The geledi chronology

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://shcas.shnu.edu.cn/_upload/ar...d4e2/7b2a673e-fa6e-4c1b-835d-2eb34c65098e.pdf

1560- The Ajuraan Imaamate emerges
1600- The Muzzaffar dynasty replaces the Fakhruddin in Mogadushu
1671- The Banadir ports side with the Omanis against the Portuguese in East Africa
1750- The Geledi Sultanate emerges at Ay Ulay in the southern Shabelli valley.
1843- Yusuf Mahamud of Geledi captures and burns Bardera
1848- Yusuf Mahamud of Geledi killed at Golweyn (Adaddey Suleyman)
1878- Ahmad Yusuf of Geledi killed at Cagarran

for Factz:

https://books.google.com/books?id=DPwOsOcNy5YC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=Yusuf+and+the+battle+of+Golweyn&source=bl&ots=mP43LyCt6p&sig=3oHTnby2rRuI0IBJnAthZ6dkkK0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinz9uEkszbAhXIv1QKHYitCQsQ6AEIUTAE#v=onepage&q=Yusuf and the battle of Golweyn&f=false

The Geledi were in competition with the Bardera Jamaaca, the Biimaal in Marka, and others, for control of the South, all of which was outraged when the Jamaaca burned Baraawe in an attempt to establsih a port. It was therefor an easy matter for Yusuf to raise the whole of the Shabelli and parts of the inter-riverine area against them. But he burned Bardera and did not hold it. Five years later he was unable to raise allies and was killed when he invaded the Biimaal. 30 years later his son Ahmad also tried to get access to a port and met the same fate.

The Geledi did not control the South. They ruled Reewiin clans in Bay, Bakool, Gedo, and northeast of Afgoye, They were agro-pastoral and not maritime.

Wiki is hugely full of BS on these subjects.

Last edited:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
http://shcas.shnu.edu.cn/_upload/ar...d4e2/7b2a673e-fa6e-4c1b-835d-2eb34c65098e.pdf

1560- The Ajuraan Imaamate emerges
1600- The Muzzaffar dynasty replaces the Fakhruddin in Mogadushu
1671- The Banadir ports side with the Omanis against the Portuguese in East Africa
1750- The Geledi Sultanate emerges at Ay Ulay in the southern Shabelli valley.
1843- Yusuf Mahamud of Geledi captures and burns Bardera
1848- Yusuf Mmahamud of Geledi killed at Golweyn (Adaddey Suleyman)
1878- Ahmad Yusuf of Geledi killed at Cagarran

for Factz:

https://books.google.com/books?id=DPwOsOcNy5YC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=Yusuf+and+the+battle+of+Golweyn&source=bl&ots=mP43LyCt6p&sig=3oHTnby2rRuI0IBJnAthZ6dkkK0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinz9uEkszbAhXIv1QKHYitCQsQ6AEIUTAE#v=onepage&q=Yusuf and the battle of Golweyn&f=false

The Geledi were in competition with the Bardera Jamaaca, the Biimaal in Marka, and others, for control of the South, all of which was outraged when the Jamaaca burned Baraawe in an attempt to establsih a port. It was therefor an easy matter for Yusuf to raise the whole of the Shabelli and parts of the inter-riverine area against them. But he burned Bardera and did not hold it. Five years later he was unable to raise allies and was killed when he invaded the Biimaal. 30 years later his son Ahmad also tried to get access to a port and met the same fate.

The Geledi did not control the South. They ruled Reewiin clans in Bay, Bakool, Gedo, and northeast of Afgoye, They were agro-pastoral and not maritime.

Wiki is hugely full of BS on these subjects.

Barawa is a Tunni city and last time I checked Tunni is a sub-clan of Digil closely related to Geledi and it was under Geledi Sultanate.

You cannot deny they had a coast.

800px-Horn1915ad_fin.png

The Ajuraan Imaamate emerges in the early 13th century by the way so stop your bullshit.

Barawa is a Tunni city and last time I checked Tunni is a sub-clan of Digil closely related to Geledi and it was under Geledi Sultanate.

You cannot deny they had a coast.

800px-Horn1915ad_fin.png

The Ajuraan Imaamate emerges in the early 13th century by the way so stop your bullshit.

Total BS. Your map is dated 1915, with the whole thing under the Italians..

We know the Geledi did not hold Bardera and that the Bajunni were still in Kismayu at this point.

You rely way too much on maps and seriously need to improve your reading comprehension.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Total BS. Your map is dated 1915, with the whole thing under the Italians..

We know the Geledi did not hold Bardera and that the Bajunni were still in Kismayu at this point.

You rely way too much on maps and seriously need to improve your reading comprehension.

I just told you about Barawa. Kismayo was a Somali port during the Ajuran period, did you not read the other sources I gave you?

The map I gave you was authentic. So what it was under Italian protectorate? It shows what these Sultanates controlled which debunks your lies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just told you about Barawa you fool? Kismayo was a Somali port during the Ajuran period, did you not read the other sources I gave you

You don't have sources other than the ones on Wiki you have already doctored. Give me one. What you have are opinions.

Just read Mohamed Haji Mukhtar.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
You don't have sources other than the ones on Wiki you have already doctored. Give me one. What you have are opinions.

I've given you books and pages, not Wikipedia. Check them out again, too lazy to repeat them.

1555 Luug Aw Madow, Sarmaan Aw Umur, and Mereerey Aw Hassan, all theocratic city-states, emerge in southern Somalia.
1560 The Ajuran Imamate in south-central Somalia emerges.
1600 The Muzaffar dynasty replaces the Fakhruddin in Mogadishu.
1670 Ottoman Turks become the rulers of Zayla and parts of northwestern Somalia.
1671 Banadir ports support Omanis against the Portuguese in East Africa.
1750 The Geledi Sultanate, later known as Afgoy, emerges in Ay Ulay in the southern Shabelle valley. 1800 Formation of the Majerteen Sultanate in Bandar Alula.
1819 Sheikh Ibrahim Hassan Yeberow establishes a reformed Jama’a in Bardera in the Upper Juba region.
1839 The British establish a garrison in Aden.
1840 Yusuf Ali breaks from the Majerteen Sultanate and moves to Hobyo.
1843 Yusuf Mahamud, sultan of Geledi, captures and burns Bardera. The expedition is a counteroffensive to the political and economic impact of the reforming Jama’a.
1846 Charles Guillain visits coastal Somalia and writes on the socioeconomic conditions of Mogadishu, Marka, Barawa and Afgoy.
1848 The sultan of Geledi, Yusuf Mahamud, is killed at Adaddey Suleyman, a village near Marka, in a battle between the Biamaal and the Geledi confederacy.
1869 The Suez Canal opens.
1878 Sultan Ahmad Yusuf (1848–1878) is killed at Agaaran, near Marka, by the Biamaal.
The Geledi army retreats.
1884–1885 The scramble for Africa: Europeans sign “friendship” and protectorate treaties with Somali clans.
1886 Britain and Germany agree to recognize the sovereignty of Zanzibar over parts of the East African coast, including some ports of Somalia.
1887 Menelik II of Ethiopia conquers Harar

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
You're just too lazy, period. You have no links.

Kismayo was part of Ajuran Empire and here are the sources below debunking your lies once again.

Here is the source of the map shows you Kismayo was a port of Ajuran Empire.

MRkKlu_CQ5qvYQTxJbRamA.png

Here is another source stating what Ajuran controlled a port called Kismayo. It also tells you Ajuran Empire were maritime Empire that traded around the world. Had flourishing ports and sucessfully resisted both Portuguese and Oromo invasions.

h6j9EcKEQWCM9tzF96g8HA.png

Read your own links for a change:

Your. map says the Ajuraan were an Imamate, not an empire. . Your link says the Geledi secured the trading routes and promoted foreign trade. It doesn't say they carried on any such foreign trade.

Even Wiki says the Geledi got their guns from coastal Somali traders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Somalia

"The Gobroon army numbered 20,000 men in times of peace, and could be raised to 50,000 troops in times of war.[25] The supreme commanders of the army were the Sultan and his brother, who in turn had Malaakhs and Garads under them. The military was supplied with rifles and cannons by Somali traders of the coastal regions that controlled the East African arms trade."

Note that 50,000 was the combined army that fought the Bardera Jamaca. The Geledis did not have a port and were severel;y weakened after the first loss to the Biimaal. They were minor potatoes after 1878.

Last edited:
Grant you're our Caucasian family (we Somalis are the original Caucasians) on a Caucasian brother level just keep spreading positivity on Somali history. You have to pass @Factz though. He's a lion :salute::salute:

The Lion is not fuley. He is just wrong.

Honest to God, I am E-L29 = E1b1b1c1a

Last edited:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Read your own links for a change:

Your. map says the Ajuraan were an Imamate, not an empire. . Your link says the Geledi secured the trading routes and promoted foreign trade. It doesn't say they carried on any such foreign trade.

Even Wiki says the Geledi got their guns from coastal Somali traders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Somalia

"The Gobroon army numbered 20,000 men in times of peace, and could be raised to 50,000 troops in times of war.[25] The supreme commanders of the army were the Sultan and his brother, who in turn had Malaakhs and Garads under them. The military was supplied with rifles and cannons by Somali traders of the coastal regions that controlled the East African arms trade."

Note that 50,000 was the combined army that fought the Bardera Jamaca. The Geledis did not have a port and were severel;y weakened after the first loss to the Biimaal. They were minor potatoes after 1878.

The source I just linked also says Empire. Ajuran was an Empire since it was ruled by a single dynasty known as the Garen Dynaty.

Anyways back to Geledi Sultanate. It was a maritime kingdom.

Study the Somali mairitime history. Geledi Sultanate had access to Barawa and Kismayo. Tunni people are Rahanweyn and all of Rahanweyn were under the Gobroon Dynasty.

"In the early modern period, successor states of the Adal and Ajuran empires began to flourish in Somalia, continuing the tradition of seaborne trade established by previous Somali empires. The rise of the late 17th century Gobroon Dynasty in particular saw a rebirth in Somali maritime enterprise. During this period, the Somali agricultural output to Arabian markets was so great that the coast of Somalia came to be known as the Grain Coast of Yemen and Oman. Somali merchants also operated trade factories on the Eritrean coast."

Reference 1: East Africa and the Indian Ocean By Edward A. Alpers page 66

Reference 2: voyage to Abyssinia, and travels into the interior of that country by Henry Salt page 152

"Kismayo – Sister city of Mogadishu and an important trade outlet during the Gobroon Dynasty."

Source: Horn of Africa of Islamic page. 445

Yes, Bimaal defeated Geledi Sultanate because they tried to annex Merka because they didn't have enough ports. Don't forget at their height they also controlled Mogadishu and Lamu.

Anyways, Geledi Sultanate dominated the East African trade and even dominated the East African arms trade. Your own Wiki backs up my claim.

The source I just linked also says Empire. Ajuran was an Empire since it was ruled by a single dynasty known as the Garen Dynaty.

Anyways back to Geledi Sultanate. It was a maritime kingdom.

Study the Somali mairitime history. Geledi Sultanate had access to Barawa and Kismayo. Tunni people are Rahanweyn and all of Rahanweyn were under the Gobroon Dynasty.

"In the early modern period, successor states of the Adal and Ajuran empires began to flourish in Somalia, continuing the tradition of seaborne trade established by previous Somali empires. The rise of the late 17th century Gobroon Dynasty in particular saw a rebirth in Somali maritime enterprise. During this period, the Somali agricultural output to Arabian markets was so great that the coast of Somalia came to be known as the Grain Coast of Yemen and Oman. Somali merchants also operated trade factories on the Eritrean coast."

Reference 1: East Africa and the Indian Ocean By Edward A. Alpers page 66

Reference 2: voyage to Abyssinia, and travels into the interior of that country by Henry Salt page 152

"Kismayo – Sister city of Mogadishu and an important trade outlet during the Gobroon Dynasty."

Source: Horn of Africa of Islamic page. 445

Yes, Bimaal defeated Geledi Sultanate because they tried to annex Merka because they didn't have enough ports. Don't forget at their height they also controlled Mogadishu and Lamu.

Anyways, Geledi Sultanate dominated the East African trade and even dominated the East African arms trade. Your own Wiki backs up my claim.

Total BS with 0, ZERO accessible links. The trade was there. It just wasn't the Geledis involved in the coastal portion of it.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Total BS with 0, ZERO accessible links. The trade was there. It just wasn't the Geledis involved in the coastal portion of it.

Gave you the book and pages, go to google book or other book sites if google book don't work. I'm not going to feed you with the spoon. I can't make this up if I copied and pasted these.

Geledi Sultanate had access to the coast, now run along with those facts.

Gave you the book and pages, go to google book or other book sites if google book don't work. I'm not going to feed you with the spoon. I can't make this up if I copied and pasted these.

Geledi Sultanate had access to the coast, now run along with those facts.

BS. Geledi lost two major wars and destroyed themselves trying to get access. I don't think you even know what a link is. If it is not accessible, it is not a link.

You are clearly just playing safe by providing garbage quotes nobody can get to. All you need is one actual link to actual data. These games are not getting it.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
BS. Geledi lost two major wars trying to get access. I don't think you even know what a link is. If it is not accessible, it is not a link.

You are clearly just playing safe by providing garbage quotes nobody can get to. All you need is one actual link to actual data. These games are not getting it.

Remember one source you showed me stating that all Rahanweyn were under Gobroon dynasty rule? Gobroon dynasty is a royal ruling house that governs Geledi Sultanate right? Barawa is a Tunni city you fool so it makes sense Barawa was under Geledi Sutlanate so was Kismayo until the Darood expansion. Let's not forget Mogadishu was also under Geledi Sultanate control which is why Zanzibar Sultanate only claimed it as nominal because the real power in that areas were the Gobroons so was Lamu where Ahmed Yusuf went to Lamu coast and told the Omani king to pay him tribute there. I also gave you an Italian map showing you Sultanates under the protectorate and what lands they govern. Geledi Sultanate was just power hungry which is why they wanted to annex Merca, it doesn't mean they didn't have access to the coast lmfao! Are you telling me Bimaal merchants armed Geledi Sultanate LOL? It was their own Rahanweyn brethren who live on the coast and they too were under Geledi Sultanate.

Your contradicting yourself again. :camby:

Remember one source you showed me stating that all Rahanweyn were under Gobroon dynasty rule? Gobroon dynasty is a royal ruling house that governs Geledi Sultanate right? Barawa is a Tunni city you fool so it makes sense Barawa was under Geledi Sutlanate so was Kismayo until the Darood expansion. Let's not forget Mogadishu was also under Geledi Sultanate control which is why Zanzibar Sultanate only claimed it as nominal because the real power in that areas were the Gobroons so was Lamu where Ahmed Yusuf went to Lamu coast and told the Omani king to pay him tribute there. I also gave you an Italian map showing you Sultanates under the protectorate and what lands they govern. Geledi Sultanate was just power hungry which is why they wanted to annex Merca, it doesn't mean they didn't have access to the coast lmfao! Are you telling me Bimaal merchants armed Geledi Sultanate LOL? It was their own Rahanweyn brethren who live on the coast and they too were under Geledi Sultanate.

Your contradicting yourself again. :camby:

Utter BS. You still have yet to come up with a single link.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
In the early modern period, successor states of the Adal and Ajuran empires began to flourish in Somalia, continuing the tradition of seaborne trade established by previous Somali empires. The rise of the 19th century Gobroon Dynasty in particular saw a rebirth in Somali maritime enterprise. During this period, the Somali agricultural output to Arabian markets was so great that the coast of Somalia came to be known as the Grain Coast of Yemen and Oman.[19] Somali merchants also operated trade factories on the Eritrean coast.[20]

Click the numbers on the reference numbers. Nothing I said was BS.

In the early modern period, successor states of the Adal and Ajuran empires began to flourish in Somalia, continuing the tradition of seaborne trade established by previous Somali empires. The rise of the 19th century Gobroon Dynasty in particular saw a rebirth in Somali maritime enterprise. During this period, the Somali agricultural output to Arabian markets was so great that the coast of Somalia came to be known as the Grain Coast of Yemen and Oman.[19] Somali merchants also operated trade factories on the Eritrean coast.[20]

Click the numbers on the reference numbers. Nothing I said was BS.

No link More BS.. Nowhere there does it say the Geledi were doing the coastal trading or had a port. The agricultural output was great as this was the slave/plantation period, most of which was under the "diverse Hawiyye "clans. Note that it is "Somali Merchants" doing the trading, and not the Geledi. Nassib Bundo of the Gosha has treaties during this period with both the Tunnis and Baraawe, so they were acting independently.

The Abgal and Omanis controlled Mog. The Biimaal controlled Marka and the Bajunnis still had Kismayu. End of story.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
No link More BS.. Nowhere there does it say the Geledi were doing the coastal trading or had a port. The agricultural output was great as this was the slave/plantation period, most of which was under the "diverse Hawiyye "clans. Note that it is "Somali Merchants" doing the trading, and not the Geledi. Nassib Bundo of the Gosha has treaties during this period with both the Tunnis and Baraawe, so they were acting independently.

The Abgal and Omanis controlled Mog. The Biimaal controlled Marka and the Bajunnis still had Kismayu. End of story.

Why are you avoiding Barawa old man? That's a Rahanweyn port that used to be under Geledi Sultanate control. Kismayo was always a Somali settlement, I just given you the sources that it used to be an Ajuran port until it came under Geledi Sultanate you liar. Oman never controlled control Mogadishu, it was all nominal. It was militarily under Hiraab Imamate but economically under Geledi Sultanate. I've given you those sources before, don't you dare make me do it again.

As for Nassib Bundo. He was an ex-slave and the Gosha tribe were Bantu slaves working on plantation the Jubba valley to keep the Geledi Sultanate economy running.

This is an authentic map of 1915 the italian protectorates and it shows you the Geledi coast.

800px-Horn1915ad_fin.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts