The Cushitic One Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMG_7390.PNG
IMG_7390.PNG

El padrone

Hedonist, Depressive realist, Existential nihilist
When I was on a trip to Iceland about ten years ago, I remember standing on the harbourfront in Reykjavik, and looking at the blue fjord north of the city. Across the choppy blue waves was a glacier, maybe twelve or twenty miles away - a big, dirty white tongue of ice crashing down from the bald black mountains with infinite slowness. Intrigued, I asked some hungover local about the glacier, its name and whereabouts. He told me the name of the glacier. Then he told me the name of the sea-channel: Faxafloi. But then he added that the glacier wasn't twenty miles away, it was two hundred miles away. The air in Iceland, he explained, is so clear and unpolluted, things look nearer than they are.
I turned and looked again at the glacier, framed by the imperial blue waters of the fjord. I felt a blood rush in my heart. The scenery was so breathtaking, and so majestic - I was moved and gratified - and yet I was obscurely troubled at the same time. The sense of unexpected distance was dizzying and confusing as well as exhilarating.
This may seem far-fetched as an analogy, but it's the best I can do. The feeling I had by that fjord is, somehow, the same weak and head-spinning feeling I get when I look at a truly beautiful woman, like @The Cushitic One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending