The independence referendum which paved way for Eritreas independence took place from 22-25 of april 1993

EritreanPost_

EritreanPost 🇪🇷🇩🇯🇸🇴🇸🇩🇪🇬 |Eritrean news blogger
B91B5EB2-A4EF-412E-B6F5-95EE945D8623.jpeg

The independence referendum was held in Eritrea from 23 to 25 April 1993. More than 99% of Eritrea voted for independence. After the Eritreans faced 30 years of brutal war by Ethiopia, which the Eritreans won, the independence referendum paved the way for Eritreas independence.

EritreanPost_

2383C7ED-0999-4961-8072-CB052F40693A.jpeg

Eritrean 🇪🇷EPLF forces in the Ethiopian capital Addis Abeba after they defeated the Ethiopian Derg army 🇪🇹

EritreanPost_

The Eritrean defeated Ethiopia unlike the Ogaden resistance which only ran and hide from Ethiopia army.
My beloved brother you cannot compare Ogaden rebels with a conventional army like the Eritrean army is.

ONLF was only a Guerilla militia. Eritrea’s army’s is a conventional well equipped and large army.

ONLF doesn’t even have air power or a navy. But Eritreas army today and the EPLF Guerilla had patrol boats anti tank missiles and air defence systems ( all seized from the enemies). And Eritrea brought toppled the Ethiopian Derg regime by blocking Ethiopia access to the Massawa and Assab Port, which later led to the fall of the Derg in Eritrea.

But ONLF even shot down Ethiopian helicopters during TPLFs invasion on Ogaden and Somalia in 2006.

ONLF even fought in Mogadishu against the TPLF.

even during Eritrean independence struggle the EPLF was conventional force.

plus Somalia and Ogaden are low top lands, conventional warfare against a larger army is difficult in such areas.

but Eritrea beeing very mountainous is the reason why we were able to defend our lands against Ethiopia in the 30 year war and 1998 border war.

Last edited:

Nin123

The most hated man in here
VIP
My beloved brother you cannot compare Ogaden rebels with a conventional army like the Eritrean army is.

ONLF was only a Guerilla militia. Eritrea is conventional well equipped and large army.

ONLF doesn’t even have air power or a navy. But Eritreas army today and the EPLF Guerilla had patrol boats anti tank missiles and air defence systems ( all seized from the enemies)

But ONLF even shot down Ethiopian helicopters during TPLFs invasion on Ogaden and Somalia in 2006.

plus Somalia and Ogaden are low top lands, conventional warfare against a larger army is difficult in such areas.

but Eritrea beeing very mountainous is the reason why we were able to defend our lands against Ethiopia in the 30 year war and 1998 border war.
It’s true mountains area is the hardest to fight and control examples like USA couldnt defeat Taliban in Afghanistan mountains.

Nin123

The most hated man in here
VIP

ONLF was only a Guerilla militia. Eritrea’s army’s is a conventional well equipped and large army.

ONLF doesn’t even have air power or a navy. But Eritreas army today and the EPLF Guerilla had patrol boats anti tank missiles and air defence systems ( all seized from the enemies). And Eritrea brought toppled the Ethiopian Derg regime by blocking Ethiopia access to the Massawa and Assab Port, which later led to the fall of the Derg in Eritrea.

I have this question for you mate. Did you get drafted to Eritrean army? And how strong is it compared to Ethiopia like how many tanks, armoured vehicles and jet fighters does it have?

EritreanPost_

I have this question for you mate. Did you get drafted to Eritrean army? And how strong is it compared to Ethiopia like how many tanks, armoured vehicles and jet fighters does it have?
I haven’t served in the army. But I have many fam in the army who fought during the independence struggle and the 1998 border war.

Eritrea has more tanks than the Ethiopian army. Eritrea has 1.700 tanks https://finance.yahoo.com/news/15-countries-most-battle-tanks-173412434.html#:~:text=Eritrea ranks among countries with,by the Eritrean armed forces. , the largest tank arsenal in east Africa and the 2nd/3rd largest in Africa, Eritrea has also a larger army than Ethiopia, Eritrea has more than 500.000 soldiers because mandatory military service, 100.000s active soldiers and 100.000s of reservists.

but because of the previous arm embargo which was placed against Eritrea by Ethiopia and the west due to Eritrea’s support for the ICU gov in Somalia, Eritrea was unable to import heavy weaponry.

ethiopia has a larger Air Force.

but even during the 1998 border war when Ethiopia received fighters jets and mecaneries from abroad, Eritrea has shot down Ethiopian fighters jets and the Ethiopian Air Force legend has been imprisoned as a pow twice.

🇪🇷🪖🪖🪖✈️

Last edited: