves migrated deep into places like Barawa and probably into Northern Kenya ( ancient Somaloidia), where they became the famed Maracato and Madanleh etc. The Maay variant speakers practised agro-pastoralism.

I disagree with Amun on the origin of Rendille and Borana though .I will explain why tomorrow .The weird Afar-Saho substratum which exists in some Northern dialects also needs addressing.

I agree with the gist of Amuns theory.

The Sab and Samaale who lived along the banks of the Jubba and Shabelle rivers split off into different Qollo after the population increased and there was too much pressure to sustain farming/cattle herding .Qollo in ancient Cushitic languages means age- set .

When the original Somalis increased in number, Qollo became clan and clan became tribe .The Samale were for the majority cattle meat traders , ie. those who made “ Maal/income “ from “SO/inside meat of cattle”.

According to Sheikh Sadiq Enow, The Sab were those who were skilled in herding large amounts of cattle.{in modern Somali the word sabsab means to cajole someone into changing their idea or an action they may have taken, like convincing a female to not leave you). Some time later , these people ,knowing that they were once related , invented the mythical figure of Hiil, Samale etc -the Arab patriarchs were introduced much later.

Following the mass introduction of camels into the Samaale clans, the Samaale left the original Somali home land around South-Western Somalia to occupy most of the Ogaden, Eastern and Northern Somalia.These people became the likes of the Gaaljecel aka the camel lovers and the Abgaal aka the father of the camel and they became solely reliant on camel herding as they ventured deep into arid Somali territory . These camel herders developed the Af Maxa Tiri dialect of the Somali speakers , but the original Somali spoken by them is probably closer to the Southern Somali dialects or Af Maay .

There could have possibly been a migration of Hawiye or ex Dir clans after they accepted Islam around a1000 years from the Harar or North Western Somalia vicinity.Some Somali speakers confuse these secondary migration events with the original Proto-Somali migrating from Ethiopia (Ancient Somaloidia) into South Somalia and then beyond.

Reerwin speakers themselves migrated deep into places like Barawa and probably into Northern Kenya ( ancient Somaloidia), where they became the famed Maracato and Madanleh etc. The Maay variant speakers practised agro-pastoralism.

I disagree with Amun on the origin of Rendille and Borana though .I will explain why tomorrow .The weird Afar-Saho substratum which exists in some Northern dialects also needs addressing.

There are Afar words spoken by the Somalis who speak the Waqooyi Galbeed accent.

He’s not talking about that. Maxa Tiri and Afar/Saho share grammar/linguistic similarities(not vocabulary) that isn’t found in the Maay dialect.

I might have got confused. Lol
It could be that Somalis as they expanded West, picked up some of the culture of neighboring populations.

Status
Not open for further replies.