The origin of the name Somali

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting theory. Somalis can't agree on anything but agreed to a name for all of us that urban peoples agreed to as well?

It's weird to me how this name wasn't mentioned until fairly recently but we're an old group. When did we agree to be Somalis?

I think the general agreement of a "Somali nation" existing is a modern development from Somali nationalism that began in the 19th century. Prior to this there was no concept of a Somali nation, there was rather a Hawiye nation and a Darod nation and so on

So clan names existed they just werent that relevant? Thats interesting and seems a more peaceful way to organize us.

The clan names existed and were relevant but the way they applied to people was different. Clans were more like Rahanweyn clans, where lineage is a private thing and instead the clans are regional confederations.

I think the general agreement of a "Somali nation" existing is a modern development from Somali nationalism that began in the 19th century. Prior to this there was no concept of a Somali nation, there was rather a Hawiye nation and a Darod nation and so on
That's true but we were Somali people it's just that it took a back seat to tribe which it still kind of does. Like the Samaale ancestor real or not is accepted across the board.

Apollo

VIP

If you can communicate in the same language then there's a nation.*

*Excluding empires like the Arab Empire/Roman Empire etc based on conquest rather than ethnicity.

If you can communicate in the same language then there's a nation.*

*Excluding empires like the Arab Empire/Roman Empire etc based on conquest rather than ethnicity.

Do you think Garre, Maay and Maxaa explain the seeming inability of the Somalis to unite?

Apollo

VIP
Do you think Garre, Maay and Maxaa explain the seeming inability of the Somalis to unite?

The reason why Somalia is a failed state is complex. It isn't just about ethnicity but also ideologies (Authoritarian Marxism, Neo-Colonialism, Islamic Fundamentalism, Regional Separatism etc) that all had an influence in the last few decades.

The reason why Somalia is a failed state is complex. It isn't just about ethnicity but also ideologies (Authoritarian Marxism, Neo-Colonialism, Islamic Fundamentalism, Regional Separatism etc) that all had an influence in the last few decades.

So what causes the regional separatism?

The white man caused Djibouti, Somaliland and all the shitty borders.

That was a long time ago and there have been many opportunities since to unite. Somalia and Somaliland were once united, but split. You were talking about the last few decades.

Apollo

VIP
That was a long time ago and there have been many opportunities since to unite. Somalia and Somaliland were once united, but split. You were talking about the last few decades.

Look at Eritrea vs Ethiopia.. people don't like to give up sovereignty once they have been granted it.

Look at Eritrea vs Ethiopia.. people don't like to give up sovereignty once they have been granted it.

I'm not at all certain that explains Somalia and Somaliland, or the difficulties now facing the "united" Somali government in Muqdisho.

I tend to think of the Barre regime as an empire rather than a nation. I know the Maay speakers think Maxaa was imposed on them and used to keep them down as second-class citizens, and that both Somaliland and Puntland have very strong opinions with regard to the treatment Barre gave them.

Darood doesn't exist.

I count 30 to ogaden, and that's where my lineage ends. I am not interested what's before it.

f*ck the terrorist oday darood if he existed.

Somali nationalism is and was an ambitious goal, the clans were never united in one state prior to 1960 and on the contrary had a long history of rejecting any state authority. The achievement of 1960 was exceptional as it went against all traditions and history.

An Ancient Chinese document from the 9th century CE referred to the northern Somalia coast — which was then part of a broader region in Northeast Africa known as Barbara, in reference to the area's Berber (Cushitic) inhabitants[52] — as Po-pa-li.[53][54] The first clear written reference of the sobriquet Somali, however, dates back to the 15th century. During the conflict between the Sultanate of Ifat based at Zeila and the Solomonic Dynasty, the Abyssinian emperorhad one of his court officials compose a hymn celebrating a military victory over the Sultan of Ifat's eponymous troops.[55] Simur was also an ancient Harari alias for the Somali people.[56]

Popali is none other than an asian's attempt at pronouncing babari. Because as we know, chinese have diffuculties with their Ls and Rs.

Also the ethiopian victory hymn solidifies my theory as its still during the time of Darood. Which proves that Darood successfully started a caliphate that pseudohistory is trying to muddy and make ambigious. A caliphate so successful that it has made the irrelevant coastal barbars possessors of the largest single ethnic land in all africa. With one religion and language and one ethnic name, Somali.(notice that somali was not found in reference to hornafricans prior to the birth of Isma'il al jabarti )

Last edited:
Screenshot_20190309-200431_Drive.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts