The Land of Gaabarta

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the old travelogues, the land of Gaabarta (or Jabarta in Arabic) was south of Harar, according to 19th century explorers who asked local people, it could be found to the south-east of Malingur Ogaden territory and was centered on a lake called Gaabarta. This would be in the vicinity of Segeg or perhaps Gerbo.

According to the old travelogues, the land of Gaabarta (or Jabarta in Arabic) was south of Harar, according to 19th century explorers who asked local people, it could be found to the south-east of Malingur Ogaden territory and was centered on a lake called Gaabarta. This would be in the vicinity of Segeg or perhaps Gerbo.

Zayla' was described to be in the land of Jabart, and it's where the Egyptian historian said his ancestors were from. In fact the lodgings in Azhar for students from the area was sometimes called Riwaq az-Zayali'a (the Zayli'i Riwaq) or Riwaq al-Jabart which indicates Jabart being located in the environs of Zayla' (Saylac)

Zayla' was described to be in the land of Jabart, and it's where the Egyptian historian said his ancestors were from. In fact the lodgings in Azhar for students from the area was sometimes called Riwaq az-Zayali'a (the Zayli'i Riwaq) or Riwaq al-Jabart which indicates Jabart being located in the environs of Zayla' (Saylac)
Zeilac could have been a generic name of a wider geographic location.

To be honest I didn't read James's post properly. I didnt realise that he was positing it to have been in the somali region; I thought he was trying to say it was somewhere else entirely :duck:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

You're right but Zeila was a very known city which is why they called the region Zeila instead. Same thing with Axum.

Check this source out. It basically agrees with your testimony but only some trading partners referred the region like that. However, the Somali peninsula was still mostly referred to as Barbara.

JXGWL1IBQY6Y3RITGmWwcw.png

Zeila (or Zawilah) could be the Biblical location of Havilah. and Somalis ancient name was Avalites. @Factz

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Zeila (or Zawilah) could be the Biblical location of Havilah. and Somalis ancient name was Avalites. @Factz

Yeah, they were ancient Somali city-states and they were known as Zeila (Havilah), Malao (Berbera), Mundus (Hies), Bulhar, Mosylon (Bossaso), Opone (Ras Hafun) and many more. The Somali peninsula was reffered as "Barbara" by the ancient Romans, Persians, Indians and Arabs. They bordered the Axum Empire in the north and Azania in the south.

The Adal region located in East Africa, and its port city Zaila is believed to take its name from Havilah.[3][4] Benjamin Tudela, the twelfth century Jewish traveler, claims the land of Havilah is confined by Al-Habash on the west. Local traditions also assert Furra, a queen of the Havilah Gadire clan ruled in East Africa.[5][6]

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havilah

As a side note Avalites is the Greek rendering of the name of the town, it was probably more like Awal (first) meaning the first port. Zeila in old Somali was called Awal and Oromized Somalis in Hararghe still call it that.

All the town names from the Periplus of the Erythraean sea are the Greek translation of originally Arab names for Somali towns and ports. It's important to keep in mind names like Avalites or Malao are not the local name for those places.

As a side note Avalites is the Greek rendering of the name of the town, it was probably more like Awal (first) meaning the first port. Zeila in old Somali was called Awal and Oromized Somalis in Hararghe still call it that.

All the town names from the Periplus of the Erythraean sea are the Greek translation of originally Arab names for Somali towns and ports. It's important to keep in mind names like Avalites or Malao are not the local name for those places.
Have you read anything about the Kaariye? Are they extinct or completely absorbed by the Oromo?

According to your fellow Eritrean user at Somnet, this is the origin of Somali's. What do you think? It is similar to what you posted re: Havilah
Not Semitic Arabs..

According to Old Eritrean Folklore and After reading Arabic sources Including "The old tribes of Yemen" Book, Somali's Lived in the arabian Peninsula Before Moving to the Horn. They are descandents of Kush Third Son "Havilah" Through "Dirr", I would presume Dir Is the oldest Qabil Is that correct??

If so that would make Somali's the older Cousins of Eritreans who are descandents of Kush fourth Son Sabta and fifth Son Sabteca. Somali's Lived on the west coast of saudia arabia and have an ancient town named after their ancestor "Havilah", They southern and northern Nighbours qabil were today's eritreans (Beja and Saho). They were historically from Iraq forming the indo Kushtic Groups In mesoptomia.

Over the years The "dir" moved to the horn and the northern Beja Moved to Egypt and east Sudan Through Egypt (Ababda,Bisharin,hendondwa,amrar) while the southern Beja Moved to Eritrea through yemen (Bani amer,habab,belew kelew,halenga etc.) The dir Moved through yemen to Eritrea then moved south and inwards. the only argument is the afars some sources say they are sons of sabta while other say they are sons of havilah, maybe mixed between Both descandents.

https://www.somnet.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif We were Nieghbours and allies Missing the good old old old days. https://www.somnet.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

oh oh forgot to say they mention how sons of havilah were very good traders and sons of Sabta were Good in organising and settling dispute while sons of Sabteca were just warriors. It also says that ancient Somali's,Eritreans were called Belad el Eryth "land of the red sea people" because both occupied both sides of the sea at one stage. https://www.somnet.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gifFunny i can't even find anything about The ethiopians ancestors (agew) i think they actually might be Nilotic in origin who adopted a kushtic language.

Republic of erythomalia

https://www.somnet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=290525

According to your fellow Eritrean user at Somnet, this is the origin of Somali's. What do you think? It is similar to what you posted re: Havilah

https://www.somnet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=290525

A Somali friend of mine posted something like that on here, but the mods didn't like it, so it got deleted from the public. somalis and other ethiopians+eritreans came from across the red sea(Arabia), before they established "the land of punt". He spoke about the Gebel el-Arak Knife that Somalis, Ethiopians, and Eritreans have to this day in their culture.

The people of punt were called the "falcon tribe of Horus". A quick google search on the "falcon tribe" should tell you that they have origins in Arabia.

A Somali friend of mine posted something like that on here, but the mods didn't like it, so it got deleted from the public. somalis and other ethiopians+eritreans came from across the red sea(Arabia), before they established "the land of punt". He spoke about the Gebel el-Arak Knife that Somalis, Ethiopians, and Eritreans have to this day in their culture.

The people of punt were called the "falcon tribe of Horus". A quick google search on the "falcon tribe" should tell you that they have origins in Arabia.
I read that cushites lived on both sides of the Red Sea. So in Arabia and in East Africa. I've always believed that and maybe our stories about being from Yemen are true but the 'Arab' and Banu Hashim part was added later on?

Even Irir Samaale was said to have come from Yemen.
Also, apparently Punt is associated with Ham's other son, Phut and not Cush. Its all very mysterious but I know that we are Cushites both in name and in blood. We are the last descendants of Cush to still carry his name. The rest have left their roots behind.
Also, archeologists and anthropologists agree Yemen was a Cushitic kingdom, so anything is possible. http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/we/index.htm
Yes, Yemen (or at least part of it) was but many people will try to discredit that to push the idea that Africans are inferior.

I read that cushites lived on both sides of the Red Sea. So in Arabia and in East Africa. I've always believed that and maybe our stories about being from Yemen are true but the 'Arab' and Banu Hashim part was added later on?

Also, apparently Punt is associated with Ham's other son, Phut and not Cush. Its all very mysterious but I know that we are Cushites both in name and in blood. We are the last descendants of Cush to still carry his name. The rest have left their roots behind.

Yes, Yemen (or at least part of it) was but many people will try to discredit that to push the idea that Africans are inferior.

I'm glad you brought the Banu Hashim story. I was actually thinking of making a thread, that will finally put that story to rest/inform people. To begin, you first have to know who Ismail was. Ismail (Ishmael), was Semitic/Sumerian on his father’s side and Egyptian on his mother’s(Hamitic). 2nd, who were the Sumerians?

The earliest civilization of Mesopotamia was that of the Sumerians. They are designated in the Assyrio-Babylonian inscriptions as the black-heads or black-faced people, and they are shown on the monuments as beardless and with shaven heads. This easily distinguishes them from the Semitic Babylonians, who are shown with beards and long hair. From the myths and traditions of the Babylonians we learn that their culture came originally from the south. Sir Henry Rawlinson concluded from this and other evidence that the first civilized inhabitants of Sumer and Akkad were immigrants from the African Ethiopia. John D. Baldwin, the American Orientalist, on the other hand, claims that since ancient Arabia was also known as Ethiopia, they could have just as well come from that country. https://warlockasyluminternationaln...tity-of-the-sumerians-as-seen-in-ancient-art/

ny.jpg

Hajr was the daughter of Egyptian king and second wife of Abraham she was gifted to prophet Abraham from the king of Egypt. (Wikipedia). That's that origin of Ismail.

Simply put, the "Banu Hashim clan, are a mixture of Hamitic and Semitic(but more on the Hamitic side). SO TO END ALL THIS. THE STORIES COULD BE TRUE.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

Abaayo, Phut are Berbers modern day Libyans. Punt associated with Cushites especially ancient Somalis.

This map is not 100% correct but it shows you where Phut is located.

latest

Sumerian isn't Semitic though, the Sumerian language isn't even Afro-Asiatic, it's something else entirely.

The Sumerians are a people of immense prestige, they invented civilization. Because of this prestige, everyone has claimed them, there have been attempts to identify Sumerian with everything from Basque to Chinese.

They are unique and lost, there are no more Sumerians, the language faded away more than 4000 years ago.

The name the Sumerians had for themselves was the Ungsanggiga, which meant the Black Headed People.

Sumerian isn't Semitic though, the Sumerian language isn't even Afro-Asiatic, it's something else entirely.

The Sumerians are a people of immense prestige, they invented civilization. Because of this prestige, everyone has claimed them, there have been attempts to identify Sumerian with everything from Basque to Chinese.

They are unique and lost, there are no more Sumerians, the language faded away more than 4000 years ago.

The name the Sumerians had for themselves was the Ungsanggiga, which meant the Black Headed People.

Indeed my friend, they truly are mysterious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending